Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Will we like Phuket? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/will-we-like-phuket-425391/)

sberk Apr 23rd, 2004 07:40 PM

Will we like Phuket?

While I normally try to seek out something a little more off the beaten track, I have booked a room in Phuket for about 4-5 days this coming Dec/Jan. Because our trip to the region is short (2.5 weeks) I didn't want to spend half my time getting to a more remote island/beach. We really hate a rowdy beach scene, and are hoping for a relatively low key experience. We won't go to Patong at all. We have a room booked in Kamala, and plan to spend our time there or further north around Hat Nai Thon and Hat Mai Khao. Will we be happy on Phuket, or do we need to bite the bullet and travel a little farther (perhaps Ko Lanta)?

JamesA Apr 23rd, 2004 08:18 PM

Kamala is a good choice. Where are you booked? Kamala area is also the location of Phuket Fantasea ( US$45 for a buffet and show!!) but if you are around say Kamala Bay terrance you won't know Fantasea is there.

I think whether people like Phuket, or anywhere else for that matter is down to one thing, and that is 'Pre conceived expectations'.

If you see the travel agency brochures of swaying pakm trees and deserted beaches and are promised a haven of tranquility you will be bought down to eath sharply as you see the huge billboards on leaving the airport and pass 7-11's, get stuck in traffic etc.

However, if you have managed to discover that it is a highly developed tourist orinetated island then you won't be dissapointed. It is down really to what you expect. IF you have chosen one of the quieter resorts in Kamala then fine but note some of them are 'over a headland' and actually the beach isn't much good. Depends where you are booked. I still always suggest Kata beach mainly because the few places there are particularly nice.

At least in Phuket you have a huge range of restaurants etc and should you wish to go on any activity be it adventure or visit the Gibbon Sanctuary at least you know it is all organised. There is actually a lot to be said for places that actually are in the 'business of catering to tourists' as opposed to some remote places where apart from a swim in the pool and a stroll there is nothing to do.

It comes down to what you are after and what your pre conceived expectations are.

JamesA Apr 23rd, 2004 08:24 PM

For Phuket I take a look at the Chedi, and also the Boathouse at Kata beach and the Kata Thani resort at Kata, these are all what I would call 'safe bets', you really can't go wrong. The only downside on the Boathouse (if you can call it a downside) is don't go for the cheapest rooms ( as someone posted a while back). Go for the decent rooms and you will surely love the place, especially if you also enjoy great food and excellent wine.
Anyway take a good browse of those places,

Chedi
Mon tri's Boathouse
Kata Thani resort

http://www.phuket.travelreporter.com

JamesA Apr 23rd, 2004 08:26 PM

Have copied this here for you a reply I just did for someone else asking about Phuket as it may be of help to you too, and you can also check out photos and stuff for wherever you have booked at kamala.

sberk Apr 24th, 2004 09:10 AM

JamesA - thanks for your responses. I had checked out both Moms and Chedi and while lovely, they are both out of our price range - plus Mom's (which I considered spluring on) was already fully booked since we are looking to go over the new year.

We are booked in a one bedroom garden view apartment at Kamala Beach Estate which appears to be right on the headland, next to Kamala Bay Terrace. Its not right on the beach, but appears to have nice facilities and certainly is close to the beach.

While I am going fully informed about what Phuket is like, I am considering it a bit of a trade-off -I'd like something more low-key but don't want the travel time (Ko Lanta appears to be another 4 hours or so after you get off the plane until you are at your resort - is that right?)

We tend to like to check out different beaches, so I figured we'd just keep North of Patong. I've realized in my years of travel that there are always tradeoffs - but I've heard and read very different things about Phuket - some say its overdeveloped and not worth the trip, others say while parts are like that, you can still find spots off the beaten path. I'm hoping we'll find the latter.

Thanks again for your feedback!

simpsonc510 Apr 24th, 2004 05:08 PM

Did you consider Koh Samui? It takes about the same amount of time to get to (from BKK) as Phuket. Samui is more laid back.

sberk Apr 24th, 2004 06:10 PM

We did check out Samui, but were considered that the weather was a little less reliable that time of year.