Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Yaang Come Village (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/yaang-come-village-636672/)

nancydarst Aug 4th, 2006 01:03 PM

Yaang Come Village

Is Yaang come Village worth the $? Is it more expeensive than other hotels we are looking at and was wondering if anyone has stay there?

Kathie Aug 4th, 2006 01:47 PM

Nancy, there are lots of recent review of YCV. Just type Yaang Come into the search box and you'll find many.

drtravels Aug 4th, 2006 03:34 PM

I haven't stayed there yet but will next week. I came to the conclusion that spending the extra $25/nt over other places is worth it for a few nights. Try tripadvisors.com for more info.

SueHuml Aug 4th, 2006 05:08 PM

We liked it, good location, nice rooms, though it's not like the lux hotels in BKK for the equivalent price. I was glad we were there and not at one of the larger hotels. We got a pretty good rate inluding breakfast- the staff were lovely, nice little fruit gift in the room and a tiny flowers arrangement each evening. Great atmosphere, -quiet- even though so close to the market. The free internet on the veranda is great. I've never emailed in such a nice location before.
Sue

Bella_Bluebell Aug 5th, 2006 06:48 PM

The hotel is in a great location and beautiful.

However, make sure you ask for a room that is NOT facing a breezeblock wall - I think they call it a gardenview as it has a few plants in front of the wall that is about a metre from the window and on the otherside of the wall are cranes and building works. We were really disappointed as we had emailed ahead to request a view other than this as we are on our wedding/honeymoon trip and got exactly what we had asked not to have. The hotel could not accommodate a room change either.

Girlspytravel Aug 5th, 2006 07:14 PM

Nancy-I'm one of those who clearly does NOT think YCV is worth it-I was reading the reviews on tripadvisor.com-and I saw one review by someone from Anchorage-she perfectly encapsulated everything I did not like, (but couldn't quite articulate) about this place-the blah poorly done hotel rooms (that remind me of La Quinta here in the US-except La Quinta rooms are more finished than YCV) the fact that the breakfast is only okay, but everything is kept in the chafing dishes for so long that the food DOES get rubbery and tasteless, the underpowered a/c, the mosquitos in my room, the fact that the manager had to be consulted for EVERYTHING-if you have a problem or a question, she, the manager, has to be summoned to get an answer.

Other than the good location and the nice pool (which the next door Chiang Mai Plaza has, as well as a beautiful indoor spa, not to mention D2) I wouldn't rate YCV highly at all.

I got a rate of some 70US when I was there in January -I wouldn't pay a penny more for that room-if I were to pay more, I'd go to D2, as I like what I've read so far about this hotel, or I might go again to the far cheaper Chiang Mai Plaza next door to YCV(superior rooms available for 40-50US).

However, my first and only choice in Chiang Mai is Baan Orapin-now THAT is a true guesthouse-understated elegance-is how I describe the look of the new building rooms-the room had just the right sort of cozy ambience-the minute I was shown the room I thought it was perfect, which is not at all how I felt at the YCV-which I do liken more to a motel room than anything else.

With Baan Orapin, I KNEW right away that I could stay here for months-and I might just do that-at least a month- at some point in the future.

drtravels Aug 10th, 2006 01:50 AM

I am currently at the YCV and would highly recommend staying here. The property is fantastic and the staff very helpful. IMO there is NOTHING motel-like at this wonderful property that was described by a previous post. I've stayed in many very nice places around the world and would rate this in the top 5.

Kathie Aug 10th, 2006 06:38 AM

Thanks, Dr.T.

Wldman Aug 10th, 2006 08:18 AM

Thanx Dr. T,
I will be staying at YCV during Jan07 and feel great to have such a reaffirmation! Nothing against anyone who has expressed a negative opinion - everyone is entitled to feel the way they do.
Warm Regards

hawaiiantraveler Aug 10th, 2006 09:13 AM

it's all about who you can trust!

KimJapan Aug 10th, 2006 01:30 PM

Drtravels...enjoy your stay there. We certainly did. Try the pomelo salad they serve...it's very good.