Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Why so little American interest in The Maldives

Why so little American interest in The Maldives

Dec 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Why so little American interest in The Maldives

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to The Maldives----WOW!! For some time I looked on this site for tips and advice and was surprised to find allmost nothing. I will be posting a report in the next few days. As ever I was asking questions all the time and found that they seem to get very few American visitors. Why? This is a wonderful holiday destination and it seems to me that you guys are really missing out on something quite special.
Dec 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM

It's a very LONG flight for people from the US. There is no non-stop flights to get there, and most flights from the US require at least 2 changes with long-haul flights both times, making it unattractive unless you are already in Asia. It's also easier if you are coming from Europe. I have only gone because I lived in Singapore and currently live in Hong Kong. Yes it is very beatiful. Now that what's his name went there on his honeymoon there may be more American's going.
Dec 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
mjs

It is also seems to be quite expensive so when you add up all the costs and time to get there for an island vacation you might find yourself asking why when there are so many island vacations cheaper and closer to the USA. One of the budget airlines from Thailand will begin flights to the Maldives soon so perhaps one may see an uptick in tourists to the Maldives.
Dec 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM

If I lived next door to the Caribbean I guess I'd go there instead of taking 2 days to reach the Maldives....
Dec 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM

We've done both Caribbean and the Maldives. In terms of quality of marine life/beaches, we prefer the Maldives. To be totally selfish, I'd rather keep low on American tourists' (especially cruises) radar screen...
Dec 5th, 2006, 04:55 AM

For us it boils down to:
1) Way too expensive for a beach resort- there are better, less expensive places to go.

2) Too long a flight to get to a beach resort
3) Not much to do there but beach out.

4) We are not beach people.
Dec 5th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Hi

I think it is also because of the distance. I guess many figure why go to the Maldives when it is so much easier to get to Mexico, Hawaii etc. But I have to say that the Maldives is the most beautiful beach destination that I have ever been to. Some of the pics that I have taken (see trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/sun_island_index.htm ) almost looks unreal

Regards
Gard
Dec 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM

I'm from Canada and been to the Caribbean several times and the Maldives last year...Although i loved the Caribbean, the Maldives was fantastic..Yes it is far away...but to me well worth it..especially if u are passing through Dubai or on the way to India, it is a great layover.

We are definately going to return one day soon!!
Dec 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Outrageous prices. Happy Travels!
Dec 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM

I get interested in the Maldives every time I see pictures but it really is so far away for someone living in the U.S. that's it's hard for me to justify such a stressful flight too and from just for a sun and sand vacation.
Dec 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Unless you're on honeymoon, most people would get bored stiff after a few days. Great add-on after touring Sri Lanka, though.
Dec 5th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I was under the impression that all of the hotels there are super luxury, as in $500 USD and up per night. Are there reasonable options on the beach? Thanks.
Dec 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy. There are many reasonable options for The Maldives.In the next few days I will post a full report on our trip.Including what we paid and what we got. I would say that our resort was luxury and not super luxury prices. Certainly nothing like the $500 per night that you mention. And The Maldives is not just a beach holiday. It is a unique experience.
Dec 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I have to admit that I have had no interest at all in the Maldives. I really travel much more for the cultural experiences. While I may spend time at a beach or a resort as part of a longer trip, I wouldn't go somewhere just for the beach.
Dec 5th, 2006, 07:27 PM

I too travel mainly for the cultural experiences, but love to veg out for a few days after a hectic Asian experience and think that the Maldives is a perfect spot for that...However 3 or 4 days is plenty for me...

But check out Veligandu Island Resort...I think we paid about $250.00 U.S. per night, 3 meals per day, and had a beach front cabana...It was gorgeous..Not fancy one bit but very very nice, relaxing and beautiful.

http://www.veliganduisland.com/

My pics

http://travel.webshots.com/album/510872949qDQXtD

Dec 6th, 2006, 06:03 AM

As for affordable hotels, you might want to check travel agents/brochures for UK/German/Italian/Japanese customers, as Maldives are popular destination for them. As for costs, it is not too terribly bad as rates at many places are either semi-board or full-board. (You won't have much choice to dine outside of the hotel on remote islands). On top of that, you won't spend a fortune doing shoppings or going to shows!
Dec 8th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

For eight nights all inclusive at lily beach resort we paid £2100.00. Flights from London, Seaplane tranfers, Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Tea,Dinner and ALL drinks. Snorkelling probably better than anything I've seen anywhere in the world and a real shoulders down relaxing break. I dont see how anyone could get bored here. We saw shark,sting-ray,giant manta ray,moray eels,dolphins,turtles(old,young and babies), nearly every day. Didn't wear any footwear throughout the stay.
I certainly re-charged my batteries. And at check out time my bill was zero!! So no I can't see the general opinion that it is expensive.
But my favourite destination is still clearly PHI PHI
Dec 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM

That's almost $5000.00 US dollars. About what we spent for 2 weeks in Japan for 3 people. Airfare was only for 2, but accomodations, sighseeing, train fare, and food was for three people.

I understand it's probably one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I'd never pay that much for a beach vacation. There are too many beautiful beaches within 4 a four hour flight.

I can see coming from the UK, but the US? Only if I were already in Asia, having already endured the 16 hour flight to Japan.
Dec 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
mjs

I have had an interest in the Maldives as I am into diving but unless it is part of a longer SE Asia trip, the Maldives do not make much sense as a beach vacation from the US. Consider a quick check on airfares from the west coast and it is $1800 and 30 hours. A cheaper airfare at $1300 requires 60 hours to get there. A check from JFK shows a better situation with a airfare of $1500 and 22 hours. Or you can go to the Bahamas from JFK for $500 and 5 hours. Cost of airfare and the need of a grueling trip to/from the Maldives seems like a pretty good reason for little interest in this beach destination for those of us from North America.
Might be a nice short beach vacation when we are in Bangkok but than you have Phi Phi, Phuket, Ko Samui. Langkawi etc as options.
Dec 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Maldives is on my wish list. Even though we live on the West Coast the pictures make me drool. I was thinking a trip to Africa and the Maldives would be good. I also thought the hotels were about $600. per night. Until I get a huge inheritance or win the lottery that is way too high. I will look into packages at a later date. This year we went to Paris-Cyprus and Turkey-Next year its Bali and Thailand-there's always another year-AHHHHH

Search this Thread