Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to see Thai Traditional Dancers (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-see-thai-traditional-dancers-726814/)

Adriatx1 Aug 6th, 2007 12:01 PM

Where to see Thai Traditional Dancers

In November, I am visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Bangkok and Phuket. I am especially interested in seeing traditional Thai dancers while I am there. Could anyone recommend some good places to go? Any details you can provide would also be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
PS I did do a search and didn't find much.

Craig Aug 6th, 2007 01:23 PM

Sala Rim Nam, an Oriental Hotel restaurant, is generally recognized as a good place for a nice dinner show. I will warn you that the food is mediocre but not terrible. We did this on our first trip to Thailand and felt it was worthwhile. The restaurant is located on the side of the river opposite the hotel - the hotel provides a boat to get there.

simpsonc510 Aug 6th, 2007 01:30 PM

Some of the river dinner cruises also have traditional dancing. One I recall is from the River Center mall, close to the Royal Orchid Sheraton hotel. The food isn't anything special, but seeing the dancers in their costumes, as well as the river sights after dark, is quite nice.

Kathie Aug 6th, 2007 01:33 PM

Carol is referring to the River City Mall next to the Royal Orchid...

The Oriental used to have Thai dancing daily in the afternoon on a patio between the hotel and the river. I remember sitting and watching this informal (free) show more than once, but I don't know if it is still done.

OJudy Aug 6th, 2007 02:29 PM

The Erawan Shrine, next to the Grand Hyatt Hotel on a very bustling street corner in Bangkok, has a small group of traditional dancers and musicians performing every evening. The shrine is jam packed with worshippers, garlands of brightly colored flowers, smokey incense, and assorted offerings to Brahma and Erawan. There is no admission fee, and I found it very interesting to sit on a bench and observe authentic Thai culture, as opposed to a staged tourist performance.

KMLoke Aug 6th, 2007 02:29 PM

If you do visit the Four Face Buddha at the junction, diagonally across Central World Plaza, you may be able to see some Thai dancers. These are paid performances by devotees as thanksgiving.

Kathie Aug 6th, 2007 03:39 PM

OJudy is so right - the Erawan Shrine is a favorite of mine. Do watch the dancers and the people and give an offering yourself.

Cilla_Tey Aug 6th, 2007 05:33 PM

I second Sala Rim Naam for the set dinner and dance. I found the food quite good. The costumes are dazzling. Not cheap but worth it.

Guenmai Aug 6th, 2007 07:00 PM

I would just go to the outdoor Erawan Shrine at Chitlom skytrain station and directly across from Gaysorn Shopping Mall. You can view them from the skytrain walkway which gives you a great view and photo-taking point. Then you won't have people standing in front of you in your photos. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Aug 6th, 2007 07:28 PM

my wife loved sala rim....it was one of the worst evenings of my life....