Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which of these Osaka day trips is best or WORST on a weekend?

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 full days in Osaka and would like to do the following day trips but am trying to decide which to do when. Which would be the WORST or best on the weekend?

By "worst" I mean most crowded, fewest transportation options and most limited hours.

1. Hiroshima/Miyajima
2. Nara
3. Koyasan (or something like that)
4. Himeji Castle

It will be in mid-April, after Cherry Blossoms, before Golden Week. I will have Wednesday thru Saturday (plus half of Sunday before my flight)

I will already have spent time in Kyoto before Osaka. My Osaka hotel is already booked so I can't stay overnight in any of them.

Question 2: which of these 4 options would be best to pair with a nice half day hike in mountains or forest?
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 09:08 PM
kja

I’m sorry that I can’t answer your question, but hope you realize that Koyasan does not make a good daytrip destination. Most people go to spend a night in a temple, and to visit Okunoin at dusk or dawn (or both) and – as time permits – see some of the temples for which the mountain is known. It will take hours and hours to get there, double it for the return.

Getting to Hiroshima AND Miyajima on the same day trip would be a stretch, IMO.

Nara has such a wealth of sites that with only one day trip, you will do well to think through your priorities in advance. I spent 2 full days there, and wish I’d had more.

“My Osaka hotel is already booked so I can't stay overnight in any of them.”
Please look up the term “sunk costs."

And consult japan-guide.com

Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 11:23 PM

Koyasan is probably going to be busy, no matter what. Itís tiny. It gets a tour buses. The ďbestĒ time to be there is after the tour buses arrive. You canít do that unless you stay the night.

similarily. I donít think thereís a ďgoodĒ time to visit Himeji. Sort of struck me at one of those tourist spots that always has crowds.

i technically did Miyajima/Hiroshima in a day. Arguably, shortchanged both, but thatís because I didnít actually want to see much of either. I regret not spending more time on Miyajima. I really only went to Hiroshima for the museum, and half day was fine for that. But you need to look at opening hours. Japanís museums/stores tend to shut down early. I think you might see less than you envision, once you add in travel times.

nara is the shame. I could skip all of the above, probably, in favor of two nights in Nara. And when are you going to see osaka? I like osaka, but staying there when youíll barely see anything se seems a waste.

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Nara may be best because it is an open area rather than sites where you can't avoid a line (Himeji-jo or the museum in Hiroshima). But it is really a toss-up - any of those places sh/could be busy.

Koyasan is less than two hours from Osaka. I stayed in Osaka in April (at the Westin) and thought about a day trip to Koyasan - I am interested visiting there but have zero interest in spending the night there. I think there is some hiking there, or at least nice walks.

I did go to Himeji that April and it was busy, not crazy. I didn't go inside the castle as I had done that before. I went to see cherry blossoms but they were still in buds. But just Himeji would be less than a full day.

Maybe the lines at the Hiroshima museum would be ok if it is a nice day and you also have the Peace Park to visit. Miyajima does have a bit of hiking, up Misen at least.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 05:32 PM
kja

There are some nice walks / hikes on Koyasan and Miyajima.