Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to travel in June 2025? South America, Europe, or Southeast Asia

Old Jun 16th, 2024, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the early stages of planning an approx. 14-day trip in June 2025. I will be traveling with a friend. We are both in our early 30s. We are both teachers and are limited to June/July travel due our school schedules. Im trying to determine where would be best to go that time of year.
We enjoy architecture, museums, food, outdoor scenery (mountains, lakes, forests, etc.), and hiking.
We are pretty active and move at a quick pace. Past trips together include Costa Rica, Slovenia/Croatia, and England.

We will probably focus on two countries. Some places we are considering:
  • South America - Peru (Amazon, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu), Columbia (Medellin, Bogota, Cartagena), Brazil (Rio De Janeiro, Iguazú Falls)
  • Europe - Ireland (Dublin, Cliffs Moher, scenic drives like Ring of Kerry) and Iceland (Ring road)
  • Southeast Asia - Vietnam (probably northern/central), Thailand (Chiang Mai, beaches), Singapore
If there is a better forum to post in for a question like this, let me know. Most seemed continent/country specific.

Thank you!
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 02:14 AM

Hi Gary, I am living in Vietnam and quite familiar with South East Asia. I may give you some suggestion for South Eas Asia: June is a good time to travel Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore when:
- Weather is less humid than May or April, a little bit raining some areas in Vietnam but it's not yet raining season, still good in Thailand and Singapore
- It's low season of inbount travel in these countries. so less expensive
- My suggsted itnerary is : Arrival in Hanoi (2 nites), Sapa (2nites), Halong (1 nites), Hoi An, Danang(2 nites), Chiang Mai (2 nites), Phuket (2 nites), Singapore (2 nites).

Hope it helps
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 10:04 AM

Hi Gary, unfortunately there is not really a suitable place to ask a question re visiting multiple locations on different continents. you could try asking versions of your question on different forums but better to do a little bit of your own research online to narrow things down a little and then com back to ask more specific questions.

I shall help s much as I can.

Firstly the itinerary in the the above post is so fast paced as to be unworkable. Every time you move location you will lose at least half a day, probably more. You would end up seeing very little except the inside of airports planes and buses. Weather inThailand in June is not the best either. Central Vietnam and east cost Malaysia should be good. personally , I would not visit central or northern Thailand at that time.

I live in Europe so it would be my first choice, but June would be a good time of year weatherise. It would however be the most expensive option by far.

South America would be my first choice.A good time for both Peru and Colombia. I have only visited Brazil briefly for Iguazu and a brief stop in Sao Paulo but have travelled extensively in Colombia and Peru. Love both countries but to visit both may be spreading your time too thinly. Two weeks in Peru would allow time to visit Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu plus either the Amazon or Arequipa and Colca Canyon. It is easy to travel around and would be ideal for a first time visit to the continent. Columbia is a bit more challenging to navigate but still doable with a bit of effort. Again , I would advise limiting the number of destinations in Colombia , perhaps the two major cities of Bogota and Medellin with some trips out to some of the smaller town and villages surrounding those cities. Here is a link to our blog of our own travels which may provide some ideas https://accidentalnomads.com just click on the destination tab for whatever country and go from there.

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 01:22 AM

I would visit one country only. Vietnam is sensational. In 14 days, If two, lot of time lost in transport. If 2 I would combine 9-10 days in the supernb north of Vietnam north (Hanoi, Halong, Sapa) ending in TAM COC (famous hotel Chez Loan) and then night train NINH BINH-Hue, 3 days Huê and then day train Hue-DANANG + taxi 34 km Danang-Hoi An

In Sapa, I recommend the excellent trekking organized by the French trekker Olivier ; his Dao wife is the guide and you stay in their remote authentic Dao house
[email protected]

I you insist in two countries, which I do not recommend at all, then north of Vietnam only ending in Dien Bien Phu, (direct bus Sapa-DBP) and then bus DBP-LUANG PRABANG (VERY charming) and around
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 11:56 PM
LYC

I cannot speak about South America and Europe, so this reply will be about SEA. You seemed pretty adventurous, and I am going to presume you will get yourself informed about the countries you wish to visit for the very 1st time. I would suggest skipping Singapore altogether, but you could try to look more into:

1. 3 days at Ho Chi Minh city (3 days) / Hanoi and Ha Long Bay (mind you, Vietnam can get uncomfortably hot in June). As an Asian myself who had visited 5X, I despise the weather in Vietnam in June as even the wind can get dusty. Love the kind masseuse though.

2. 3 days in Chiang Mai (cooler), but re-consider about Phuket in June due to rainy season. The flight from Chiang Mai to the capital city, Bangkok, could easily take half a day, so I am not sure if it is worth going to Bangkok just for some cultural experience. Chiang Mai, like many parts in Thailand, has many, many temples that you could walk into and visit already.

3. For beautiful beaches in June-August, check out Malaysia because it has beautiful beaches such as Perhentian Island (also known as Pulau Perhentian), Laguna Redang, Rawa Island, and Mabul Island. There are many videos about beaches in YouTube. You can easily spend 3-4 days at either beach. Do bear in mind that you will need to consider boat rides to go to these islands.

4. Consider ending your trip at Kuala Lumpur city, Malaysia after your beach trip. You can spend another 3-4 days just in the city and eat a wide array of food - Chinese Chicken rice, Chinese Char Kuey Teow, Hokkien Mee, Chicken/Beef satay, Nasi Lemak, Assam Laksa, Mee Goreng Mamak, Bak Kut Teh (non-halal/pork), Nasi Kandar, Roti Canai, Murtabak, Lontong, Claypot Chicken Rice, Ipoh Coffee - all just in the city itself, and there is a super long street food in Jalan Connaught, Cheras every Wednesday evening. The capital city itself may surprise many!

All the best in your itinerary!

Last edited by LYC; Jun 26th, 2024 at 12:27 AM. Reason: forgot to include a thought
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 01:00 AM

can get uncomfortably hot in June

ON THE CONTRARY, it is the best month to visit Vietnam together with April
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 06:16 PM
LYC

Originally Posted by Larsay
can get uncomfortably hot in June

ON THE CONTRARY, it is the best month to visit Vietnam together with April

Good for you that you enjoyed it, cos I certainly don't, unfortunately.