working in/around calcutta

Dec 31st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

working in/around calcutta

hi, first time poster. looks very possible i could be working in & around calcutta for 6-12 months +. been doing lotsa reading in general on india & i am very psyched about the opportuinty.

lots i have read on calcutta is be prepared to be shocked! i am expecting to be shocked (pleasantly?) just going to india but what makes calcutta even more shocking than the rest of india?

should i be worried at all, never having been to any countries like india (usa, canada & the uk is all i have been exposed to)?

well i have a million questions but will save them for future posts so as not to ramble on here.
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Hi Keith69
I am from Calcutta but settled in US now.You will be shocked because it is very different from US,UK and Canada.
Once you land in India you'll see millions and millions of people everywhere and poverty.It may be disturbing to you.
Calcutta is going to be hot so be prepared.
But just consider it to be an experience and go with the flow.It's not all that bad because EVERYTHING is available in India now...you will be amazed.Not being biased but i think the hospitality everywhere in India is wonderful.There is a lot of warmth in people and you being a foreigner in that country,people will go out of their way to help you out.Hope you have a wonderful time.
Where are you staying in Calcutta?

Search this Thread