Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yogyakarta - staying at Manohara as base?

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the many helpful trip reports on this forum, thanks! So glad to be doing travel planning again! This time is a trip to Yogyakarta (from Singapore) for maybe 3 nights, mainly to Borobudur and Prambanan Temples. Want to stay at Manohara for early access to Borobudur. Is staying at Manohara for 3 nights and using that as a hotel base for Yogyakarta a good/bad idea? Since Manohara is within temple complex, does it mean it will be a hassle (or restricted hours) to get in/out and there's nothing around? Prefer not to have to switch 2 hotels in 3 nights. What other attractions are there in Yogyakarta besides the temples? Scenic rice terraces close by?
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

So I contacted Manohara and they said, "Currently, visitors are not allowed to climb up to the temple, only on the ground (on the grass) only." That's a big bummer!
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 11:29 AM

I had to refresh my own memory of what we did in and around Borobodur by looking at our blog. Indeed I entitled one of our posts "More to Magelang than Borobodur" and indeed there is. I am just not sure I would spend 3 days there without being able to climb up the temple. By far the best views were from the top at dawn and dusk.

We enjoyed our time around Yogyakarta and spent a week there split between Yogya and Magelang. We rented bikes and got out not the countryside (and yes, there are rice terraces - or at least fields). Would have been even better if we hadn't visited during Ramadan.

We covered some of the places we visited in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/indonesia/

Really liked our time in Indonesia . I think we spent a couple of months there in total. We traveled down through Java by train and over to Bali by ferry before heading to Sulawesi which was spectacular!