Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Who has suggestions of good things to see in Chiang Mai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:40 AM
Mark

We are going to Thailand early next year. We have been to Bangkok three times and this will be our second visit to Cha Am (a fantastic place!)but this will be our first time to Chiang Mai. Please let me have any suggestions of what to visit (with two kids of 11 &amp; 12).<BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:23 PM
pjr

Try one of the elephant camps. We went to one north of Chaing Mai where you watched the show, rode the elephants, then took a bamboo raft down the river to the waiting ox carts.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Phil Pearce

I envy you, Thailand is a superb destination. And the Chiang Mai area is outstanding. We took a bus north from Chinag Mai to Chiang Rai, (road was under construction, this was maybe 4-5 years ago), then had arranged for a van to pick us up at the bus station in Chiang Rai. It took us to the Le Meridien Baan Boran, a 4-5 Star resort overlooking the Mekong at the convergence of Myanmar, Thailand, and Laos. One of the best resorts we've ever stayed at.<BR>If you go there, highly recommend a trip down the Mekong on a longboat, it continues to be one of our Top Ten Travel Memories. (Number One for me: staying in Soglio, in Switzerland).<BR>Have fun, Sanuk Sanuk!!<BR>Phil Pearce

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:01 PM
pjr

I have to agree with you Phil on the Baan Boran (now owned by Marriott), it was my favorite place in Thailand. We were there in October and hired a driver to take us from Chaing Mai to the Baan Boran, and the road is complete, but there are a lot of pot holes.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:27 PM
surfergirl

Check out Doi Suthep! A mountain just outside Chiang Mai - at the top is a Wat that shouldn't be missed. The views of the city below are spectacular! take songthaew from Chang Puak (northern) Gate it'll get you right there. further along the same road is Phu Ping Palace which has a stunning garden.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:30 PM
surfergirl

Check out Doi Suthep! A mountain just outside Chiang Mai - at the top is a Wat that shouldn't be missed. The views of the city below are spectacular! take songthaew from Chang Puak (northern) Gate it'll get you right there. further along the same road is Phu Ping Palace which has a stunning garden. there's also a zoo on the road to Doi Suthep - it was Ok, the conditions the animals live in are not ideal, but not brutal. and its a good opportunity to learn about local fauna! the bird sanctuary was lovely.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Mich

Can't remember the name of the temple but there is a famous temple in Chiang Mai, with several hundred steps which you have to climb to get to the top. That's a good place to visit as well. <BR>

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 09:49 AM
surfergirl

That's it, Mich - you have to climb 300 or so steps to get to the temple at Doi Suthep - a double recommendation! The kids'll love it - counting those steps on the way up!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Tangata

These days you can use a cable car to get up to the temple. If you really want to count steps you can always walk down.<BR><BR>Don’t overlook Wat Phrae Sing in the old city. Although not as spectacular as Wat Doi Suthep it is much older.<BR><BR>A trip to the various factory outlets along the Sankampaeng Road is worth a morning and there is a new restaurant in the area, Le Grand Lanna that is well worth a visit.<BR>