Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where to Eat in Hong Kong (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-to-eat-in-hong-kong-1169306/)

yestravel Dec 19th, 2016 05:48 PM

Where to Eat in Hong Kong

We'll be in HK next month for 5 nights and are looking forward to sampling its famed food. Would love suggestions for places to eat from street food to fine dining. Thanks

jobin Dec 20th, 2016 03:14 AM

Where did you hear of 'street food' in HK? Try Taipei or Bangkok for that. Lots of noodle shops everywhere you look so do try a bowl with cow stomach, said to taste/chew wonderful.
Seafood along the waterfront: that would be Sai Kung. You many choose the fish/lobster/clams you like and see them killed before your eyes. Then fried and served to you.

internetwiz Dec 20th, 2016 03:57 AM

There is street food at the mongkok markets, but I haven't tried any of it.

yestravel Dec 20th, 2016 04:47 AM

Lots of articles about HK street food, for example, http://www.hong-kong-traveller.com/h...l#.WFk193eZO3c.
And the neighborhood internetwiz mentions is one area that pops up alot.

CaliNurse Dec 20th, 2016 07:56 PM

This is whatI loved about HK--it is sooo much more than just the big city. Like you, I was there five days, so you have a great amount of "starter" time, which will leave you eager for more on a return visit.
There are outlying villages/islands a quick and easy ferry ride away. For example, check Cheung Chau, which I didnt get to, but is on the list for next time. They have waterfront restaurants.
As Jobin says, Sai Kung is an interesting place, known for its seafood there was a Sunday market at the waterfront when I went, with people selling fresh baked custards, etc.
If you go to Sai Kung, you take the metro to Diamond Hill. Two block away is the Chi Lin Nunnery, surrounded by lovely gardens. From there, it's about half hour ride on a double decker bus to Sai Kung town.
Also, if you see the Big Buddha on Lantau Island, you can combine it with a ticket to Tai O. But I recommend instead taking the scenic local bus out there. You et the metro to Tung Chung. There's a big mall just by the station, if you want "small " food or snacks. At the very start of Tai O town there are numerous stalls selling food. I had some delicious things there--seafood in its shell,topped with cheese, for example.If you go on the local bus (instead of the Big Buddha/Tai O" tour bus) you're not tied to a schedule, and you can stroll past the tourist oriented stalls, out to the tip of the peninsula. On the way you'll pass local cafes, and can finish with a cuppa tea (or stronger drink!) at the dining room of a heritage hotel , remodeled from an old police station, where the walkway ends.

yestravel Dec 21st, 2016 04:57 AM

CaliNurse -- great information, thanks!

CaliNurse Dec 21st, 2016 08:34 PM

Glad to help,Yestravel, except that for hours, I've been reminiscing and trying to figure out when/if/how I can get back there!

A few other things, in no particular order, which I recalled today:

If you go to Tai O town, there's a bus from there that goes along the coast to Mui Wo town, where you can get the ferry back to the central HK side ferry pier (and from there, as i did, the Star Ferry back to the Kowloon side). At Mui Wo, by the ferry ticket area, there's an area of assorted places to eat.

If you plan better than did I , you would have time along the route (between Tai O and Mui Wo) to get off at Pui O village (I know, the names get me rhyming!). Along the beaches there are paths lined with restaurants.

Because I was running late per ferry schedule, the closest i got to eating at Mui Wo was the Pacific Coffee counter in the little terminal(If you're like me, locations for decent coffee are essential information!) Not sure if this is your first trip to HK. If it is, you will certainly go up to Victoria Peak, where there's another Pacific Coffee, with a great view (if visible through the omnipresent fog, etc) of the harbor and good hot drinks for the cool January weather.

IF you have time--it would make for a very long day--you can get a direct short ferry ride from Mui Wo to Cheung Chau island, whichI mentioned on previous post. Or, you can reach it directly from central HK. Lamma Island is another place famous for its dockside seafood restaurants, also a ferry ride away from central HK, --and yet another place I didnt have time for .

