Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   white sand beaches in thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/white-sand-beaches-in-thailand-978437/)

JackGlasser May 19th, 2013 04:52 PM

white sand beaches in thailand

thinking possibly going to Thailand to see Bangkok in December possibly. If adult daughters come; they want an 'upscale' beach-white sands, calm water, option for restaurant options or if want quietness-that also possible. Seems possibly ko samui, ko tao and nang yuan may be possibilities-the later two islands quite an endeavor if leaving from the East Coast of USA. It is difficult for me to get a good picture in regards to what is not too difficult to get to, the offers some options. Is there a comparable area in Phuket?

Hanuman May 19th, 2013 05:04 PM

For December, IMO, your allotted budget should be a consideration as well. The best at that time of the year is definitely the areas around Phuket (inc. Khao Lak, Krabi, Phi Phi etc). Hotels can go as high as over $1,000 a night on the best semi private beaches like the Amanpuri etc but overall the area will be full tourist especially at the lower price hotels.

Phuket is also the most convenient to get to as well with several flights, both domestic and international per day.

Simond01 May 19th, 2013 09:18 PM

Phuket has the better choice for beaches and some real nice island destinations. Phi Phi islands have great accommodation and beautiful beaches. Phuket itself also has many beach resorts. Bang Tao/Laguna is probably the best, and Surin Beach, Surin is generally very busy though.

JackGlasser May 20th, 2013 02:43 AM

could you give specific suggestions regarding beaches in Phuin with white sands that are both in the mist of things as well as some options for solitude, not on a hill, on the beach. What are the down side to resorts in Samui/Chaweng.

crellston May 20th, 2013 03:53 AM

The downside to Chaweng, is that it is very busy. Think banana boats, beach vendors etc.. Admittedly it is 10 years since I was last there but I doubt it has got quieter over the years. I am sure there are quiet spots on Samui but they may be difficult to find these days.

Can't help with Phuket, apart from Hanuman's suggestion of the Amanpuri which will provide what you are seeking but at a significant cost! Khao Lak may well be a good compromise. It is on the right side of the peninsular for the weather, is a lot quieter than Phuket, has some good beaches and now has some decent options for accomodation. pre tsumpnami, we stayed at the Similana, a small resort right on the beach a few kms out of town, not particularly "upscale" but very pleasant but not sure if it is still there post tsunami. Friends stayed at The Sarojin which apparently is v good and the JW Marriott is highly recommended by some here. KL is about an hour from Phuket airport.

simpsonc510 May 20th, 2013 04:16 AM

J W Marriott in Khao Lak is excellent, but you might feel the need for a car, as there is nothing right outside the door. The Renaissance on Mai Khao beach (near to Phuket airport) is also nice, but feels a bit isolated; again a car might help. I prefer walking out the door of the resort and finding dining/shopping options "right there". You'll find this at Kata Beach, Phuket, but December is an extremely busy time, with repeat customers who come back year after year for the beach scene there. Kata Noi Beach is a bit smaller, but very nice. Kata Thani Resort is really nice on that beach. A quick shuttle ride or 10-15-minute stroll up and down hill would get you to Kata Beach dining/shopping from Kata Thani. No car needed.

Mom Tri's Villa Royale is overlooking Kata Noi beach, and is very upscale. We're talking maybe $500/night +. It might feel isolated but everything you want is a short shuttle/walk to Kata Beach. A very relaxing peaceful place to holiday!!! We've spent 2 New Years Eve holidays here, but this was before renovations and new suites/villas were added to the property. Definitely a place for pampering and rest!

I would not suggest Samui at this time of year. Weather will be better on the Andaman side.

JackGlasser May 23rd, 2013 03:39 PM

my wife can no longer do hills. I do wish to be able to step outside and possibly be very close to the beach, a block or so away for a lot of options- what would fit into that? Also maybe other months better and cheaper? Although for one of my daughters late December would be ideal.

khunwilko May 23rd, 2013 04:41 PM

Samui and Phuket are massively overdeveloped. The best beaches are now dominated by the big hotel chains - local and international.
Koh Lanta has kept high rise development out....so far....there are some interesting "green" resorts.
Eating on most of the islands has become drearily formulaic.

khunwilko May 23rd, 2013 04:42 PM

Samui has a 'double' wet season and is usually very wet until January.

simpsonc510 May 23rd, 2013 06:44 PM

December is pretty much the most expensive time to visit Phuket and the Andaman. Weather is usually excellent at that time. Samui, not so nice weatherwise.

Look at Mom Tri's Boathouse on Kata Beach Phuket. You can walk out the door of the resort to dining and shopping. No walking up and down hills at all. The Boathouse is at the far south end of Kata Beach, so not as busy as mid-beach resorts might be. Plus, the Boathouse Grill is one of the best Phuket restaurants, and it has a huge wine list. Go up and down the hill towards Kata Noi Beach in a taxi, shuttle, or tuk tuk to the restaurant at Villa Royale (Mom Tri's Kitchen) which is yet another top-notch restaurant on Phuket.

JackGlasser May 25th, 2013 02:38 PM

thanks simpsonc510: a few more questions: re Mom Tri's Boathouse: does the hotel have an elevator since my wife has issues with many flights of steps, even a few. Also the quietest location in hotel as well as newest and most accessible to beach, dinning,etc. Also, how far are the other hotels, restaurants. You talk about a hill-issue for wife. (the distance from being in the center of things). Lastly, what would be some alternatives on this beach-hoping for a 'clean' spot of beach and water; some opportunity of quiet,easier being in the center of things; somewhat upscale but not over the top hotel.

simpsonc510 May 25th, 2013 07:29 PM

Jack, I noted on tripadvisor some comments about the quieter rooms in the hotel. I honestly can't say whether the hotel has an elevator, but I'm guessing that it does. It is a very popular (and well-known) place that gets a lot of repeat business. Granted, that doesn't mean it HAS elevators, but I am about 95% sure it would have them. There are only 3, maybe 4 floors to the place. Remodeling was necessary after the tsunami, since the first floor was completely filled with water.

The hill I mentioned is the one that is in between the Boathouse and Mom Tri's Villa Royale, which is on Kata Noi Beach, a smaller (but VERY NICE) beach just to the south of Kata. If you walk outside of the Boathouse, there are no hills to climb to get to shopping and other dining venues along the beach road. Boathouse is at the far south end of Kata Beach, but that entire beach road is developed and has dining, shopping and entertainment aplenty. The entire beach road is a long walk, which I don't think I ever did, end to end.

Did you happen to have a look at the Kata Thani Resort, which is located directly on Kata Noi beach? It would be another great option for you, though the dining and shopping and strolling right outside the door of the resort is rather limited (as I remember it) but it could have been developed a lot more (post-tsunami) since I have stayed there. Kata Thani is a much larger resort, with several pools, several restaurant options, and lovely sea view rooms. You could easily take a taxi or shuttle to the Kata Beach road and enjoy what it has to offer. There will be plenty of walking around the grounds of the resort, and the beach is really nice!!

Carol

rhkkmk May 26th, 2013 03:40 PM

we love the jw Marriott in khao lak

simpsonc510 May 26th, 2013 05:15 PM

Bob, I like the J W as well, but I think it is too remote for Jack and his family. They prefer to walk out the door of the resort and find dining/shopping within easy walk.

JackGlasser May 26th, 2013 08:19 PM

I am still in the beginning stages of investigation in all of this, seeing if worth while to even do beach