Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to teach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-teach-201099/)

Justin Apr 16th, 2002 03:19 PM

Where to teach?

I plan on moving to Asia and teaching ESL, probably within a year. Planning on staying anywhere between six months and two years. I've been considering Seoul, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, somewhere outside of Bangkok, Shanghai- basically everywhere. I'm 23 and like to have a good time. I am considering teaching young kids, but also business English to execs. Finding the job will not be a problem. Any advice will be greatly apppreciated. Where would you go if you were in my shoes? Thanks

Been There Apr 16th, 2002 05:36 PM

You won't have any trouble finding a job? Really? You have obviously never done this before. While it may be somewhat easy to find some sort of ESL job in Asia, finding a DESIRABLE one is a challege. What are your credentials, Justin? Or are you just in for trouble?

Jen Apr 16th, 2002 06:16 PM

I'd skip KL. The pay is pathetic for English teachers, unless you have teaching credentials (and I'm not talking about just an TESL certificate).<BR><BR>I have a friend teaching in Taiwan (American Montessori School in Hsinchu) and she's making some decent coin (again, she has more than TESL cert). LITTLE kids though, so I think most of the time it's just discipline. <BR><BR>I've heard there's good money in Korea, but it's really hard to find a decent employer who won't try to screw you over. <BR><BR>Good luck. Try Dave's ESL Cafe online for ideas and job postings.

Justin Apr 17th, 2002 09:23 AM

Thanks for the response Jen. To Been There, I have a few pretty powerful family friends in Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul and Bangkok who assured me it won't be any problem finding good work. I'm just looking for the place where I will have the best time all around time. This includes nightlife, weather, easy place to travel from etc.

Margo Apr 17th, 2002 01:10 PM

An expat teachers salary in any of these places will not give you much to 'have a good time', the pay in most places is 'get by' money, and be prepared to give up a lot of things that you would spend money on at home. Long hours, low pay. If you want the experience then by all means go for it but remember money will be tight, I know of many who work very long hours but don't mind as they are devoted to teaching. I'd probably go for Taipei actually. Pay in Thailand is very very low.

Justin Apr 17th, 2002 01:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. In the future please just focus on the locations. I have plenty of money to live on and have some very good contacts that will be able to find me work teaching English to Business execs. in basically any large Asian city. Also, these jobs are usually no more than 30 hours per week. I'm just looking for feedback on fun cities to live in or around and are convenient to travel from. Thanks for your time.

Sebastian Apr 17th, 2002 01:27 PM

If you're planning to "have fun", why don't you try Hong Kong? It is, in my opinion, the most vibrant city in Asia. I'm sure tthat here will be lots of job opportunities in Hong Kong (especially for ESL teachers) and the pay should be quite decent compared to jobs offered in other Asian cities. Hong Kong has super transportation system and awesome nightlife. It's my favorite city!

Pooh boy Apr 17th, 2002 04:02 PM

Sorry Justin, I can't be of any help. The entire time I was in Asia (2 months) I had relentless diarrhea. I didn't enjoy myself anywhere. Sounds like you should have a great time.

mom Apr 17th, 2002 04:15 PM

My son got his job through Daves ESL Cafe and he has been with the school now ,teaching kindergarden, right outside of Tokyo for 2 years now.he loves it and makes very good money.

Steve Apr 18th, 2002 06:34 PM

i dunno i would go with Shanghai, one its a pretty cosmopolitan city, two cheap cost of living, lots of jobs<BR><BR>i did a year ago for like 5 months and loved it i taught high school kids and had an awesome time............it was great and Shanghai has a great night life so...... hope this helped

beth anderson May 2nd, 2002 11:03 AM

I understand AEON is hiring English Instructors in Japan..<BR><BR>www.aeonet.com<BR><BR>(you didn't mention Japan but thought this might help?)<BR><BR>Beth<BR>