Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Xmas 2005- Bangkok looks good..Shangri La or Marriott package? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/xmas-2005-bangkok-looks-good-shangri-la-or-marriott-package-467132/)

lcuy Aug 14th, 2004 11:40 PM

Xmas 2005- Bangkok looks good..Shangri La or Marriott package?

Was planning to go to the south pacific, but have been reading posts on Thailand and decided it may be better for our short trip.

We are looking at 6 days in Bangkok only... Husband, 2 almost adult daughters, and I. Can't stay any longer as one daughter is in college and wants to spend some of Christmas vacation at home.

I did backpacker's Bangkok 20 years ago, this trip we want to relax in style!

Here's my choice (at the moment :-) ) HNL to Bkk, airfare + 6 nights in two hotel rooms. Delta + Shangri La at $1500 per person total, or China Air + Marriott at $1290 pp. All Taxes & fees included.

Any thoughts?

lcuy Aug 14th, 2004 11:50 PM

Oops, I meant to say Bangkok Marriot resort and Spa, not the JW marriot.
Thanks!

Walter_Walltotti Aug 15th, 2004 01:13 AM

I personally think the Shangri La is the better bet. It is in a better location (right next to the metro line), has just had a massive refit, and is reckoned to be one of the world's best hotels. It is close to three other world class shotels (The Peninsula, The Oriental and Royal Orchid Sheraton - so upmarket (yet relatively well priced) dining options abound.

If you plump for the Shangri La. Go to the groups home page and enroll in their loyalty club (the golden circle) - it entitles you to free breakfasts at any of their hotels and free modest room upgrades.

rhkkmk Aug 15th, 2004 07:47 AM

i have stayed at both this year...the marriott is always our favorite...the sh-la is lovely too...

the marriott pool is the better area...the mall attached to the marriott might be more pleasing to the kids--not for shopping especially but for food and hanging out...
the locations are not that much different...the marriott is about 10 minutes down the river from the sh-la...marriott has a free boat to the sky train stop (next to the sh-la) every 15 minutes all day long...i do not see location as an issue here...

have you looked at eva air and its packages...??? our friend from honolulu often uses them to bkk...
also united??

i am not convinced that i would want to take china air anyplace....sorry...they are always cheaper.... the price difference is about right as sh-la is about $40-50 a day more expensive than the marriott...
they are really different kinds of hotels...by the way i never find huge tour groups at the marriott, but you do find them at sh-la....

walking out from the sh-la is better...there is nothing in the area of the marriott to walk out for...
there is a large mall (robinsons) just in front of the sh-la and the sky train stop is right next door to the hotel all of which is convenient...

you would not be unhappy with either hotel...i think the sh-la is a notch above the marriott in ratings but i do not find service better....i do think the breakfast is much better at the sh-la (fantastic really), but the marriott breakfast is very good and adequate as well...
the pool bar/restaurant at the marriott is convenient and very delicious...

the marriott pool is simply the best pool area in bangkok!!!!! while you are not there on a pool holiday, you will use the pool at least once every day and that makes a difference...
the new manager at the marriott is young and doing great things there...

lcuy Aug 15th, 2004 11:05 PM

I tried Eva Air and they don't seem to fly through Honolulu anymore. Too bad, cause they had some interesting packages, but only from the mainland.

I'm going to call a local Asia TA tomorrow (monday) to see if they have any other good air/hotel deals. Seems to be significantly cheaper than buying separately.

At least the family is all agreed on Bangkok and the dates, so I can whip out the charge card without having to consult with them. It was so much easier when the girls were young and I made the plans and told them when to be packed! Now they've got jobs, school, and boyfriends and I have to work around those.

lcuy Aug 19th, 2004 02:37 AM

Well, I feel lucky. I got Japan Air tickets Honolulu to Bangkok for a week over Christmas, then a 4 day stop in Tokyo for $936 each. On Japan Airline, which I like!

Still debating on the hotels..Marriott with it's nice grounds, but commute to the skytrain & malls, Royal Orchid or Shangri-la for the locations & service, or now I heard of a place called Centre Pointe that is next to the Shangri-la with 2 bedroom serviced apartments for only $180 US per night. Can I go wrong with any of these??

glorialf Aug 19th, 2004 05:22 AM

You certainly won't go wrong with the Shangrila or Royal Orchid. Basically you should decide what your priorities are since all the hotels are excellent. If you plan on spending a lot of time at a pool and at your hotel you may want the marriott since I gather (I've never stayed there) it has a fabulous pool and grounds. If you plan on spending most of your time in the heart of the city sightseeing and shopping and location is key go for the Shangrila or Royal Orchid. I don't know anything about the self-serviced apartments.h

rhkkmk Aug 19th, 2004 05:41 AM

i still vote for the marriott...i had a bad experience at the sheraton and prefer to go elsewhere...

i did visit that centre point, silom and another one by the american embassy...there are 4 or 5 of them in bkk...they are very nice....i will say that the silom one is the least nice, but that does not mean not nice....it is one of the oldest and they have improved each one as they build new ones....
the living space is huge and it is like having a large city apartment anyplace...they are well equipted and have nice furniture, etc....there is a restaurant....it is attached to the mall complex at robinson's dept. store so anything you want is right there...the skytrain in next door...you get breakfast with your apartment in the restaurant on site....it is just in town of the shangri-la hotel....it bills itself as being on the river but it is not really...it has river views from some rooms...i suspect that unless you pay extra you do not get a river view for short stays...

don't get me wrong it is very nice...the pool at the silom rd one is ok but not fabulous...

you might look at the marriott mayfair serviced apartments...they are really very nice and the pool is fabulous on top of the building looking out all over bangkok...we decided that we would stay there if we ever needed that type of accomodation...the centre point is right across the street from the marriott---next to the american embassy really...near to sukhumvit rd/pleonchit rds....excellent locations

for the money serviced apartments are excellent...

i will repeat again that for a family with kids i still prefer the marriott resort and spa...for less money i prefer a serviced apartment...

Kathie Aug 19th, 2004 06:06 AM

Since your "kids" are adults, I'd recommend staying at either the Royal Orchid Sheraton or the Shangri La. This will place you closer to everything. The Royal Orchid Sheraton is where I've stayed for all of my Bangkok trips for 20+ years. The rooms have just been renovated. I always stay in the Towers, where breakfast, evening drinks and canapes and 6 pieces of free laundry per person per day are included in your room price. I like being right next door to River City, and there are a number or good restaurants in the hotel or within walking distance.

I also think you can't go wrong with the Shangra-La. The Marriott Resort and Spa is more out of the way. Some people consider that an advantage. I know it's Bob's fave, and he always recommends it for families. You circumstances are a bit different. By the way, the Royal Orchid has two pools, one in a charming sunken garden on the grounds of the Portuguese Embassy.