Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to Stay in Phuket - April 2011 (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-stay-in-phuket-april-2011-a-874976/)

VinceSF Jan 24th, 2011 11:41 AM

Where to Stay in Phuket - April 2011

I am going to be in Phuket from April 22 to April 27th and would love to find a great beachfront hotel that is close enough to Patong night life but far away enough to sleep peacefully and enjoy the beach during the day. I hear Patong is over crowded and mobbed with tourists, we like some activity but not over kill. We like clean water, some quiet time every now and then and good food. For example we typically prefer Playa Del Carmen versus Cancun. Many have suggested Kata Noi but we want to still be able to go out and enjoy night life. Not a huge fan of big resort complexes but definitely want to be on the beach. Any suggestions? There are 4 of us adults traveling.

BradinBangkok Jan 24th, 2011 12:13 PM

Heading south from Patong are Karon, Kata, and Kata Noi beaches. All have beach hotels and all have motorbike rentals for about $5 a day (150 Baht.)

I like the Katathani on Kata Noi and the Boathouse on Kata. Both are about 15 minutes to Patong by motorbike. The motorbikes have auto transmissions and are easy to ride.

If you don't like motorbikes, you can get around cheap in the tsongtaos that are driving up & down the beaches.

VinceSF Jan 24th, 2011 12:30 PM

Have you been to Pansea beach? I saw mixed reviews about the Katathani which is what I was going to book until I read the hotel was in dire need of an upgrade. This hotel is on the beach though right? I'll check out Boathouse, Thanks

rhkkmk Jan 24th, 2011 06:35 PM

check out le meridien as well---nice beach

shanek Jan 24th, 2011 06:53 PM

The Beachfront at Le Meridian is absolutely sensational and semi private. It is in a small bay that is relatively protected from the monsoon swells, however this is not really an issue in April anyway.

It is a fairly long walk to Patong, but it can be done and the only downside is that there is very little directly next to the Hotel. It will cost you far less to commute from there to Patong than from Kata.

The thing with staying at Kata is that you dont really have to commute anywhere, plenty of restaraunts and bars within walking distance, unless you want nightclubs. The Beach at Kata Noi is also very nice, just a little more open and public, but still very peaceful.

VinceSF Jan 25th, 2011 09:26 AM

I have read some very mixed reviews about Katathani Resort. Does anyone know of any condos or properties we can rent that are beach front in Kata area? Also any insight on Indigo Pearl or Boomerang Villas? I tried to book a room at Mom Tri's Boathouse but they are all booked up :( We really want something beach front to enjoy some sun and sand!

simpsonc510 Jan 25th, 2011 10:50 AM

Kata Beach does, indeed, have restaurants, shopping, bars, you name it, right along the beach road, which would be right outside the front door of whatever resort you select. No need to commute.

Kata Noi Beach (Katathani Resort) has less activity right outside the door. You would probably want to be shuttled to Kata Beach.

I'm sorry you could not get in Mom Tri's. It's a great place (with one of the best restaurants on Phuket) and in a really nice location. Mom Tri's Villa Royale is also exceptional, but a lot more $$$$$. And another exceptional restaurant.

Someone here mentioned Indigo Pearl. That name rings a bell. Maybe whomever stayed there will post a report.

Good luck to you.

shanek Jan 25th, 2011 10:53 PM

We stayed at the Kata Beach Resort and it was just perfect for us. Plenty of activity nearby, withing staggering distance. It is not 5 star, or even 4 for that matter but the better rooms are large, clean and comfortable with great sea views and only steps from a beutiful beach.

The Kata Thani would be more luxurious, but the walk to the main part of Kata is quite steep, so, as Carol mentioned, some short taxi trips or a motorbike may be practical but not entirely necessary.

I can't see why anyone would complain about the Kata Thani. It is an excellent property in an absolutely idyllic location where you are not entirely reliant on the Resort. All things considered, if you cant get in at The Boathouse, the Kata Thani is your next best option.

simpsonc510 Jan 26th, 2011 04:47 AM

I agree about Kata Thani. I would go back there in a heartbeat. Lovely! (but you need to taxi/shuttle/or bike to Kata for 'entertainment')
Carol

VinceSF Jan 26th, 2011 10:06 AM

Ok, if one had to decide between Le Meridien at the end of Patong and Mom Tri's Boathouse which would you decide on. Let me add that this is for me and my partner of 21 years. We are a gay couple and do like to go out when the urge is there but also like to relax on the beach and read a book while soaking up the sun. The Meridien looks nice but not sure if Kata would be better to get the best of both worlds. How long and expensive would it be to make Kata home base and then take a taxi in to Patong if we wanted to catch a ladyboy show or does it make more sense to stay closer? I am so conflicted because I see benefits of both. We just want something nice. It's hard when there are so many mixed reviews. Argh! Can anyone help me decide? Any gay travelers out there that can weigh in?

simpsonc510 Jan 26th, 2011 02:59 PM

I'd pick Mom Tri's. It isn't that far to Patong. I would usually take a taxi to Patong at least once during a stay at Mom Tri's, just because Patong has so much more 'activity' than Kata Beach. I really think you would like being able to walk out the door of the Boathouse and find dining/shopping right there. If you opt for Le Meridien, you must take some sort of transportation to find other restaurants/shopping as the resort is on its own more private beach, and there really isn't much of anything right outside the door! Boathouse would be my choice.

shanek Jan 26th, 2011 03:51 PM

Boathouse had a far more "Boutique" feel to it than Le Meridien which is a large "Resort". Le Meridien caters for large corporate groups for conferences and is likely to have many families staying there whilst the Boathouse caters more to couples.

How often do you feel that you would commute to Patong? If it is once every 2 days, stay in Kata. If it is likely to be twice a day, then Le Meridian would be more convienient. Apart from the elaborate Simon Cabaret and nightclubs, Kata will cater to your needs as well as Patong would.

jcasale Jan 26th, 2011 06:09 PM

We stayed off season at the Kata Beach Resort (late June 2009) and had a fabulous room for about $100. It felt like a little oasis and then when we wanted to go out and about there were a lot of restaurants close by (plus a guy across the street who made FABULOUS little crepe like things with filling - the chocolate was the best!). We loved it and would go back in a minute. The only time we went to Patong was for the Simon Cabaret. Otherwise we were quite content where we were.

VinceSF Jan 28th, 2011 06:32 AM

Thanks everyone. We are traveling with a group and the group actually has voted to stay closer to Patong. We plan to take many daily excursions so at least we won't feel like we are trapped in Patong! Now we just need to find a hotel that is at least not close to the main activity and quiet at night

JamesA Feb 10th, 2011 11:19 PM

As said on the other post it makes absolutely no difference for tours and trips whether you are in Patong, Kata, Karon.
I guess it depends on the people in your group. I think Patong will make Cancun seem like Playa del Carmen !
If you need to stay nearby try Le Meridien as great beach.