My husband & I will be arriving in Myanmar end of March aboard a cruise ship and we just have been notified that we'll be arriving at 5:30a instead of noon on a Saturday and we depart at 4p on Monday….so now I have more time ashore and am rethinking our plans.
My first thought was perhaps we could get a flight to Bagan that day and return late on Sunday, but i was told by a local tour operator that isn't possible…that we'd have to return Monday morning. While I would love having two nights there, I'm extremely leery about trusting domestic flights to reliably get us back Monday am when our ship departs that afternoon.
The cruise line does offer a shore excursion of an overnight to Bagan on Sunday, also returning the next morning (Monday), which is prohibitively expensive. They are trusting the airline (Asian Wings, they're using) to get the group back in time, but I don't think I can risk this on my own. Yet, I know Bagan is the highlight of Myanmar and I would really love to see it.
My alternative plan is to spend Saturday in Yangon on a private tour with a local operator, and spend the night at a hotel in Yangon (the Savoy?), and then also tour the city the next day. This way we can absorb more of Yangon at a leisurely pace, and escape to the hotel pool in the heat of the day. On Monday, I was just going to take the ships excursion to Thilawa (Syriam) to see some villages.
So, should we go for it and see Bagan….or just concentrate on Yangon? Would love to hear what you would do.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 AOL EMAIL Password Reset ☎ 1~844~853:3131 Contact Now ☎ AOL Tec*h CALL.☎M3*
- 2 two health related questions
- 3 Please Help First-Timers to India!
- 4 Japan escorted
- 5 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 6 Food for thought- Restaurant suggestions for India Feb 1-18
- 7 Restaurants in Bangkok
- 8 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 9 Princess Cruise
- 10 Looking for advice on first-time Hong Kong trip
- 11 Junk boat cruise-halong Bay,VNam
- 12 Mongolia - Blue Silk Travel
- 13 Nha Trang,Vn taxi
- 14 4 nights in Himalayas - Bhutan,Nepal, India?
- 15 Bago or Golden rock
- 16 Bangkok
- 17 Sri Lanka compared to southern India, which do you prefer?
- 18 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 19 Please help! Planning honeymoon in Malaysia!
- 20 HELP WITH JAPAN ITINERARY FOR MARCH
- 21 altenratives to Chiang Mai for "northen Thailand experience"
- 22 Need some info on travelling to Malaysia?
- 23 Unique Map & Guide to Tokyo
- 24 Sulawesi
- 25 Racism danger in Cambodia?
Would you risk flying Bagan/Yangon same day cruise departs?