Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Why do people say to stay only a few days in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Diane

Will be going to Thailand for the first time. Am planning on six nights in Bangkok (which leaves only four full days and evenings due to flight arrivals/departures) and five nights in Chiang Mai. There's so much to see/do in Bangkok: Grand Palace, temples, Jim Thompson's house, massages, shopping, rice barge cruise, etc, and day trips to the floating market and Ayutthaya. How can one do all this in just a few days and really enjoy it? I also like to take time and walk through a park in every new city or just people-watch somewhere. Are these things unreasonable in Bangkok? How much time should I really allow for the city? Planning on staying at a hotel on the river.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:04 AM
x

I was there about 2 nights leaving about 2 1/2 days of sight seeing and found it was not enough time. The city size and traffic means you need a little more time. A am sure you will enjoy your time and not run out of things to do.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Craig

We spent three full days in Bangkok and felt that we could have stayed four or five. On the other hand, Thailand is a big country with lots to see in Chiang Mai, southern islands and the hill-tribe areas of the far-north. <BR><BR>Bangkok is plagued with traffic congestion and polution. The heat and humidity can be oppressive. Because of this and itineraries that take them elsewhere in Thailand, many tourists limit their time in Bangkok.<BR><BR>There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Bangkok as you describe but walking around is not always the most pleasant way to get from place to place. If you are staying on the river, be sure to take the river taxis when traveling to the Grand Palace and temples in that area. If you go to Ayutthaya, do one of the tours that also takes you to the summer palace nearby. Go out by bus and return by boat. The Oriental Hotel and others offer this tour. This tour uses up a full day but it is well worth it.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:44 AM
scigirl

Diane,<BR><BR>I think 6 days in Bangkok is good. I spent 7 days there and had plenty to do. I also like to walk around in the cities I visit. I walked extensively in Bangkok - but the smog got the better of me eventually. Some areas of the city are worse for smog than others - Chinatown was one of the smoggier areas, for instance. I'd suggest making sure you have a small hankie or scarf with you that you can use to cover your mouth if you get overwhelmed by the smog. You'll see that many Thais wear face masks (like surgical masks) if they are out on the street. The skytrain and taxis are both inexpensive, easy to use, and quick. I sometimes walked for 6 or 7 hours site seeing and strolling, then would hop and taxi to woosh me back to the hotel.<BR><BR>The massages at Wat Po are great. Ignore the taxi drivers who will try to tell you that the temple is closed for a holiday. There is good people watching to be had along Silom road and at the Chatujak market (weekends).<BR>Enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>Anneke

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:35 AM
lisa

I spent 6 nights (5 full days) in Bangkok and thought that was perfect. I wouldn't have wanted any less time than that. There is definitely a lot to do. Yes, it is very hot, and the pollution is bad, but I loved it anyway.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Diane

Thanks to all for reconfirming my thoughts. I can't wait!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Bill A

Four full days is not an excessive amount of time for Bangkok, although five nights in Chiang Mai may be. I stayed five nights in CM also, but I went in November during the Loy Krathang festival, so there was more going on during the evening. Otherwise, five nights would have been too long. Don't worry though, you can take many day trips from CM, if you get bored.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Kathie

I agrre, there is much to do in Bangkok. I spent 8 days in bangkok my first visit (went up to Ayutthaya on one day). Now when I stop in Bangkok, I usually stay 3 or 4 days, sample some things I haven't done before, re-visit some favorites, and SHOP.