Where to go in Asia? Recommendations?

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in Asia? Recommendations?

Hi,

We have 2.5 weeks from Thanksgiving through Early December to go to Asia. So far we know:

a) we have to spend 7 days in japan (divided between kyoto and tokyo) for a wedding at the beginning of our trip.

b) we want to spend 3 - 4 days in beijing, passing through either in the middle or end of the trip, since our friend lives there.

c) were thinking of spending the remainder of the trip in bali, but heard it's rainy.

Aside from Japan, we're flexible. And honestly, i was thinking bali b/c we don't have to fly around too much (i.e. we would with vietnam) and it's a nice combination of beach and culture. But if it's going to be rainy, then the beach may not be very much fun. Does anyone have any other ideas? It's my one big trip of the year - i've done the thai islands, nice, but overly travelled i felt. been to cambodia, loved it. been to south of vietnam, amazing.

any thoughts much appreciated
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM
kja

Have you considered spending longer in Japan?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

been there about 4 times and was hoping for someplace warm....
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Warm in early December... anyplace that is warm will be a long flight away. How about Thailand? It's about 6-7 hours from Narita to Bangkok. Certainly less than to Bali, but still a long flight. If you only have a week, you could choose one city in VN (I'd recommend Hanoi) and spend your time there or on day-trips. Really, with a week, you only want one location.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM

PS I've been to Bali three times during "rainy season" and it didn't interfere with my enjoyment. Heavy rains or thunderstorms at night or late afternoon, but sunny and hot the rest of the time. If you have your heart set on Bali do it. It's a long flight from Japan!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

ok that's good to know thank you so much!!! I really want to do northern vietnam too, but thought that if i had 8 days, that bali would be a nice break. I've heard mixed things about rain interfering vs. not...So maybe Hanoi and halong bay are good too

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM

its a long ride to bali from japan---a whole day really....

bangkok would be wonderful, but you really do not have all that much time to be going to 3 totally different places
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM

I'd go to Bali in a heartbeat. Rainy season is lovely,..green and lush. Rain is always unpredictable, but we found that when we were there in Dec/Jan rain was more often at night or late afternoon, and was lovely to listen to and watch. The green was most impressive..we are finding the same green now in northern Thailand...where it is pouring down now...we got drenched on the elephants, but it was fun anyway.

Bali is a 7 hour flight from Narita, Bangkok is 6 1/2 hours, Singapore is 7 hours as well. No matter where you go, flight time from Japan is significant.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM

If you want to save some money then go to Thailand. Hotels are reasonably priced, transportation is efficient and cheap.

Thailand is "tourist friendly" and it is easy to sign up for tours or to get around town.

Hotels are up to you, air conditioned hotel rooms start around 600 baht. This includes hot water and private toilet/shower. Of course if you think it is necessary you can shell out 6000 baht per night for hotel rooms too!

Something in the 1500 baht 2000 baht price range will not be too bad. I would choose a hotel that is near the Skytrain so that you can use that cheap and easy way to get around town.

The "rainy season" in Thailand or Bali is not that big a deal. Yes it rains, some low areas may flood a little until the drains handle the deluge. So, get a room on the second floor. Rain usually does not fall all day long, there is plenty of sunshine for tans and sunburns. Rain usually stops falling in an hour or two and often it falls at night.

Meter taxi cab rides available from the airport or if you arrive during the day there also an "Airport Express" bus that takes passengers near to many hotels in town. Price of the bus is 150 baht and the service stops around midnight.

Taxi sign up desk is on the bottom level near door 7 (near the Airport Bus kiosk.) Have small bills available to pay for the ride. Price includes all you can stuff in the cab. Figure with surcharge of 50 baht, toll charges and meter fare the price will be around 350 baht.

Good value and good time in Thailand.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Both Bali and Thailand are very good value for your money. I consider them roughly equivalent in price. (Although I have to admit that the idea of a 600 baht hotel rooms makes me shudder.)