Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to stay in Tokyo--convenient? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-stay-in-tokyo-convenient-436632/)

JC98 May 28th, 2004 02:44 PM

Where to stay in Tokyo--convenient?

Hi,

I have 3 nights in Tokyo. What's a convenient and happening area to stay in? I want something moderately priced.

How is Shinagawa or Asakusa?

Please recommend any lodgings or websites.

It looks like a lot of folks on this forum are out vacationing, as I don't see too much activities here. :)

Thanks!
JC

oslotraveler May 28th, 2004 03:24 PM

Both Shinagawa and Asakusa are very convenient. I strongly recommend Toyoko Inn, which has more than 90 properties all over in Japan, including some near Shinagawa and Asakusa in downtown Tokyo. The rate is around US$60-65/night, including simple breakfast and complimentary broadband internet connection. The rooms are tiny but very clean and comfortable. The only negative thing is that it is difficult to get a room due to high occupancy rates.

Airlawgirl May 28th, 2004 03:33 PM

Well, I'm not vacationing- too much stuff going on for me to do that! I recommend Asakusa for a 3 day stay- it may not surprise you to know that I took my own advice and just returned from a 3 day stay in Tokyo/Asakusa at the Ryokan Shigetsu-I HIGHLY recommend this area, and the Ryokan, which is just off the Nakamise-Dori, the street of wonderful Japanese shops leading to Tokyo's largest Buddhist temple-Sensoji. The entrance to Nakamise-dori and Sensoji is marked by one of Tokyo's best known sites- Kaminarimon-or Thunder God gate (my mouse pad sitting next to me shows Kaminarimon and the giant lantern with demons on either side of the gate). Kaminarimon is probably Tokyo's most photographed site. I cannot tell you how serene it is to be within the grounds of Sensoji at night-Ryokan Shigetsu is located just about 100 meters from Nakamise, and is actually considered to be within the grounds of Sensoji. I was walking at midnight over the bridge in the side gardens to the temple-looking up at the magnificent pagoda to the side of the main temple, and then a temple guard came up behind me and turned on his flashlight so I could better see the koi swimming underneath the bridge. (koi are endowned with magical powers in Japanese mythology- my favorite book as a child was of Japanese fairy tales). You truely get a sense of old Edo in this serene part of the city (yes, it really IS serene here). And all the traditional Japanese handicrafts you could possibly want to buy are on Nakamise- it's so much fun to try the fresh rice crackers for 50 yen a pop. Asakusa is very easy to reach from NRT- jump on the privately owned Keisei skyliner- (no credit cards, natch!) you'll be in Ueno in around 55 minutes, then transfer immediately to the Ginza subway line, go 4 stops, and voila! Asakusa (pronounced a SAK sa, btw). I promise, it's the best way to get a sense of Tokyo when you have a limited amount of time, and you can always jump on that Ginza line to go to the hopping nightlife of Shibuya/Shinjuku and then come back to enjoy the peace and quiet of Asakusa!

JC98 May 28th, 2004 09:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My husband bidded for a hotel on priceline and got one in Ikebukuro -- Crowne Plaza Metropolitan Hotel. Anybody has ever stayed in Ikebukuro? It's not on any tourist track. Is it a good area? Convenient to get to other areas?

Priceline labeled the hotel as in Shinjuku, but it's actually in Ikebukuro. Not sure we should dispute this w/ Priceline or stick w/ it.

JC

oslotraveler May 29th, 2004 05:55 PM

JC, Ikebukura is a bit off major tourist attractions in Tokyo, but no problem if you stay at the Cronw Plaza. The hotel is just a few minut walk to the Ikeburoku station from which you can explore any part of Tokyo by subway. Also, there should be a direct airport limousine bus to the hotel, which is a big plus.

cliff May 30th, 2004 09:06 AM

I just came back from japan and stayed at the shinagawa prince hotel (new tower) great location. Price around $140-$150 .