Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   which is the best hotel in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/which-is-the-best-hotel-in-bangkok-505153/)

daisyho Feb 18th, 2005 05:19 PM

which is the best hotel in Bangkok?

My parents, my sister and her boyfriend, my husband and I will stay in Bangkok for 3D/2N in early Mar We're looking at Superior/Deluxe class of hotels for the sake of my parents, and now we narrow down the choices as follows, please suggest which is the best for us in terms of location, services, room quality, the comfortability of the bed and bathroom:

1. Sheraton Grande Sukumivit
2. Conrad
3. Westin
4. Peninsula
5. Banyan Tree
7. Four Seasons
8. Naturalville

This is urgent, pls reply your comment ASAP.

Thanks

simpsonc510 Feb 18th, 2005 08:06 PM

Of the hotels you just listed, I would say the Peninsula would be my choice. I am familiar with most of the ones you have named. If you read my thread, "I'm Back in Bangkok" and go the bottom post, you will read my review of the Banyan Tree, which I just toured yesterday, including a look at the Presidential Suite. Nice hotel, but not one I would choose to stay in.

I like the Four Seasons for location near shopping and sky train. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit would also be good for shopping location. Peninsula, which would be my first choice, is on the river and you must take their ferry across the river to a skytrain station if you want to shop at the biggest shopping area in the city.
Carol

rhkkmk Feb 18th, 2005 08:07 PM

of those you list the peninsula and the 4 seasons tie for the best all around hotel but because the penn is on the river i feel that it is superior...the conrad is the newest...

lots depends on what you inted to do in bkk during your time there as it is limited....so location will dictate this...

my favorite is the marriott resort and spa and your parents would love the garden there and the activity on the river...it is less expensive than most you have listed....

i am staying there 4 seperate times in may/june this year with my wife...

i do not like the sheraton, but many here do...it is nicely located next to a large shopping mall however...

both the penn and the marriott are across the river in thornburi, so you have short boat rides to the sky train...but these boats make it very convenient...

rhkkmk Feb 18th, 2005 08:09 PM

a good hotel booking site is: www.huahin.20m.com....scroll down to other thailand locations and then drop the window to reveal bangkok city...i use them all the time...

AdrenalineBoy Feb 18th, 2005 08:12 PM

Hands down the best hotel in Bangkok is The Oriental. Many people think it's the best hotel in the world. It's basically over 125 years of timeless royalty - no other hotel can hold a candle to it.

Kathie Feb 18th, 2005 08:37 PM

I would definitely recommend that you stay on the river. That means you should consider the Pen (if you like new and lots of techno-gadgets) or the Oriental if you prefer old world luxury.

orgy7 Feb 18th, 2005 10:18 PM

sheriton Grnad SUK is right off of asoke BTS station an dthe only mall is time square which is NOTHING.. but is is on Sukunvit bussy street.. it's basicly accross the street from the Westin..

I say go too Naturevil.. becouse I've never heard of it and would like too read a report about a place other then the pen and mariott

glorialf Feb 19th, 2005 04:33 AM

I'm someone who firmly believes that the Oriental is head and shoulders above all other hotels. However, it is also the most expensive. If you don't want to spend the extra money (and I think you should since I know you won't regret it), I would go with the Peninsula. The rooms are large and lovely. The location is on the river which is a must. I find it a bit too cold and impersonal for my taste but most people rave about it so I'm sure you'll be very happy there.

lbrown7 Feb 19th, 2005 05:58 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton Grande last September and it was wonderful. The room and bathroom are very large. The staff was wonderful, but that is probably the same everywhere in BKK.

The pool area was fantastic, all tropical with plants and mini falls. I felt like I was in some tropical paradise when out by their pool.

I will be going back this September with my son and plan to stay there again. Also, like it was said above there is a skytrain stop right by the hotel.

jodo Feb 19th, 2005 06:51 AM

Another vote for the Penn. We've stayed at the Sheraton, Shangrila, and the Penn. You'll want the river...and you;ll like the service. The standard hotel room at the Penn isn't so "grand" and the hotel lobby isn't as magnificant as some other choices, but as "luxury" hotels go, it's one of the most reasonable for the service and location. The Oriental still makes me like I can't wear my back-back in the lobby....might be a false impression.

crellston Feb 19th, 2005 09:54 AM

Of those you list I have stayed at The Peninsula & The Conrad. The Conrad wins hands down as far as I am concerned. In nice area on Wireless Rd, the restaurants are excellent & good value & the rooms superb and, being new are in pristine condition. The bathrooms are amazing. We stayed in a Classic Room (standard) which we booked at the airport on the day for 3500bht ($90. I was disappointed with the Peninsua last time I stayed as we were shown 3 room before we found one that was up to standard. Having said that, the Penn does have great restaurants right on the River. The Oriental is a bit staid for my taste.

