Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Yangon: Strand or Governor's Residence
Notices

Yangon: Strand or Governor's Residence

May 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Yangon: Strand or Governor's Residence

I'm planning a trip to Burma at the end of August, and, after the tour has finished, I'm going to be staying for two nights on my own in Yangon/Rangoon.

I'm trying to decide between the Strand and the Governor's Residence. Can anyone help me with a recommendation?

Thanks.
May 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM

We love the Strand. We like being right in the city, and the rooms at the Strand are lovely - all suites. The governor's residence is out of the city. It is green and has a swimming pool. I don't like the rooms as well, and someone we met had bad things to say about the bathrooms - small, cramped and moldy they described them (I didn't see any mold or mildew when we viewed the rooms). The baths at the Strand are very large with double sinks and separate shower and soaking tub. Also, at the Strand, you have 24 hour butler service.
May 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for a really helpful reply!
Jun 10th, 2012, 12:54 AM

I've just returned from the Governor's Residence and I loved it! All depends what you are looking for and where you want to be. I did have a look at The Strand, but only at the public areas, so cannot comment on the rooms.
The Governor's Residence is in the so-called diplomatic neighbourhood, but we did not find it far from anywhere.
It was the most peaceful hotel I have ever been to! The grounds are lovely; it is quiet and secluded and at times it felt as if we were in our own private oasis. Of course this is the rainy season and so none of the hotels are full right now.
The pool is dark green, and blends in beautifully with the gardens. I did read one review on Trip Advisor where someone wrote that it looked murky, but I didn't think so.
Service was exceptional and we were made to feel really special.
Our room was 101 - a garden view room. It is very colonial. If you're looking for something really up to date and modern - this is not for you. However we found it charming and elegant. My only complaint would be that the dark wood made it a bit dark, and at times I might have appreciated a bit more light!
Our bathroom was large with an enormous stone bath; shower over the bath. I did not see a speck of mould anywhere.
We loved the privacy and seclusion. Also loved the upstairs terrace where we could sit and read or have a quiet drink or just gaze out at the gardens.
When we visited The Strand I was put off by the young boys selling postcards outside - the only place in Yangon we were ever hassled; and these boys were very persistent and quite rude. Obviously not the fault of the hotel, but the hotel staff watched us being hassled and said nothing.

Search this Thread