I read the street food article cited above. Re the night market at Temple Street area-- I don't mind a place being "touristy"--I'm a tourist, and there's likely good reason for many to see famous place-- but this market was too full of junk. I ate at a restaurant near Temple Street. Local folks recommended it when asked where they would eat, and indeed, I was the only non-local (in appearance) person in a packed -full place. But the food was soooo disappointing. Very bland. Wish i recalled the name to warn you!

rkkwan Dec 22nd, 2016 01:31 AM

There's really little of the "street food" like those you find in Taiwan. The fact that HKers will fly to Taipei to just eat street food should tell you something.

At Temple Street, you can dine on the street, but they are actually restaurants.

Mongkok has some street food, but hardly compares to what one can find in Taiwan in the evening. And there are other older shopping malls that are converting part to become mini food-stalls. One popular among locals is Kwai Chung Plaza adjacent to Kwai Fong MTR. But walking through there is scary enough (I always wonder what happens if there's a fire), and browsing through the shops there seem to be quite a bit of novelty there (coping stuff from Taiwan and/or Korea), but not sure how tasty they are actually.

An even older place is the Tai On House arcade adjacent to Sai Wan Ho MTR. Again, totally local, and more traditional Cantonese stuff.

There used to be vibrant food stalls all over HK, but the Government decided to phase them out in the 1970's. Personally, I think that was a horrible mistake.

yestravel Dec 22nd, 2016 05:23 AM

Thanks! This got onto street food, but I was also looking for recommended restaurants. any suggestions?

CaliNurse Dec 22nd, 2016 05:50 PM

Planning next trip! (Told you I got into a HK mood from this thread!) here's one restaurant suggestion! Warning: photos of yummy food attached:

http://www.flyingfourchette.com/2013...hau-hong-kong/

internetwiz Dec 23rd, 2016 01:23 PM

Thanks for your input CaliNurse and rkkwan. I'm following as we'll be there shortly before yestravel. My mouth is watering looking at those food pictures.

HappyTrvlr Dec 23rd, 2016 01:36 PM

The Chairman
Ho Lee Fook
Mok's Noodles on Wellington-Anthony Bourdin recommendation.
Honolulu Coffee Shop- great local breakfasts. Do not miss the Egg Tarts.
Take an excellent walking food tour with Little Adventures in Hong Kong. Excellent!
Highly recommend this company.
We also took a ferry out to Cheung Chau Island for a wonderful seafood lunch. Don't have the name but there are many places along the waterfront.
Walking food tour with Little Adventures in Hong Kong is excellent!

Kathie Dec 23rd, 2016 02:27 PM

Will you make a day trip to Macau? Probably the best meal we had was at Fernando's in Macau. We had wonderful food in Hong Kong, too, but Fernando's was really special.

yestravel Dec 23rd, 2016 02:53 PM

Thanks!

kathie, we may got to Macau and will make note of Fernandos. A couple of our days are during the New year, so will need to check what's open.

internetwiz Dec 24th, 2016 06:18 AM

HappyTrvlr, we contacted Little Adventures. We're still deliberating, so it's nice to get a recommendation from a Fodorite.

Kathie, we had Fernando's earmarked (along with Café Nga Tim, which was recommended by a HK native). Choices, choices.

yestravel Dec 24th, 2016 07:43 AM

internetwiz, did you get a rate from Little Adventures?

knycx_journeying Dec 30th, 2016 09:02 PM

Hi yestravel, some ideas about local food in Hong Kong that you could try :P http://wp.me/p5Lw9a-1bX
Seafood ~ Milk ea and local bakery, don't forget hotpot and local dimsum and desert!

yestravel Jan 2nd, 2017 01:00 PM

Would love one cantonese sitdown restaurant for a nice evening. Any suggestions preferably on Kowloon?

billirandall Jan 3rd, 2017 01:35 AM

I have never been to Hong kong but one of mu friend been to that place last momth and I heard from him that Hong kong's street food is really awsome..you prefer to eat steet foods rather than in reataurants..apart from this if you want to go restaurant then you can go "Yan Toh Heen"..it is one of the most famous for its food.

Elizabeth_S Jan 4th, 2017 04:45 AM

Where are you staying ?