Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Yes, ANOTHER Bangkok hotel question! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/yes-another-bangkok-hotel-question-578901/)

eurotraveller Dec 31st, 2005 10:16 AM

Yes, ANOTHER Bangkok hotel question!

Greetings and happy New Year a day early!

We are a little over a month way from our trip to Thailand and we haven't yet booked our hotel for Bangkok at the end of our trip.

Upon arrival we are staying for 3 nights near the river in a one bedroom apartment at Centre Point Silom.

We have done hours of research and we are trying to narrow down our choice of hotels for the end of our trip.

Our criteria:

$70-100 per night

Centerally located for great variety of night life and dining (walking distance)

Novotel Siam seems to be a good choice with good reviews and great location. Do you think this would be the best choice?

We have also been drooling over the Old Bangkok Inn but we know it isn't very conveniently located.

I have looked at just about every Bangkok Hotel website so no need to provide links to them.

I don't plan on staying at the Marriott, Pen or Oriental or any other riverside hotel since we are staying there at the beginning of our trip.

I would really like to hear about hotels that all you fodorites have stayed in.

Cheers!

eurotraveller Dec 31st, 2005 10:37 AM

I forgot to mention we are also considering the Davis.

robmac Dec 31st, 2005 10:45 AM

We stayed at the Pathumwan Princess. We booked it through Sawadee.com. I liked that because the price included all taxes and breakfast was also included. The hotel is right next to the MBK Centre which might be a good or bad thing for you.

NoFlyZone Dec 31st, 2005 10:46 AM

Take a look at the B2000/night Tarntawan Place on Surawong across from the Ramada. A nice 3.5-4-star place with a cute little restaurant. Very quiet because it's set back from the street. Large rooms, modern, clean.

althom1122 Dec 31st, 2005 01:12 PM

Oh - I was hoping you'd be at Centre Point Shilom again so we could just go to Cabaret Calypso together. Guess we'll just have to meet there! (Old Bangkok Inn looks wonderful to me - I, too, found it tempting.)

eurotraveller Dec 31st, 2005 01:24 PM

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, Karen! We really wanted to try a different hotel on our way back through.

My boyfriend just booked The Davis Hotel. Although it isn't near the Sky Train or subway, this is the first hotel that we had considered months ago. It gets great reviews! What would you think of meeting at the hotel bar for a drink before the show? That way we can all go in together.

rhkkmk Dec 31st, 2005 04:24 PM

make sure to take pics of the davis inside and out...a couple of people have reported on it but not much is known by our regular fodorites....i have thought about it a couple of times...

it is not as convenient as some hotels honestly but take taxis....

althom1122 Dec 31st, 2005 04:27 PM

Yes, let's try to meet up for a drink at the hotel before the show. That would be great. As I mentioned, I'll get a message to you at the beginning of both our trips and maybe we can get the concierge to make reservations for both of us at the same time so we can be sure to get seats together at the show. Looking forward to it!

mayb Jan 1st, 2006 09:29 AM

My husband and I stayed at Novotel Siam Square during our last 4 nights in Bangkok at the beginning of this month and I would highly recommend it. It is right at the Siam BTS which is also the stop where you can switch lines. There are plenty of shops and dining and a "young feel" to the area. Sukumvit (more dining) is 2-3 BTS stops away (10 minutes max). There are also 5 or so huge malls in the area. We paid 68 USD a night including breakfast/ taxes/ service charge.