Which market in Bangkok?

Oct 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Which market in Bangkok?

We have three days in Bangkok, and apart from a few souvenirs and maybe some nice stuff for the house (a painting or handicraft), we're not big shoppers.

We'll be in Bangkok over a weekend so we have the choice to visit the Chatuchak weekend market. But, I've heard that the Suam Lim Night market is just as good, but less chaotic and cleaner.

We'll also be visiting Chiang Mai after Bangkok (but not over a weekend).

Which market/markets do you recommend we visit?

Thanks!
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM

You can do the shopping in Chiangmai at their night market which is manageable. Happy Travels!
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guenmai,

Are either of these markets worth the visit for the "experience"?

Thanks
Rahul
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I think the night bazaar in Chiang Mai is a 'must' if you've never been there.

Chatuchak can be very interesting, but it can also be exhausting and it's so big you can easily miss something that might have made it all worthwhile.
Oct 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Whenever I go to Chatchchat I am finished shopping and am leaving the market at around 11:30AM. As I'm leaving, in the heat of the day, the hoards of folks are pouring in. I've found some really nice things there, but if you're on a time restraint then do it in Chiangmai. When I'm in BKK, I'm there for 3 weeks so I have time to go to Chatuachat and even have things custom made and then go back to pick them up etc...Happy Travels!
Oct 26th, 2007, 04:46 AM

If the Suam Lim night market in BKK is still open then I would suggest you go there rather than the Weekend market. Its less of a zoo, the temps will be better, its more relaxing- and gives you something to do in the evening!
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Does anyone know if the Suam Lim night market is still open?
Oct 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM

The weekend market in Bangkok is certainly a unique experience! Yes it is hot, not so clean in places, and very crowded, but it is the largest market of its kind (in the world???.. I think that's what I have heard). I went there every trip, the first 3-4 times I went to BKK, and then didn't go again until my 11th trip just because of how hot and crowded it can get. I will have to say, I enjoyed it this last time (July). Traveling on the subway, which exits right into the market, makes it more convenient than when I was riding the skytrain. I was also happy to have a look at the new JJ Mall which is just outside the grounds of Chatuchak. I ended up with several bags to carry home (in a taxi).

Suan Lum Night Bazaar is an interesting BKK market. Prices are a little higher than Chatuchak IMO. The selection is not as large, but there is a nice entertainment area with beer and food that can be fun to experience. Plus, it is more pleasant to wander the aisles in the evening! It is also not as crowded as Chatuchak. I'm not sure when it is closing, but maybe someone here will have that information. Rumors have been flying for a couple of years... And if you are just shopping for a few souvenirs and hand crafts, this may be your best option.

I have had good luck and not-so good luck at finding things in Chiang Mai at the night market. Is it a "must-do" in Chiang Mai? If you are staying in the city and visiting the sights for a few days, then I guess my answer would be yes. If you go to CM just for the night market, you might be disappointed. I was surprised, this last July, to find some things in CM priced higher than I had seen them in BKK! It used to be the other way around.

In any case, be ready to haggle over prices! It can be lots of fun.

Enjoy your trip.

Carol

Oct 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM

The weekend market in BKK is frequented by locals as well as tourists. Suan Lum, although I enjoyed it, is strictly for tourists. It is a nice evening since there are outdoor restaurants and the Joe Louis Puppet Theatre which should not be missed.
The night market in Chiang Mai is strictly for tourists, althogh I enjoy that too. The Anusarn Market in Chiang Mai (perpendicular to the Night Market Street is interesting with more one of a kind items and an outdoor food court as well as free traditional Thai dance demonstrations nightly.
Oct 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM

If you want to avoid crowds & heat, & are not big shoppers then choose Suan Lim. It is not as hectic, plus you can sit down in the open air food court & listen to the entertainment or watch the kick boxing or puppets. Chatuchak is exhusting, but if you want to see one of the biggest markets in the world for the experience it is pretty amazing - just very hot & crowded! Chiang Mai night market is fabulous - well worth browsing there & you can find items that are different to the usual tourist soiuvenirs.
Oct 27th, 2007, 04:34 AM

If you go to Suun Lum Market, make sure you go see the Joe Louis Puppet Theater. It is truly a wonderful experience.
Oct 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Hands down, Suan Lum-you can get some good bargains here, if you look carefully, and bargain well-it's a lot of fun. Chatachat, is too far away, it's too hot and crowded, and I just didn't care for it. I went there once, and after I discovered Suan Lum that's the only market I really go to in Bangkok.

Of course, I'd really wait to do my shopping at the Chiang Mai Night Market-there you will get the best bargains, as most of Bangkok's goods come from the CM area.
Oct 30th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the responses.

I think we'll end up going to both. Even if Chatuchak might be overwhelming, it might give some photo ops...
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM

If you only have 3 days in bangkok I would skip both markets and wait until chiang mai.
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Maybe this question should be a separate post in itself, but the previous post made me think:

How do you recommend we spend 3.5 days in Bangkok? Please keep in mind that we'll be arriving in from SFO so the day we arrive (1/2 a day really) is gone since we'll be dead tired:

I have the main attractions listed to be done on the first day: (Emerald Buddha, Wat Pho and the palace).
On the second or third day, we'll goto Jim Thompson House.

What else do you recommend we do when we're there?

Thanks!
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM

First day -- klong trip, Wat Arun and flower market
2nd day -- Temple of Emerald Buddha/Grand Palace, Jim Thompson House
3rd day -- Wat Po, Vinanamek mansion or Prasart Museum

I would do Wat Po and temple of emerald buddha on different days and get there first thing in the morning. Klong trip is relaxing which is why I put it first.
Oct 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! This helps a lot.