Where can you buy an Obi?

Sep 15th, 2004, 09:12 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Where can you buy an Obi?

I will be in Nagasaki soon. Would like to buy an Obi-silk if possible. Does any one have any suggestions about a shop that might have some?
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM

You can certainly buy one quite easily, but they are very expensive...more than the kimono actually. A really nice one will be upwards of 80,000 yen, and for less than that it may not be silk or may be very plain. A very good family friend of ours is a real live geisha, and her obi, which are simple in comparison to some, cost over 100,000 yen each. I've seen some in shops for 300,000 yen. No, it's not a typo with the 0's!

Department stores have a kimono shop inside, and there are small kimono shops scattered in both shopping areas and residential neighborhoods. Most women own only 1 or maybe 2 kimono and obi. For lower prices, you can search second hand shops and flea markets..but it's a time consuming search. If you have time, it's a fun way to spend it though. Regardless of where you buy it, you should bring along the kimono you want it to match.

If you aren't looking for something to wear, but for a decoration, then you might want to look at children's obi...they are cheaper and often quite decorative.
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:50 PM

Bonjour cwn,

As KimJapan wrote, a new obi is an expensive buy. Many Japanese will therefore buy second hand when a kimono is needed, which means the tourist office or your hotel desk in Nagasaki should be able to direct you to one at least. In addition, the recent craze in Japan is "recycle", i.e. using kimono and obi fabric to make all kinds of clothes and accessories.

You can also visit a bookstore and look for addresses in magazines about "recycling" in the kimono section.

I don't know about the prices in Nagasaki, but in Tokyo and Kyoto I'm used to pay between Yen 3000 and 20'000 for a good silk obi in a second hand shop or flea market, and even in some antiques shops, mostly in Kyoto.
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:21 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks KimJapan and Florence for the information. A second hand obi would be great and a child's might work. Yes, I want it for decoration-for my dinning room table actually. I would really like silk, but that is not necessary.

I hadn't thought of the tourist office for that kind of infomation. We only have this one day in Japan. So I don't have much time for lots of shopping. Is there a market or shopping area that might have these kind of shops. We will be at the pier and I understand the tram is nearby.
Sep 16th, 2004, 07:58 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Well, I was having trouble with the reply post. I'll see if this will work.
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:34 PM

Bonjour cwn,

Have you considered, rather than an obi, getting a piece of fabric for kimono ? Finding a regular kimono shop might prove easier than a second-hand one, and many offer discounted rolls of fabric. Since the standard piece of fabric is of the same width as an obi, this might suit you fine.
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Another point: don't hesitate to ask the tourist office for any question you have (provided there is someone who speaks English, of course). You'll be amazed at what kind of information they store. In Tokyo and Kyoto (but I'm sure Nagasaki too), I was provided with addresses of all kinds of obscure businesses I was shure nobody would know about ...
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Florence, what a great idea! I had not thought of a fabric piece. You are right that might be easier to find. I sew, so making the obi would not be problem! Thanks. I will check at the Tourist Office when we arrive. I know they can be very helpful. I always look for the "I" whe we are travelling in Europe. Even though I speak only English, I have usually been able to get what we needed. Though one time we needed a room for us and our 14 yr old daughter in coastal town in Southern France-it was Aug! The lady at the "I" sent us to a lovely counry inn about 30 km away. There the inn keeper showed me a room with a crib, but then when she saw our daughter, we all had a great laugh and a great time!! Thanks for all the help!