Which SIM card to use in Bangkok

Oct 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Which SIM card to use in Bangkok

Hi, we're planning to be in Bangkok and Hua Hin for a week at Christmas-New Year. Normally we don't bother to take our cell phones along, but this time other family memebers are coming and we all need to be in touch. Which prepaid SIM card would you recommend? I have an unlocked Blackberry Bold (quad band and 3G). Ideally, I would love to have a prepaid SIM card that supports data as well as voice, but if that's not possible, voice only is fine.

Also, where in BKK airport can I buy the SIM card? We are flying in on Cathay Pacific (I don't know which terminal that comes into). Or is it preferable to buy it in Bangkok itself? And how much do these things typically cost? We really need it just for local calls and maybe a few overseas call. Data would be great to have, but as I said, I'll live without it if I have to. Thanks!
Oct 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM

I buy my SIM cards at MBK, 4th floor. They have everything you've ever wanted or dreamed of having for a phone. You can probably find data SIMs but I would not know where to begin to look, because I just use a plain old phone when in BKK (a phone I bought in BKK at MBK several years ago).
Oct 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM

You can buy Sims everywhere but for data+voice Sims I would go to any of the main mobile phone shops(located in most major malls). The biggest is AIS, follow by DTAC and then TRUE. Look out for any AIS shops(Telewiz, Seranade, AIS etc) or DTAC shops and bring your passport.

3G is in the trail phase in Thailand and is not available nationwide yet only in certain areas like Paragon mall, Central World and Chiang Mai. Expect your phone to work in EDGE mode only and I recommend AIS.

http://www.ais.co.th/en/index.html
http://www.dtac.co.th/english/
Oct 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Here's a better page for AIS prepaid Sims:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Conte....html#Internet
Oct 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM

My brother gave up on his Blackberry - and bought a cheap mobile locally - the phone cost about 1000 baht. (inc SIM)

If you want a SIM - you should be able to get one even at the airport - they cost 49/50 baht - and even have some credit on.......top-up is available everywhere and can also be done on an ATM.

As said 3G is only operational in Bkk and Chiang Mai -(and Bang Saen!?!).

Do you plan to bring a laptop?
Hutch do a service quicker than edge (Central Thailand), but I'm not sure if it stretches as for as Hua Hin for that you'd need to sign up and buy a dongle.
AIS do a 3G dongle for 4000 baht that will revert to edge in no- 3G areas. 500mb free per month)
Oct 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM

There are booths just outside of customs at the airport where you can purchase pre-paid SIM cards for use in Thailand. All the major operators are there, so you can shop around if you want to spend the time.
Oct 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM

i get mine at any 7/11 and i recharge them there as well....i had trouble with my phone from home with the unlocking and i ended up buying a cheap used phone which i took back and bought a good samsung phone and it was perfect.....MBK is a good place to do that but its a trip in itself...

there probably is a place very close to your hotel which can help you....ask the doorman
Oct 5th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies.

Hanuman and Michael - do either of you happen to know whether I could buy a prepaid data + voice SIM card at the airport itself? It sounds like I can easily get a voice SIM card at the airport, but since Hanuman suggested that the dual card is available, I would love to get it at the airport, so I can be connected right away as opposed to heading to a mall. If not, I'll head over to MBK in the afternoon after we check in at the hotel. I must admit, I'd love to be able to check my email and surf (yes I know, it's an addiction, I freely admit it).
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Baby-Bear

Keep in mind that internet cafes are plentiful and cheap. My apartment hotel has free wifi in-room, so I bring along my own mini laptop (Acer).

Carol
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM

They should have the prepaid data/voice Sims at:

AIS Mobile Phone Service at Suvarnabhumi Airport
Address : No. 999 Moo 1 Nong pru, Bangplee, Samutprakarn,
Passenger Terminal, Level 2/ Arrivals, Between Gate 6 and 7
Tel. 02 134 1398-9 Fax 02 134 1397 (Open 24 hours)
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Do you need my BB number?
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

No, I think I'm good from here! Thanks a lot for the info, we'll just grab a SIM card on the way out. I just hope Cathay doesn't land at Gate 3,000 or something - I remember thinking the new airport was massive last time I was there.

Carol, I know about the cafes, I just like having the convenience of using my own BB. Dusit Thani where we are staying, has free wi-fi as well in the club rooms but it's nice to able to stay connected even when we are sightseeing or shopping.
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Baby,

The gate refer to the exit gate or the gate you exit the airport not the arrival gate of your aircraft. For international arrival you will exit around gate 4 to 6 so you'll walk pass it.
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Even better, thanks for clarifying. In case we miss it, I'll be sure to ask someone.