Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to stay ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-stay-467360/)

Lesg Aug 16th, 2004 01:03 AM

Where to stay ?

I'm going to Bangkok in January,my first visit and I'm unsure about the best area to stay.I'd like a quiet area but within a reasonable distance to the sights and shopping.
At the moment I'm looking at the Shangri-la, Oriental or Royal Orchid in the river area and the Conrad in the business area.

If anybody has any other options, feel free to spill the beans.

glorialf Aug 16th, 2004 05:13 AM

First, I would definitely stay on the River. I have stayed at the Oriental 18 times in the last 20 years and have had only had perfect and fabulous and wonderful and warm experiences. I would never stay anywhere else. There are several staff members who have been there since my first trip and I feel like I'm coming home when I get there.

That said, many on this forum prefer the Peninsula, Shangrila or Royal Orchid. They are all deluxe and I am sure you would not go wrong at any of them. Personally, I find the Shangrila too large and impersonal. If you're not at the Oriental I would try the Peninsula or Tower of the Royal Orchid.
But if you want a very special treat, go for the Oriental. I think the warmth of the staff and the intimate nature of the hotel (they don't take large tour groups) make it a wonderful home away from home.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2004 07:22 AM

I absolutely agree with Gloria, stay on the river. It will make all the difference in your experience of Bangkok. Everyone has their favorite hotel on the River. I've been staying in the Towers at the Royal Orchid for some 20 years. I like having the extra amenities (full breakfast, cocktails and canapes each evening and six pieces of free laundry per day per person) included in the room price.

rhkkmk Aug 16th, 2004 08:21 AM

and of course i have to chime in that we prefer the marriott resort and spa with the peninsula being a close second...
we have now stayed at all of the major hotels on the river except the oriental...
overall we prefer the marriott for a number of reasons: #1 is that the pool area is simply the best in bangkok, the staff are very friendly and efficient, there are good restaurants in the hotel (most all have that however), we love the boat ride {15 minutes to the skytrain}, the mini mall provides lots of good services, i get marriott miles; the price is the least of any of the major hotels, the rooms are ALL newly refurbrished.....

the penn is lovely...the pool is not to our liking however...the setting is nice but its layout with 3 seperate areas is not inviting...the rooms are the best in bangkok---hi tech....every room has a river view....the restaurants are all excellent...it does cost more than all but the oriental (no bargains there)....

we did not like the sheraton really and would not return there....had a bad experience with paint fumes...hotel seemed old and not really thai...we were not in the towers rooms but did have a suite...they do have a nice pool on the grounds of the portugese embassy however...

we stayed twice this year at the shangri-la and enjoyed it...it is very large and grande....you can often get it on priceline for $55-65....

look at this hotel web-site: all inclusive including breakfast, taxes and service

www.huahin.20m.com

Walter_Walltotti Aug 16th, 2004 10:03 AM

The Krungthep wing at the Shangri La hotel gets my vote. There are only about 180 rooms it is in a totally separate wing from the main hotel (which is excellent to) and effectively operates as a separate hotel (seperate lobby, check in, own pool, lounge etc) - One big plus - all the rooms have balcony's overlooking the river. It is also next to the metro station. People have said in the past that it can be noisier because of its proximity to the main road bridge - but i've never found it a problem.

Walter_Walltotti Aug 16th, 2004 10:06 AM

I have stayed at the Peninsula on the opposite side of the river, that is excellent to - the rooms are fantastic -just find the service a bit stiffer and less friendly than at the Shangri La.

Stayed at the Sheraton (but not in the towers)about 10 years ago - it was okay - the bedrooms were nothing special and the hotel was a bit mobbed with passengers awaiting a cruise.

rhkkmk Aug 16th, 2004 10:12 AM

you would like any of the major hotels on the river...we all have our favorites and push for them...each one is completely diferent from the next...lots of us like to move from one to the other...

by the way the pool at the sh-la at the K wing was totally closed in june for restoration...

as far as balconies are concerned, i do not find them all that much of an advantage as it is so hot that you probably would never sit out on them...it is fun to pop out to observe the river traffic but that is about all...imho....some don't even have seats or chairs on them....

Gpanda Aug 16th, 2004 03:44 PM

In your post, you asked about area. Without a doubt, stay on the river. The ability to hop on the river ferry is very freeing. (The Peninsula and Marriott require a ferry to the ferry). Also, looking out from your room to see the river come alive in the morning is one of the treats of BKK. You can also access the skytrain easily. RIVER,RIVER, RIVER.

Lesg Aug 17th, 2004 12:44 AM

Thanks for all the help. From all the messages it look's like it's going to be on the river...

orgy7 Aug 17th, 2004 04:23 AM

"big up" too my in town hotels.

01pat23 Aug 21st, 2004 04:42 PM

I think the Towers, Royal Orchid Sheraton has the best location on the river. Not stayed in the Oriental but food there is very good. Very nice pool in the Sheriton in the Portugese garden.

Pat

rhkkmk Aug 21st, 2004 06:35 PM

pat's comment may be slightly misleading....i cannot see that the sheraton has any better location than does the oriental or the shangri-la...they are all in a row...each has its plusses....

the penn and the marriott are on the other side of the river so some consider this a negetive....i find it a positive...

Kathie Aug 21st, 2004 07:19 PM

Bob, I think Pat is referring to the loaction of the Royal Orchid being right next door to River City. I have to admit I consider that to be an advantage!

rhkkmk Aug 22nd, 2004 07:01 AM

kathie---i did wonder about that but thought i wanted the person not to be mislead, possibly, by the feeling that the ros was in a different location from the other two when they are right in a row, albeit a broken row....
i view the 3 as having similar locations..

are you wearing long pants today?

Kathie Aug 22nd, 2004 11:38 AM

I certainly am. It's raining and cool here in Seattle.

By the way, the long somewhat acrimonious thread about what to wear in Bangkok doen't even show a reply option right now. I wonder if Fodors has turned it off.

rhkkmk Aug 22nd, 2004 06:38 PM

GPANDA ASKED ME THE SAME THING IN A PRIVATE E-MAIL??? sorry for caps...

it was so stupid, but i just had to keep it going... i know we are right...but i also see how others feel and i have seen them around bkk...

Kathie Aug 22nd, 2004 07:59 PM

Bob, I'm a little miffed that no one got my joke - the OP asked if he only wore shorts and sandals would he stick out like a sore thumb. I even repeated his words and no one got it - I think he should at least wear a shirt! I have this image of a six foot farang wearing only shorts and sandals, bewildered about why they won't let him into the Grand Palace or seat him at a fancy restaurant. I thought the OP and others could laugh, but apparently we hit a sore spot.