Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Which Airline Has The Most Comfortable Economy Seats SFO-Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/which-airline-has-the-most-comfortable-economy-seats-sfo-asia-872394/)

seeksocean Jan 7th, 2011 08:43 AM

Which Airline Has The Most Comfortable Economy Seats SFO-Asia

I am used to flying EVA Evergreen Deluxe from SFO to either Thailand or Bali. But now you can't get Continental miles for that class of service and you have to purchase the 'K' class economy. Also, with the merging of Continental and United Airlines, EVA may be out of the picture. I have read a few Singapore Airlines Economy reviews and they weren't as positive as I would have hoped.

So, any suggestions for economy travel between these locations? Thanks!

rkkwan Jan 7th, 2011 09:18 AM

Go down to LAX and fly Thai (TG) non-stop to BKK. They use the A345 and even in economy it has 36" pitch. Way more than any other standard economy.

Asiana is also good, but they don't go to SFO either, and you need to connect in ICN.

Both are *A airlines, so you earn miles on CO/UA.

WillJame Jan 7th, 2011 04:04 PM

Check seatguru.com for your specific airline, flight, and plane. You can order the comparison chart by seat width and by pitch. (As Rhkkmk says, nothing comes close to TG for pitch on the Airbus.)

seeksocean Jan 7th, 2011 04:21 PM

Thanks...but now we are leaning towards Bali, so Thai Airlines doesn't really work for that. And, we would rather fly out of SFO. Any ideas on that? I will look at seatguru. Good idea!

rhkkmk Jan 7th, 2011 05:21 PM

probably none... but korean is very comfortable with good service

seeksocean Jan 7th, 2011 06:26 PM

Thanks...I am thinking Korean or Cathay Pacific, because they are partners with Alaska Airlines. Which of the two would you pick? It'll be tough to beat EVA's Evergreen Deluxe. I can't believe how much more expensive it got. And I hear that Bali is more expensive...as one friend puts it, it's "Eat, Pray, Pay!"

rhkkmk Jan 7th, 2011 06:38 PM

i find bali to be reasonable.... hotels are the most expensive part of a trip there, but food is very very reasonable as is transportation...

korean is fantastic.... i flew to bali last year from DC and it was probably the best flight i have ever had.... we did spend an overnight at the airport at the very nice hyatt there which would not work for some but we had the time...

dgunbug Jan 7th, 2011 07:11 PM

I'll vouch for Korean as well. Economy seats in the back of the plane with the 2 seat configuration.

seeksocean Jan 8th, 2011 04:17 AM

Thanks! Do you buy your tickets directly from the airline? Last time I bought international seats from an online travel site it was a hassle when there were changes and cancelations, because I had to do everything through that site and not directly through the airline. It was Expedia and the 'hold' time was horrible. Also, the last time I paid economy for Bali tickets was many years ago. It looks like around $1200RT for November, SFO-DPS. Is that about right, or do the prices go down?

qwovadis Jan 8th, 2011 04:35 AM

www.seatexpert.com

www.seatguru.com

Lays best seats on each carrier out well

KAL best for price usually but

www.farecompare.com www.cheapoair.com

good for SFO Asia screening

SAL expensive best for upper classes

but not worth extra for coach for me usually.

Always try to shoot for an exit for more leg room.

Happy Hunting,

qwovadis Jan 8th, 2011 04:41 AM

Cathay Pacific also good 1 stops SFO DPS

Orbitz good packages sometimes for me.

glover Jan 8th, 2011 04:44 AM

not united! Just did SFO to Singapore. Skinniest, hardest seats ever!

seeksocean Jan 8th, 2011 04:45 AM

Thanks, I already started hunting...it's before 6am in my neck of the woods. I can't seem to find a Korean Air departure date that doesn't include an extra day in Seoul. Cathay Pacific is another option. I wish I could afford biz class, but a zanax or two may have the same affect.

seeksocean Jan 8th, 2011 04:49 AM

PS. SAL had the best fare so far, but had negative reviews on long haul seat comfort issues. I had always heard that they were the best.

If I were more confident in EVA's relationship to Continental Airlines, with the merger and all...I would book their K class and get 100% miles on Continental and pay the extra. I really like EVA and they are pretty direct. I just think that it's taking chances that they will still give CO miles in November. Better to stick with One World or *A. I'll sure miss Evergreen Deluxe. What a great class of service that is!

seeksocean Jan 8th, 2011 04:51 AM

UA is bad for comfort unless you get their dedicated biz planes to the east coast. But...lets get back to my Bali pursuit :-)

filmwill Jan 8th, 2011 08:43 AM

I would echo rkkwan's sentiments. Thai is definitely the best and most comfortable choice in economy. Not sure why they wouldn't work--they fly to Bali. We actually flew to Denpasar in April on Thai through LAX and, while it's a long trip no matter how you cut it, it was a great experience.

You also might want to revisit Singapore Airlines, depending on when you're leaving. As of late March they are switching their flights (from LAX, unfortunately, not SFO) to the A380. From what I understand their new coach seats a bit more comfortable than the old 747 or 777 ones that they're using out of LAX and SFO respectively now.

Good luck!

seeksocean Jan 8th, 2011 09:30 AM

Thanks! The drive to SFO is 5 hours for me, so LAX doesn't make sense. It's never cheaper to drive 5 hours and then fly SFO-LAX-DPS. Plus, it makes the terminal change and layover situation extra work. I'll recheck Singapore, but I am liking those back of the plane seats on the Cathay pacific 747's. Thanks again for all your help, all!

JohnH Jan 8th, 2011 10:39 AM

SQ flights from SFO to Hong Kong are on the new 77ER and have the new economy seats.
But it's still not the 36" seat pitch that Thai has.