Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Worth breaking trip up between Osaka/Kyoto

Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Still planning my trip... Arrive Kix/Osaka on the 26 and leave on the evening of 31st of March.

Booked Hilton Osaka for the entire trip. KimJapan - I called Hilton and they are cool with the HH/spousestaysfree for a friend with the two people I spoke with. So we are going with the Executive room.

I originally looked into Kyoto and staying there but prices were even higher there so we thought we would home base in Osaka. I think there is sumo wrestling going on in Kyoto which may have been why the hotels were high there. My friend did find the Holiday Inn for about $80 (US) for the room. It looks like it is in a residential type area and the reviews have been ok on this.

Now, my question - should be just home base in Osaka and do all of our day trips from there and not worry about switching hotels?

Or, is it in our best interest to stay 3 nights in Osaka (HIlton), 2 nights in Kyoto (Holiday Inn)?

I am wondering if we will waste a lot of time switching hotels or if it will be easy. I am also wondering about transportation within Kyoto. Is it going to be more time beneficial to just take the train to Kyoto from Osaka and go from there or will we save significant time by staying in a residential area of Kyoto (verses the main tourist area) or is it going to be a draw either way.

If there is anything important I am missing here - please fill me in. We will be passing on the sumo wrestling in Kyoto. We do plan on side trips to Nara and Kobe

Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:16 AM

If you are going to stay at Osaka and travel by Shinkansen trains , I think you should consider about the ticket prices which are very expensive.

Happy travels
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Can you give me a ballpark price?
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM

I would absolutely break up the trip. One of the joys of Kyoto is wandering around the streets, especially around Gion or Pontocho. This can be amazing in the early evening when the Geisha may be clogging off to their appointments. Day-commuting to Kyoto from Osaka would not be my cup of tea, at all.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Theresa...good to know about the spouse stays free policy being fine for anyone. I was hoping that would be their position.

I'm not sure what your travel style is...there are literally hundreds of trains a day that go to Kyoto, and you probably wouldn't use shinkansen as that involves changing trains in Shin Osaka. The fare from Osaka to Kyoto varies from around 500 yen one way to 3000 yen one way, and takes from 27 minutes to over an hour. Depends on the train/s you take. grace.hyperdia.com can help you sort out the available options. There are also buses...but train is easier. We didn't find it crowded, and took the local trains.

About seeng Kyoto from an Osaka base. We did exactly this when my parents visited us...stayed at the Osaka Hilton and used the train. At the time they visited, there were not any comparable in quality hotels for a similar price in Kyoto, and we wanted the Hilton points anyway. Funny, they were in Japan in late March/early April too.

What they said about the Kyoto commute was that they enjoyed the train ride to and from, and they were quite happy to get back to the Hilton, where they were settled in a bit, knew the staff, and were comfortable. It was their first trip outside of the US, and they were a bit shell shocked.

So, I think in the end it might come down to your priorities. Do you like to be settled into a place as a base, or do you prefer to move around? Timewise, it might be the same. Kyoto is huge. The Hilton will certainly be nicer than a Holiday Inn...but the Holiday Inn should also be fine. Their website says it's 20 minutes by bus to the station...how often those buses run, though...typcially not more than 2-3 an hour.

The area around the Hilton and station in Osaka is a sight I think...There is this enormous electronics shop behind the station to the right side (if you face the station from the Hilton)..forget the name, but you can't miss it. Go in there...it will be a huge dose of modern culture. On the bridge that crosses the big road (go right out of the Hilton as you face the station and you'll see stairs to go up to the pedestrian bridge) there are usually street performers and vendors set up at night.

The executive lounge staff will also be able to help you plan your days, and will be able to recommend some things in Osaka to see. I really love Osaka for some reason.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM

Seems to me that you are asking that if you are going to sightsee in Kyoto is it better to stay in Kyoto or in a city that is a half hour away. Is the Holiday Inn the only available hotel in Kyoto or are you only looking at American chain hotels? You are asking for input to help decide between a couple of specific options. My input is to suggest that you find more options in Kyoto. You wouldn't be able to see the sumo tournament anyway because it ends on the 26th. The tournament isn't big enough of a thing to affect the availability of lodging in a city the size of Osaka.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

When looking - the vast majority of the hotels I am looking at in Kyoto are showing "no availability" for the dates we are there. The ones that are available are over $300 night (more then our budget). I am not sure what is going on in Kyoto but hotels are very pricey here and very booked.

We met with a friend from Osaka last night for dinner and she suggested we stay put at the Hilton (she commended us for our choice) in Osaka and just home base there for the entire trip. We will have something familiar to come back to. I haven't spoken with my friend since dinner but I think we will end up doing just that.

Kim - thanks for your comments and your links!

Theresa