Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Which Marriott Property in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/which-marriott-property-in-bangkok-915641/)

Ajolder Dec 22nd, 2011 01:26 PM

Which Marriott Property in Bangkok?

First time to Bangkok, will spend four nights in February including full weekend. Appreciate recommendation for which Marriott property to stay at. Typically stay in club floor rooms. On business but as mentioned have free weekend. Intend to book hotel soon, can sort out things to do later. Appreciate input from those familiar.

Kathie Dec 22nd, 2011 01:46 PM

A number of the Marriott properties in Bangkok are serviced apartments rather than hotels. I'd recommend the JW Marriott for your purposes.

Ajolder Dec 22nd, 2011 02:02 PM

Thank you Kathie - yes I am only interested in hotels, not apartments. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Appears to me leading candidates would be JW Marriott and the Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but asking for any feedback on these so I may make decison.

Hanuman Dec 22nd, 2011 03:03 PM

I like the location of the Renaissance better and you will be very close to some very big malls(Central World, Central Chidlom and Paragon) and the BTS. The lobby of the Renaissance is very "colorful" but I don't know what the rooms are like.

David_Dunn Dec 22nd, 2011 03:48 PM

I stayed in the Renaissance last July. The hotel is uber chic: lots of monochromatic marble/glass/chrome & smooth jazz piped throughout the public spaces. The rooms were very comfortable. Our room was gorgeous with ultra modern bathroom with separate tub/shower/and water closet. The bathroom was like seeing a glass box in the room; when inside the bathroom, hit a switch and the shades come down for privacy. The semi-enclosed pool & gym were very nice. Also had dry sauna & steam room. The breakfast buffet was the BEST with fresh squeezed orange juice included. Several major malls are within a 5-10 minute walk, and our favorite restaurant, "Gaggan", is an easy 10 minute walk around the corner and down LangSuan Rd. We are returning to Bangkok in June, and this will be our choice, hands down.

evelyne13 Dec 22nd, 2011 05:33 PM

Stayed at the JW Marriott, rooms are great, beautiful bathroom
but the best was the club lounge, never had one with a chef and just fantastic food, also comes with an outside terrace.
Walking distance to BTS.

qwovadis Dec 23rd, 2011 01:43 AM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/jw-m...angkok.en.html
My fav just snagged 70000 points with new marriott.com
credit card hope to head there next year.Other options
with honest recent reviews above.Flash preferred guest
biz card for club floor suite upgrades for free.

Happy Travels!

galactus Dec 23rd, 2011 03:24 AM

Another vote for the JW Marriott, for their excellent service. And oh, the Sushi bar is nice too!

rhkkmk Dec 23rd, 2011 04:49 AM

the serviced apartments are the same as a hotel, only they offer more room...

i particualrily like the location of and the rooms at the marriott mayfair...

the jw is a very nice hotel, but the pool is not fantastic...location is very convenient...

the courtyard is in a good location and is cheaper...

rennaissance is newish and very nice by all reports...

Kathie Dec 23rd, 2011 06:52 AM

But Bob, if you are looking for a place with a Club floor, neither the serviced apartments nor places like the courtyard offer that. As you know, we visited several of the Marriott serviced apartments in Bangkok a few weeks ago. I have to say that we decided we aren't ready for that - too addicted to club floors! The serviced apartments just don't have the service of a full-servie hotel, let alone a Club floor in a good hotel.

Kathie Dec 23rd, 2011 07:01 AM

Has anyone stayed on the Club floor of the Renaissance? I have to say that evelyne's comments on the Club floor at the JW are persuasive for me... We have well over a million Marriott points, so will start to use those more once we retire.

rhkkmk Dec 23rd, 2011 09:54 AM

true, but the marfair is as close to a normal hotel as one can get, imo... and the location is better than most bkk hotels, imo too...

Kathie Dec 23rd, 2011 11:27 AM

I thought the Mayfair was nice, and the location was good, but - it doesn't have the service we like.

darrenmike99 Dec 23rd, 2011 01:41 PM

Go for JW Marriott

Huffy112 Dec 23rd, 2011 09:54 PM

May I ask why JW?
What does the JW provide that the Renaissance does not?

I have read your reviews and greatly appreicate the photos and details.

I am coming to Bangkok this coming Sunday and want to finalize the hotel. I plan on using Marriott Rewards points. I am stuck between the two hotels maybe 3 if I consider the Courtyard. I am coming with the wife for our honeymoon. We are 27-30 years old, active, plan on visiting/doing the tourist things, then some shopping, eating the local foods, and perhaps check out the night life one night if time permits.

I plan on staying 5 nights using points. Renaissance is 80k points while JW is 100k points. The Courtyard is 60k.

I believe you have stayed at both the JW and Renaissance in Bangkok? Which one would you recommend? What are the pros/cons of each? What are the main differences for a platinum premier elite Marriott rewards member? What are the perks for a platinum premier member at each?

Which hotel has better room views?

Which one is closer to the markets (shopping), street food, and resturants?
Thanks in advance for your input!

rhkkmk Dec 24th, 2011 08:21 AM

i think you would find little difference between JW and R, but courtyard is a lesser hotel... JW is older than R so not as updated--more conventional..

you would be happier at either

David_Dunn Dec 24th, 2011 01:53 PM

I have not stayed in the JW, but have walked through the lobby. In my opinion, the "feel" of the JW is that of a DELUXE Big City Hotel. The Renaissance (which I have stayed in) is more Chic/Trendy/Modern. They are equally 5 star, it's just what do you prefer? Luxury Big City Feel or Trendy Big City Feel.

From the exterior of the Courtyard Bangkok, which is right behind the Renaissance (I could see it out my window), it looked like any other 1st Class Hotel. It gets excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, and many folks say, it's more comparable to a USA brand Marriott rather than a Courtyard.

rhkkmk Dec 25th, 2011 06:54 PM

most overseas courtyards seem to be of a higher quality than their usa counterparts...

Kalil_Daoud Dec 26th, 2011 07:15 AM

I have stayed at both club floors, the JW Marriott's and the Renaissance, and, hands down, the JW Marriott is the better property. Our photos of the JW Marriott are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7622147537990/

The Renaissance are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7623281787891/

Kathie Dec 26th, 2011 08:08 AM

Thanks, Kalil, I was waiting to hear from someone who had stayed on the club floors of both properties.