Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   YAYY! Singapore Airlines launches premium economy class (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/yayy-singapore-airlines-launches-premium-economy-class-1040723/)

WeisserTee Mar 20th, 2015 03:47 AM

YAYY! Singapore Airlines launches premium economy class

http://siapremiumeconomy.com/

We're planning a trip to Singapore next year and :-D Zurich to Singapore is one of the routes with the new PE class.

progol Mar 20th, 2015 07:22 AM

Looks good -- planning a trip in 2016 and will try to schedule this when booking.

Thanks for the info.

Kristina Mar 20th, 2015 11:14 AM

Looks nice, but...ouch the fares.
Looked at LAX-Tokyo for next year. Lowest price economy was $881. Premium Economy was $2100!
LAX to SIN was $1028 in econ and $1953 in PE.

Kathie Mar 20th, 2015 11:41 AM

Well, the seat has a foot rest which is a big improvement over economy seats. There is an in-seat power supply and two USB ports, which is nice. I like the reading light. And champagne (the real thing) is always welcome. But - the seats are up to 19.5 inches wide (meaning some of them are less) which doesn't strike me as a very big seat. And they conspicuously didn't say what the distance between seats is. If the seats are comfy enough - enough space between rows, etc, I'd be glad to buy a ticket at that price rather than spend my miles for biz.

Guenmai Mar 20th, 2015 11:22 PM

I bought a round-trip ticket, in Premier Economy last month, for my December 2015 flight. It's for LAX-Singapore round trip. Then, two days later, the airfare dropped $144. less. I called Singapore Air, here in L.A., to see if I could get some kind of adjustment and they said that it wasn't possible although I had booked on their website. I'm happy that I'll be in Premiere Economy as I used to take a similar class on Thai Air, but I'm not happy to be out of $144. I was told that the reason for the decrease was that the price of fuel dropped. Oh?

Happy Travels!

Kristina Mar 21st, 2015 05:12 AM

Kathie- The pitch is 38".

And sure the seats are nice, but worth an extra $900-$1200? Not for me.

Guenmai Mar 21st, 2015 10:36 AM

As for Premiere/Premium Economy on flights, I love not only the comfort, but the fact that that class can board before the regular Economy class boards. It's a lot more relaxing to just be able to board the plane relaxed and also know that there will be overhead storage space when one gets to one's seat. Plus, on Singapore Air, there are only around 30 seats in that class as I counted them when I was selecting my seat.

I wish there had been Premiere/Premium Economy on the 7 flights that I was on this last vacation to S.E. Asia that I just got back from last month. I was gone 6 weeks and was more than tired of airports, long, boarding lines, and wondering if there would be any overhead-bin space by the time I reached my seat. Plus, there were the long lines for the restrooms. I think that Premiere/Premium Economy uses the Business class restrooms. But, on the last trip, I flew Economy since Business Class is too expensive. So, for me, although the airfare fell by $144., two days after I bought my ticket, the $2,098.57 that I paid for it is worth it as Business Class would have cost a whole lot more.

Happy Travels!

Guenmai Mar 21st, 2015 10:45 AM

Forgot to add that Business Class, rd.trip, L.A. to Singapore runs $4,973.33.

Happy Travels!

AskOksena Mar 23rd, 2015 02:05 PM

Warm Singapore morning greetings to the OP, WeisserT, and many thanks for your lovely opening post; warms my heart.

My modest personal and professional SIA biases aside, do believe SQ's future Premium Economy offerings will satisfy certain sectors of the world-wide flying community. Not too terribly long ago, had the privilege of participating in a SIA sponsored hands-on - and seat-on - demonstration of her PE hard product. All was most acceptable for me -- and found the PE seat width more than adequate. As always, "your mileage may vary", with various aspects of the new SQ addition. No surprise (to me) for this roll-out, given that ongoing and increasing competition SIA daily encounters from various Asian, Middle Eastern, and other, carriers.

For your future Zurich <-> Singapore SIA Premium Economy flights, WeisserT: at present those SQ 345/346 sectors will be via those serene SIA A380s with your own dedicated PE "mini-cabin" on the lower deck, all of ~ five rows. As always, stay abreast of possible changes via: singaporeair dot com/ (and check out the PE "Book the Cook" dining options -- and you too, "Guenmai": well done on booking your LAX <-> SIN SQ flights). Enjoy.

Savour your SIA PE planning, WeisserT and all; happy for you. Flying SQ to Japan later this week for work and sakura (we hope); any PE updates, will pass along,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...