Thailand for Christmas/New Years

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news. I just started a job that 1. Pays for grad school and 2. Gives me a paid week off at Christmas. I have a friend in Bangkok, and one who goes there regularly. I've never been, and we are meeting up. So excited and ready to start planning. Suggestions welcome.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:54 AM

A good place to start:

http://www.fodors.com/world/asia/thailand/bangkok/

A week sounds like a lot of time, but in Bangkok there is so much to experience it really isn't! Decide what interest you most and any planning you do will be well rewarded.

The more information you provide regarding your interests (e.g. culture/food/shopping/temples/budget etc.), the more relevant and useful will be the replies you will get
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Bangkok is my favorite city in the world. I suggest you spend your whole week here. Traveling at Christmas means the hotels will be the most expensive of the year, though it's not so bad in Bangkok. At the beaches, hotels double and triple their rates for that week and often have a mandatory Xmas and NY dinners for in excess of $100 per person.

I recommend that everyone ride the water taxis (more like a water bus) to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha at Wat Po. You can then take the cross river foot ferry to Wat Arun. I also recommend you take a tour of the Jim Thompson House. If you love house museums, let us know as there are a couple of others I'd recommend.

Tell us a bit about your interests and we can make specific suggestions.

Will you be staying with your friend or do you need hotel recommendations? If you need recommendations, give us a per night price range.

Also tell us what kind of shopping you'd like and we can offer shopping recommendations.

Have a wonderful time!
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:52 AM

Agree i could easily do a week in Bangkok but maybe a day trip to Auyuthaya would be nice (if it's all open etc) the Shangri la do a trip (which i have yet to take but its on my wish list) there by coach back by the river....
You have come to the best place to get lots and lots of info on Bangkok!
As Kathie said, give us some additional info and we can go from there
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
I will be staying in a hotel, as my friend lives at home with her family. We are also going to be met by our common friend from Germany. The former always welcomes the latter, so I am the rookie to Bangkok.
I enjoy so many things, really. I don't know what I'm getting myself into as far as what to do in Bangkok. I need to read more of Fodors.
My budget will be low, but hotel budget won't. Any scoop is welcome. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

I am laughing at the thought of a budget at this point. I'm looking at the various airlines, which are charging an arm and a leg for flights. There went a budget right out the window. I emailed my local friend there and she said we'll probably spend time up in Chiang Mai too. First things first, airline ticket then hotel then activities.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM

If you go to Chiang Mai, consider a cooking school. I did one there a few years ago and I loved it ( the Chiang Mai Thai cookery school) a really great thing to do.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:28 AM

i could easily do a month in bkk, and i have been there 15 times...