Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

where to stay in kanyakumari? & south india driving distances?

May 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

hi everyone! we're looking WAY ahead to an india trip next year. we'd like to do sunrise in kanyakumari, and wondering where to stay. my guidebooks only list resorts around kovalam, etc. am i right that this would be too far away to drive to kanyakumari at dawn?

while i'm at it, looking for some idea of drive times. for example:

mysore to alleppey (approx. 6.5 hours)?
alleppey to kanyakumari?
kanyakumari to madurai (approx 4 hours)?

thanks so much!
May 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Alleppey to Kanyakumari--I assume you are taking the coast road all the way? You'd want to make some stops, for sure! Dont do that all in one day. y\You might want to consider the boat from Alleppey, heading south, part of the way. But...I'm probably getting ahead of your plans!

You're right--there is little that is convenient for getting up early to see the sunrise (I checked last yr, but ultimately didnt go that far South.)

For a convenient place to beach, so you dont have to get up too early to see the sunrise: My first choice would be Hotel Tamil Nadu (the one in Kanyakumari) which is owned and operated by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Dept.

Other basic hotels for an overnight stay include New Cape Hotel and Sea View Hotel.
May 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

awesome! thank you! actually, i believe our houseboat goes from alleppey to quilon, so i guess technically we'd be looking at drive time from quilon to kanyakumari.
May 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Yes, boat to Quilon is what i was thinking of. After Quilon you can stop at the beaches as you head south toward Trivandrum.

If you've not already done so, check the Indiamike travel forum website. It's 100% about India, much from people who either live there or have visited many times. Sometimes you can find very specific driving recommendations, even for little tea cafes along the way, etc
Recommendations tend to be differently focused than on this site, which seems more oriented toward the higher priced ways to go. Not sure of your budget, but for me, hotels that are three, four, five and more hundred dollars night are out of the question.
May 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice! i will definitely check that out. we're pretty much doing the low budget backpacker tour! lol! (we're in our early 30s, and like to be on the go constantly). so any idea on drive time from quilon to kanyakumari? thanks again!
May 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM

We stayed at the government of India hotel for 800 rupees per night (at the time, $20). Cold water! but otherwise acceptable.
May 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Quilon to Kanyakumari is a directly down highway 47. Checked Google map directions which give 2 hours as drive time. BUT take that with a major grain of salt.
You dont say where you're from--wherever it is, highways in INdia may not be as you expect. Are you considering driving yourself? VERY dicey.
Luckliy there are busses and hire-cars that go along that route frequently.
Definitely check Indiamike.com for travel ideas, since you're doing it backpacker-budget style.

You're smart to start planning now. You'll love South India.
May 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM

can you check(Singaar International, www.hotelsingaarinternation.in, $81, double), and I expect this is one of the nicest, if the THE nicest hotel in town
we drive from alleppey to Kovalam 3hrs
alleppey to kanyakumari is approx 6hrs drive the road is very good
Thanks
Ramesh Meena
May 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! cali...i'm from upstate new york, but my travel partner/best friend is from india, so he knows how crazy the roads can be. we will definitely be hiring cars and drivers.

ram...any idea on driving time mysore to alleppey and kanyakumari to madurai? thanks again!