Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Where in Tokyo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/where-in-tokyo-1670403/)

cindyjo Aug 7th, 2019 05:38 PM

Where in Tokyo?

Hello again. As posted in “Too Late....” thread, we now have tickets for March 5 to April 1 arriving at Narita. We plan on staying in Tokyo for 6 night and there will be 3 adult family members travelling together (husband, sister-in-law and myself). We have travelled together before and shared lodging amicably.
Our daughter spent 6 nights in the Setagaya area and thinks with our travel style we would also like the area. Unfortunately there don’t seem to be many rentals available. Wondering if anyone has an idea for a guesthouse, apartment or hotel in that area or would suggest a similar area. We seem to have much better luck finding a comfortable rental in Kyoto but really are stuck in the Tokyo situation.
We are sharing expenses and can spend $300 per night for a triple hotel or rental.
thank you.....

kja Aug 7th, 2019 06:26 PM

Have you looked on booking.com? I've always had great success with that search engine and like that you can specify things like number of guests and price per night.

cindyjo Aug 7th, 2019 07:07 PM

Thanks kja, yes have been looking through Booking.com, VRBO and airbnb. The difficulty is guessing what the area is like? We are really looking for a neighborhood close to transportation. Have also looked at Asakusa but again not much to rent for 3.

kja Aug 7th, 2019 07:33 PM

Being near public transportation is a very good idea, but doesn't necessarily lend itself to affordable places to rent. I was glad to have stayed in the Ueno area, so that's another you might look into.

CaliforniaLady Aug 7th, 2019 08:49 PM

We liked the Ginza area. We stayed at the Marriott there, which is now a Courtyard Marriott. They may have a suite there that would accommodate all of you.

I agree with kja, that public transportation in Tokyo is really good, so the driving force of where you stay might be where you can find suitable housing. Whenever a poster asks about where to stay in Tokyo, the responses seem to be varied, so there is no favorite among the responders here.

cindyjo Aug 7th, 2019 11:06 PM

Thanks CaliforniaLady, will look into Ginza. Kja, where did you stay in Ueno? We are looking at Edo Sakara which is about a 15 minute walk to Ueno Park.

kja Aug 7th, 2019 11:32 PM

I stayed at the Suigetsu Hotel Ohgaisou, which hasn't been getting particularly positive reviews of late, and even when I was there, it had some decided disadvantages, so I can't currently recommend it. My favorite thing about it was that it was a short, easy walk from to several options for transportation, including the JR Ueno train station, the Keisei Ueno train station (which has an express line to/from Narita Airport), and the Nezu subway station -- stations that made sense for my particular interests while in Tokyo. I think it was closer to Ueno Park -- and the Ueno train station -- than you are considering, but what works for you will depend on what you want to do while in Tokyo and which trains or subways you hope to use (there are several). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

crellston Aug 8th, 2019 12:34 AM

I just booked the Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa international in Asakusa . I usually use Booking.com but got a better deal Witt Expedia. It gets good reviews, decent sized rooms and is probably weighing your price requirement. A good location for transport to sights and airports was what swayed me as we have an early return flight from Haneda.

Like kja, on our last trip some years ago, we stayed in Ueno. Again a great location - Ueno Park is amazing at Sakura time. Lots of small local restaurant around. Subway made it easy to get around. That time we stayed at Andon Ryokan. A really nice place, great service, nice people, but the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in . I could touch both walls with my arms outstretched!

cindyjo Aug 8th, 2019 05:19 PM

Yes, I looked at the Richmond and quite liked the triple we would need but they don’t take reservations until 6 months out. I did book a fairly large triple at Asakusa View which Google says is 4 minutes walk to the Richmond. Many of the triples I have looked at have very little space after 3 twin beds. The View has 3 twins and a sitting area. kja, I have looked in the Uneo area but haven’t yet found an available room that looks comfortable enough for 3. Thinking of a rental in Kyoto. Might be easier for 3!