Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to stay in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-stay-in-bangkok-644240/)

JennyP Sep 4th, 2006 03:05 PM

Where to stay in Bangkok

Hi Everyone,

I"m looking for a hotel in Bangkok for November but there are so many to choose from. Which area is a convenient area to stay at (in terms of entertainment, food, sight seeing, transportation). We were hoping to spend no more than $150 a room (if possible) and at least 4 stars or is that asking for too much? I've checked the Marriot Resort website and I think its beautiful but wanted to see what other options were out there.

Kathie Sep 4th, 2006 04:20 PM

I believe the best area to stay in is along the river. Your 4 and 5 star choices are: (5 star) The Pen, the Oriental, The Shangri-La, the Hilton Millenium and the Sheraton Royal Orchid and (4 star) the Marriott Resort and Spa. The river area is convenient for transport (the water taxi to the Grand Palace and nearby Wats, the Skytrain from Taksim) and there are anumber of excellent restaurants in the area. I've been going to Bangkok for over 20 years and I always stay along the river.

tweety817 Sep 4th, 2006 04:37 PM

I agree with Kathie. The River is a good choice. The hotels provide free shuttle boat (converted rice barge) to the Taksin skytrain. Look into Menam Riverside Hotel. I just returned from there 2 weeks ago. It was lovely and only $47 for a double through Asiarooms.com The website may say that the pool is under renovation but the renovation was completed ahead of schedule.

Craig Sep 4th, 2006 04:38 PM

It depends on how long you are staying but the Marriott is a favorite on this board, especially if a river location and value are what you want. And, for a first-timer, I would recommend staying on the river. There are many other options in the central shopping/Sukhumvit areas where the shopping and restaurants are most concentrated - we stayed at the Plaza Athenee recently which is within your budget and which I would recommend. For just a few days though, you can find plenty of shopping and restaurants to occupy your limited amount of time that are accessible from the Marriott.

SueHuml Sep 4th, 2006 05:46 PM

Craig always has good advice. I too, recommend the Mariott Hotel and Spa on the River, nice location, has a good feel of BKK about it. It is worth paying the bit extra for the river view rooms. The free boat ride to the train station is nice, no hassle at all, actually a really nice part of the experience.

For under your $150 you will be able to get this reservation through some of the websites listed here often. What is really great the prices for most include the 17% tax and,breakfast for two, and it is a spledid breakfast.

Today I just got a 1/3 better deal than trying direct with the hotel through Asiarooms.com Many here also recommend Sawadee.com and I know Craig has a few other sites to mention.

Jenny you will have a wonderful time in Bangkok.
Sue

rhkkmk Sep 4th, 2006 07:18 PM

we love the marriott and will stay there 18 nites over 5 weeks this fall....

there are many other locations as well, none of them is perfect...

the marriott is a bit of an oasis...

i just booked there for nov 7 for $136 complete including breakfast from asia rooms.....i prefer the www.huahin.20m.com site but their fall rates will not be posted for a bit...they have told me september???

the majestic grande on sukhumvit soi 2 is a good alternative....the holiday inn bangkok on plenochit (not on silom) is also a good bet and newly redone....the landmark on sukhumvit might be in your price range....there are many under $150 if you buy from the discount sites...

Bonita Sep 4th, 2006 07:32 PM

hello!
There are sooo many areas to stay in Bangkok, but for a first time visit to the city, i would definately suggest as others have mentioned to stay near/alongside the river!!!

Nothing beats staying on the river!

This way, u can really feel/soak up and the magic of the city. When u stay near/on the river, u are somewhat transported to another world and really feel in the thick of things too, in the heart of Bangkok!

Plus, it is beautiful, romantic and u can easily get around to the famous sites, by river..

U can look at the Marriot resort and spa, the HIlton, The Royal Orchid Sheraton, the ShangriLa to name a few in the more moderate price range!

I often stay at the Centrepoint Silom. These are serviced apartments by/near the river too..They are very nice, but i wld probably go for a Hotel if it is only for a few nights..

DEfinately check out Asiarooms.com and/or sawadee.com for discounts.

Sawadeeka and happy travels.

gard Sep 4th, 2006 09:19 PM

Hi

I have stayed on Sukhumwit road and I think that has been pretty convinient. Make sure that you get close to a skytrain or subway station so that you can get around. We stayed at Rembrandt hotel the last time we went to Bangkok in 2002. I have posted a bit more info in my trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

JennyP Sep 5th, 2006 08:31 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions!! I think we'll definitely try and get a room at the Marriot Resort.

I was at the asiaroom webiste and it lists the prices for single and double rooms. Is the single for one person? I will be in Bangkok with my husband, so do we fall under the category of double?

I think I ran into a similar question like this in Italy but I forgot what the difference was.

Again, your help is very appreciated.

Kathie Sep 5th, 2006 08:57 AM

A single room is for one person, a double for two people.

Guenmai Sep 5th, 2006 11:58 AM

Majestic Grande is good. I was just there last week getting the show of the place. However go for a room at least 40 square meters big. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Sep 5th, 2006 06:41 PM

even though you ask for a single, it will be a double bed at least or two twin beds, not just one bed for one person...

your category is double however....at marriott it will be a huge king bed

Lorig Sep 6th, 2006 01:13 PM

I think for the money and convience nothing beats pathumwan princess www.pprincess.com it is a modern hotel attached to a older shopping center. The advantage is that you can walk through the shopping center and hop on the sky train which is a fab and cheap way to get around. We are going for the 4th time to Bangkok in Feb. and we will be staying there!