Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Which rm at the Shangri-La Singapore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/which-rm-at-the-shangri-la-singapore-543897/)

mytha Jul 13th, 2005 10:55 AM

Which rm at the Shangri-La Singapore?

We are seriously considering an overnight stay at the Shangri-La in Singapore as part of our honeymoon trip. Checking their website, I got really confused as to which room to book! Valley wing vs Horizon vs Tower wing? Garden view vs city view? Thank you :-)

glorialf Jul 13th, 2005 11:31 AM

For a honeymoon I would stay in the Valley Wing. The Horizon wing is more for business people. The tower is where their regular rooms which are fine but to be honest you could be in any large hotel anywhere in the world. It was nothing special. I have not stayed in the Valley Wing but I know people who have liked it a lot. For a honeymoon I would either stay there or look at some of the other hotels in Singapore for a special experience.

Guenmai Jul 13th, 2005 11:47 AM

Go to the Ritz Carlton and get a MARINA view....it doesn't get any better than that!I vacation in Singapore regularly. Happy Travels!

mytha Jul 13th, 2005 08:30 PM

Thank you for the replies ;-). I have checked out the ritz and think its stunning, but I'm a bit worried about the location (orchard vs marina). I'm still considering a stay there. My hubby likes the Raffles but I don't know if the rooms are as nice. It looks a bit "dark" on the internet.

glorialf Jul 13th, 2005 09:12 PM

I loved Raffles but then I much prefer older historic hotels to modern ones.I stayed there once and stayed at the Shangrila once and much prefered Raffles. Have not stayed at the Ritz but am sure you can't go wrong there. Raffles however oozes history and if you're into that it's great. It's also VERY expensive so if history isn't your thing don't waste your money.

marmot Jul 13th, 2005 10:52 PM

There are actually three different wings. The Valley is the newest, big rooms. (I think the Horizon Club is a special area of the the Valley. Not sure, though.) The Tower is the tallest, most "business-tourist" oriented. The Garden is a lowrise with big balconies covered with Bougainvilla. I always preferred the Garden wing because I loved to sit on the balcony on tropical nights or have breakfast al fesco.

The Shangri-La has been around for a while and in spite of frequent make overs isn't as updated as the Ritz. It does, however, have the most spacious gardens and pool area of any hotel in Singapore. It's a bit of a hike to the Orchard Road shopping/restaurant area though. A short taxi ride, but not as conveniently located as the Orchard Road properties like the Four Seasons.

Raffles is lovely too. It's smaller than the Shang and doesn't have the extensive grounds, but it's loaded with charm.

kilofoxtrot Jul 13th, 2005 10:54 PM

Shangri La location isn't exactly in Orchard, you will still need to take a taxi. They recenly started a great buffet restaurant, if you have breakfast included in the room it will be fantastic.
Agree with Guenmai Ritz Carlton hotel - for the spectacular view. Every time you look out the window the Merlion will reminded that you are in Singapore!

wein Jul 14th, 2005 02:12 AM

Shang is special cos of its extensive gardens. Cant find that in many hotels! If you must stay in the Valley Wing.Unfortunately they cost almost as much as Raffles Hotel. RH is the best hotel in SIngapore. YOu'd find many Shangs, Ritz and FOur Seasons in other parts ofthe world but there is only one Raffles. The rooms are not definitely not dark!

mytha Jul 15th, 2005 02:04 AM

Thanks everyone! Finally decided on staying at Raffles. Wein and Gloria you are SO right. Any advise on which room to book is welcome. Thanks again everyone for all the help and advise. :-)

glorialf Jul 15th, 2005 03:28 AM

Mytha-- If money is no object, I'd say you made the right choice.