glorialf Feb 19th, 2005 03:56 PM

The back pack rule at the Oriental is for security. If they know you there is no problem, I wore a back pack every day -- never had a problem. Strangers were stopped. Personally that made me perfectly happy. As for it being staid -- how staid is a hotel when the staff hugs and kisses guests they know and disco with the guests after midnight on New Year's Eve. I actually felt the staff at the Peninsula was much more formal.

One negative about the Oriental is the pool area is very small. I never go in pools so it's not a problem for me but if you want a large pool area this is not the hotel for you.

Kevey Feb 20th, 2005 07:27 AM

Maybe not deluxe, deluxe, but certainly we enjoyed a extremely comfortable stay, not to mention very friendly, at the Landmark Hotel in Sukhumvit Road - a 5 star hotel at a very affordable price in my opinion.

daisyho Feb 20th, 2005 11:38 PM

Well, my parents have ruled out Peninsula as they heard that they need to take a boat trip…....this no good to them, also there seems to be no shopping around that area, isn’t it?

My parents said hotel being conveniently located near subway/BTS is essential as we’ve only 3D/2N stay, it won’t worth to be stuck in traffic. So now we’ve trimmed down to the following hotels, please again vote:

1. Four Seasons (Is it near BTS, how long it takes to walk?)
2. Grand Hyatt
3. Conrad (Is it near BTS, how long it takes to walk?)
4. Sheraton Grande Sukumvit
5. Westin Grande Sukumvit

Thanks again

hobbes Feb 20th, 2005 11:53 PM

Of the 5 hotels you ahve mentioned IMO The Four Seasons is by far the best. The Four Seasons and Grand Hyatt are almost adjacent (one building in between). Both are well located from the BTS tho Grand Hyatt is a tad closer to the Chitlom BTs which is the Sukhumvit line and probably the one you will use. The Conrad is a couple minutes away from Ploenchit BTS. I like the Conrad and comp agree with the above poster's comments re how new everything is at the hotel - I would only comment it is decorated in a fairly modern, minimalist style which for example might not appeal to MY parents much.

glorialf Feb 21st, 2005 05:16 AM

I agree that the Four Seasons is the best amont those you mentioned but you really are missing something by not staying on the river. I can understand not wanting to be on the Thonburi side but do consider The Shangrila, Oriental or Royal Orchid. They are in very convenient locations.

watakeet Feb 21st, 2005 07:08 AM

I just wonder if Sukhothai Hotel will be a nice choice if one prefers elaborate Thai atmosphere. Personally I haven't been there but heard many others' praise for it.

orgy7 Feb 21st, 2005 07:48 AM

Rachadamri (SP) BTS staion SILOM LINE.. is a couple cf yard from the four Seasons.. if you want one of the best thai style hotels in town which is actually near everthing except the river then your perents are smart coookies.

daisyho Feb 21st, 2005 05:02 PM

My parents are old and don't like to ride a boat trip which sounds not comfortable if there's raining etc.

I agree so much Four Seasons is a great place to stay. I liked the Biscotti italian rest so much that everytime I visited Bangkok, I definitely went there. The only drawback is that I have an impression that Four Seasons is a bit old now, they just changed the name from Regent to Four Seasons for 2 years, yet it seems no new renovation have every been made to the room/building, isn't it? So that's why I'm considering Sheraton Grande Sukumvit and Conrad, which are newer than Four Seasons. So my question is:

1. Given the old age of Four Seasons, does it still worth staying there because of its location and food?

2. Between Sheraton and Conrad, which one is better in terms of choice of restaurants around, room quality and location? (Conrad told me All Seasons Place adjacent to them is a great place for food, shopping, is this true?)

Please advise. Thanks again,
Daisy

rhkkmk Feb 21st, 2005 05:38 PM

the conrad is the newest...sheraton is maybe 8 years old...all are very lux...the 4 seasons keeps things up very nicely, but it is more of an old world hotel: quiet/restrained luxuary...

how about the peninsula...the boat ride is less than 5 minutes...the boats are very nice and your parents would love the experience, by the way...

the conrad is right in the back yard of the 4 seasons more or less, so it is the same neighborhood...the mall is right there and there are numerous restaurants all around that area and other hotels...

you better make res soon or you will be out of luck...march is next month...