Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Why all the interest in Thailand, vs Malaysia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Fran

I read so many posts about Thailand but very few about Malaysia, why they are so close. Is Malaysia boring, uninteresting, tacky? What is so good about thailand

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Kathie

I expect the reason you don't see more posts on Malaysia right now (and there are quite a few on this board) is that some people are nervous about it being a predominantly Muslim country. I've traveled a fair amount in both Malaysia and Thailand. They have very different cultures, but both are interesting and lovely countires to visit.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Jen

Thailand has been pushing their tourism industry for a number of years now. Malaysia is just getting into it, and have a problem focusing on what they want to promote. I did some writing for a travel trade mag from Singapore and went to a lot of press conferences with the Malaysian tourism board, and this seems to be the general consensus. Malaysia's big tourism motto is "Malaysia, Truly Asia" as if to say you can get a taste of numerous Asian cultures here, which is so true. But tourists want focus. They go to Singapore to shop. They go to Thailand to party. They go to Bali for the beaches, etc, etc. Malaysia is greedy and wants a hand in all of this... and yes, they do have good shopping, beaches, snorkelling (partying - not so much, depending on where you go), ecotourism, etc, but no focus confuses tourists. <BR> <BR>Also the big hotel and resort chains are still relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world, so smaller travel and tour companies are constantly going under. They just can't compete - which is a big problem, if you ask me, because Malaysia needs to develop their niche markets if they really want to succeed in bringing in more tourists. <BR> <BR>It also depends on where you are from. The Malaysian tourist promotion board is still concentrating their efforts on bringing in European visitors, and has done little to promote the country in North America. <BR> <BR>I don't think the lack of talk about Malaysia has much to do with what's going on in the world right now. It has always been this way, with Thailand getting all the attention. It's just that now people who may have had the interest in Malaysia are getting scared off, without real reason, if you ask me. I live in Malaysia, and it's a great place to be.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:01 AM
Sarah Rey

Hi Jen, great concise answer ! I have visited KL, Penang & Langkawi many times but have to say I can't wait to get back to Thailand. I think Langkawi is a prime example of no 'focus'. At the hotel desk the rates quoted in Langkawi were very very high indeed, I instead took a taxi to Kondo Istana where I'd had a Rm 118 rate before and was lucky to get it again, lovely 3 bedroomed apartment. Trying to get a taxi was terrible, eventually got one and ventured to Sheraton to meet some clients. Hassle getting back. Then stayed at Langkawi Village resort and again real stress getting a taxi, in the end the Receptionist going off-duty gave me a lift to the Pelangi Resort ( next day I hired a car! ). It is a truly beautiful island but just beaches and a few very minor attractions are not going to bring in the tourists. Not many people laugh or smile, no nite-life of any description whatsoever. Must say I was desperate to get the flight back to Phuket. I think that too many countries treat tourism with not enough 'respect' as an industry. It needs to be run and organised by real professionals with as little government intervention as possible ( except for necessary enviromental and social rules ). Tourism should be viewed as an industry that brings-in vast amounts of money and much of this manages to filter though to the smallest businesses, street vendors, shops, cafes, a single boat owner, someone who grows flowers etc etc. The more people who travel the better understanding we all have of eachother.

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Jen

Jerry... ok, we were just speaking of Thailand vs. Malaysia, but I would venture to say that the same things hold true for many of the more affordable countries in SEA Asia.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 10:32 PM
wayne

I am Malaysian but I prefer Thailand. Why? It is more exotic, the nightlife much livelier, the food better, the service nicer and the massages much,much cheaper.It's more interesting in a haphazard way.<BR><BR>Malaysia should promote its rainforests, hills and dive islands which are unique rather than compete with Thailand and Bali on their beaches and cities. How can any M'sian city beat Bangkok in anything? People dont come to a ctry just to see the tallest bldgs.I hope the M'sian tourist board is reading this.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 01:41 AM
carrie

I agree with all the posts above, it is the marketing. The prime example is Singapore, a country which has not a lot to offer in terms of beaches, natural beauty or diversity in culture, and yet the tourists are piling in. This is because the Singapore Tourist Board has done a great job in promoting the country. In Europe people tend to associate Malaysia with 'muslim country with a whacky prime minister'. It is a shame. Malaysia is just as interesting as Thailand but in a very different sort of way. I love both Thailand and Malaysia.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Sarah Rey

I agree with Wayne and others. It is the marketing that is so vital and I am certain that 'no' tourist board officials from any country ever bother to read message boards, if they did, they would learn a great deal!<BR>