which areas are closest to airport

Nov 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

which areas are closest to airport

Curious if "business district" is easier access to airport vs. river area?
cheers!
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM

business district an odd designation in bkk as there are many...generally most of the bus. districts like silom and sathorn have a less good access than say soi 2 on sukhumvit, but not much less...

the marriott riverside and peninsula and hilton have a far less easy access but in all cases it is not all that bad...allow an extra 15-30 minutes depending on time of day...
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

so sukimvit area is good place to start in terms of location (access to airport/sites/shopping)? What are nice hotels in that area? We are staying on the river the last 3 nights..thanks bob.
Nov 30th, 2005, 07:55 PM

along sukhumvit there are many:

jw marriott, westin grande, sheraton grande (very nice), landmark, conrad, four seasons, intercontinental, new holiday inn plenochit, hyatt, plaza anthanee, chateau de bangkok---the last 7 are slighly further away but not far...
these are the best hotels imo....there are many many more....these are all 4 or 5 star...

look at: www.huahin.20m.com
listings are arranged by street
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM

The river hotels have better access to sites, the hotels along Sukhumvit are good for access to shopping center, if that's where you like to shop. I really don't care much for shopping centers as they have mostly international goods rather than the Thai goods or SE Asia crafts I'm looking for.
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM

kathie---i think her question was about access to the airport...
Dec 1st, 2005, 02:47 AM

While much of Sukhumvit/Ploenchit is focused on Western-style shopping centers, you can find some good shopping for Thai goods and crafts in the area. Soi 23 especially is chock-a-block with interesting shops, and the top floor of the otherwise-Western-mallish Gaysorn Plaza has some superb craft shops. Also, about 2 doors down from Gaysorn is a sort of crafts mall, with the usual ratio of junk to good stuff.

(yeah, the original question was about airport access, but a thread hijack is always in the spirit of the season.)
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hello, thanks for the info--all very helpful. Actually, i don't mind the extra details--I guess I had assumed this area was closer to the sites too (as it appears more central). The rates are cheaper than river hotels, so thought we could stay somewhere fairly reasonable and do all our sightseeing plus not huge drive from the airport.
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:55 AM

the sites are spread out in bkk....no one area is better than an other..and with the skytrain it really makes no difference...palace is accessible via boat but not skytrain....otherwise taxi...same applies to other places...none is really on the skytrain route except jim thompson house...

i don't think it really matters where you stay for convenience....the river is just so much nicer in every way, imo