Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Which boat to take on Halong Bay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/which-boat-to-take-on-halong-bay-355270/)

travelmemories May 5th, 2008 04:48 PM

Which boat to take on Halong Bay?

What would be your top choice for a Luxury boats in Halong Bay and why? I have read that there are a few newer boats that have been built for this overnight excursion. Has anyone gone on these? Again top choice for a luxury boat on the Bay any why?

filmwill May 5th, 2008 07:16 PM

I highly recommend Cruise Halong and their amazing boats: either the Halong Ginger (which we were on back in November) or their brand new boat, the Jasmine (which looks even nicer!)

Check out their website and the individual boats:
http://cruisehalong.com/

We loved everything from the gorgeous staterooms and marble bathrooms with full shower to lavish decor mindful of the local flavor. The food was absolutely stellar...the seafood especially fresh and delicious! We opted for a 2-night cruise, which I highly recommend. Most folks only do 1 night--see the typical Halong sites, then head back. We did that the first day, but then on the 2nd, we were picked up by our own private junk, and took an unforgettable day of our own...kayaking through some off-the-beaten-path sites with our own private crew and chef.

All-in-all, it really just can't be beat, IMHO.

Some people prefer the Emeraude, the other luxury junk in Halong...it's way too big and touristy for my taste, but to each their own.

FromDC May 6th, 2008 05:35 AM

I'm beginning to put together a Vietnam trip for early November and want to include a cruise, so this is terrific info. Do you recall the cost of the 2 night cruise - - there is no info on the website. Also, recommendations for a room? Thanks

filmwill May 6th, 2008 11:18 AM

fromDC, not cheap when compared to other options on Halong. But for a luxury boat, I thought it was very reasonable.

I don't have the exact #s on me, but if I recall correctly, it was around $450/pp total for both nights which included accommodation, all food, kayaking, entrance fees, taxes and service charges AND private van transfer which was, at least to me, not a bad deal at all.

Definitely one of the highlights of our trip last year.

filmwill May 6th, 2008 11:19 AM

Forgot to mention we did the deluxe rooms on the Ginger, which is one queen size bed as opposed to two double beds. Looks like the new boat (the Jasmine) has even more options, including private balcony and jacuzzis. Dang, makes me wanna go back now!

FromDC May 6th, 2008 12:43 PM

Thanks, it sounds great.

ekscrunchy May 6th, 2008 02:25 PM

I took a one-night cruise on the Emeraude recently. It is not a junk but a replica steamboat. I am not sure how much bigger it really is than the other high-end vessels..
The food was plentiful and excellent. Drinks are extra.
Most of my fellow cruisers were European, with a smattering of Thais and two other Americans.

I will be finishing my report soon which will include my thoughts on the cruise but if you want any info before then, ask away.

http://www.emeraude-cruises.com/halong.html

FromDC May 6th, 2008 03:19 PM

VERY anxious to get the rest of your Vietnam report. Am ready to post a query for initial itinerary planning.

alison May 8th, 2008 03:17 PM

After a great deal of research, we are booked on the Valentine for end of June. It's luxury, only 5 cabins. We also considered the Ginger, the Jasmine and the Bhaya, but after corresponding with others who just took the Valentine decided to go with it because it was small and even newer than the others (except the Jasmine, which is as new but quite a bit larger).
Check out many reviews on Trip Advisor in the Vietnam forum.
And I will post a detailed trip report when i return mid-July.

Paulo59 May 10th, 2008 10:13 AM

Does anyone know if you need to take Malerone or some other malaria meds while on Halong Bay? I am a trying to avoid malaria meds as I had stomach issues last time I took them.

linjudy Oct 3rd, 2008 06:33 AM

These sound great! Can I wait until getting to Hanoi to book a trip or do they sell out and I should book while here?

Craig Oct 3rd, 2008 06:44 AM

linjudy - I think you'll want to reserve the deluxe boats mentioned on this thread in advance - best done through a Hanoi-based travel agency. However if you will be there in Jan/Feb you may want to take a pass on this as the weather on the bay may not be that great. Also, this trip is either one extremely long uncomfortable day or two full days with an overnight on the boat. Since you only have 4 days in Hanoi, it may not be worth the time.

Kathie Oct 3rd, 2008 08:02 AM

linjudy, if you are interested in Hanoi itself (a fascinating city with lots to see and do IMO), then skip Halong Bay. As Craig says, it's likely to be cold and misty at the time of the year you are there, and it will take up one or two full days, with many hours of not very interesting driving.

linjudy Oct 4th, 2008 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice! I thought during high season the weather would be good?

The quote I got back for Jasmin from their website is $507 for a delux room and $437 for a standard room. Plus $125 for the drive to/from Hanoi, and $50 if we want to kayak. Seems very expensive?

Kathie Oct 4th, 2008 11:39 AM

Yes, it sounds very expensive.

"I thought during high season the weather would be good? " You're going to four different countries, which have a lot of variation in weather patterns. What's high season in one place is not in another. Hanoi will be rather cool, highs in the mid-60s, and Halong will be cooler.

Take a look at www.weatherbase.com for info on weather at each location you are visiting..