Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Wildlife viewing in Kaziranga Park, Assam

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been here. I am considering a trip to Assam and would like to make this park part of it.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm topping this in the hope that vp singh or another knowledgeable person will respond.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Palin book/web site I recommended on your other thread includes a piece on the park.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM

This Kaz-fest isn't going very well, is it Kathie? lol.

Which might speak volumes for the wonders of Kaziranga.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Thursdays, I don't have the book yet. It's not available directly from Amazon, so I was going to check a local bookstore before ordering it through Amazon's marketplace. I'm glad to know that it will give me some info.

dogster, I know your opinion (and I appreciate it), but no responses IMO does not mean it's terrible, just off the usual tourist track (which I like). I did read some accounts on Thorntree that sounded fine (no tigers, but encounters with rhinos).
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kathie - you can read the whole book (with pix) online - start here for the park: http://palinstravels.co.uk/book-3895 (I borrowed it from the library)
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM

I think your heart is telling you to go to Kaz - so you should go.

With a good heart, it'll be great. Three days will give you lots of time for adventures and bonding with the staff. I'll bet there are things there that nobody knows about - and probably more chance of getting off to visit local villages and the like, via your newest good pals, the staff.

And keep a weather eye out for hand-woven Bihu dresses in villages [which are just a length of material] Stunning. Just look for the looms, go in and ask. Buy from source - always the most satisfying. Go bond with the ladies, drink tea and gently bargain. I have one hanging on my wall at home.

Prize, prize possession.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Do a search on "Kaziranga" there is a good trip report from 2007.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Kathie,

Kaziranga is an exceptional park - and I like it a lot..for its immensly diverse flaora and fauna...in the backdrop of the huge Brahmaputra river and cute little tribal settelements + Tea states dotting the area...
You must go there...
Till now the issue about visiting Kaziranga was that there was no decemt accommodation besides Wild Graass but now there is a very ncie resort called Diphlu River Lodge which has come up - and one should stay there only - http://www.assambengalnavigation.com/photo_diphlu.htm

I would suggest that besides Kaziranga you also see some other areas of Assam - start with Kolkata and than fly to Guwahati and see the silk weaving island Sualkuchi and Mosque and superb temple at hajo . You ust also try to include Jorhat area with visit to worlds biggest inland river island - Majauli and some Tea estates (stay at Chang Bungalows) and later visit Kaziranga....

You can even do all this on a cruise on Brahmaputra river ()with Assambengal navigation company) - and end the cruise with a visit to Kaziranga...

Shall be gald to help in case you need more help..

Cheers and all the best...
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

garybear, thank you for pointing out that report. I had previously done a search and it did not come up - a glitch with the search function or a glitch with my typing?

holikurry, thanks for your comments. My tentative plan is for a trip to Assam, a few days of which would be at the Diphlu. see my previous post:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...g-or-assam.cfm

The current wish-list is for a few days in Kolkata, then up to Assam and some time at Thengal Manor in Jorhat, a stay at a tea estate, perhaps 4 days on a cruise with Assam Bengal (which would allow me to see Majauli) and three nights at Diphlu. As I'm very interested in textiles, I do want to visit the silk weaving village near Guwahati. I do know that I will have to edit my plans, as I want to fit too much into too little time.

I am still in the process of arranging our transpacific tickets, so I don't yet have exact dates and therefore the exact number of days in India, but likely will have 2 weeks on the ground in India or perhaps a couple days less.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Kathie--I've found that the best way to search fodors is using google since then you don't have to limit your search to 3 year intervals, certain forums and so on. Just type the search term into the google box and then type site:fodors.com.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Marija, nice tip!