Jogjakarta to Jakarta trip - rough itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 weeks or so in Bali we thought it would be very nice to spend 6/7 days in Java. We've already booked a flight from Jakarta to Singapore but still need to organise getting to Jakarta from Bali. Does the following draft itinerary look do-able?

1. Arrive in Jogjakarta sometime (not too early a flight from Bali, I hope) on 20th October, travel to hotel close to Borobudor. Chill out/wander around.
2. 21st visit Borobudor - possibly with a very early start! Travel to hotel close to Jogja/Kraton.
3. 22nd visit Kraton and other sights in Jogja. Afternoon, travel towards Bandung. Spend night on route - perhaps in a plantation?
4. 23rd travel towards Bandung arrive in Bandung late afternoon.
5. 24th tour Bandung areas. Travel to Bogor. Spend night in or en route to Bogor.
6. 25th visit Botanical gardens in morning. After lunch travel to Jakarta airport hotel. Arrive mid-afternoon.
7. 26th early flight (07:25) to Singapore.

The Sheraton Bandara is close to Jakarta airport and looks very nice so we thought we'd try to stay there. The Manohara looks ideal for the Borobudor (though I appreciate the Amanjiwo is the ne plus ultra for the region). No ideas for the rest of the tour.

What do people think? Too much time or too little? Should we take the train from Jogja to Bandung or get a car with guide.
Also, this is all being done during Ramadan. Will this cause problems for us? If Ramadan is a very bad time to visit Java, then we could just spend more time in Bali and fly direct to Jakarta for 1 night, before flying on to Singapore.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Claus

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM

If it were me, I'd staty in the Jogja area for the whole week (there is lots to do and see) and simply fly from Jogja to Jakarta to catch my onward flight.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Kathie -- once again you and I are in complete agreement.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Clausy,
1. Ramadhan is not a good time to visit Java. All non-hotel restaurants are closed during the day and entertainment (like cultural performances, dances) is strictly curtailed. People are exhausted and distracted.

Having said that Central Java is a wonderful place to visit. If it's Ramadhan or never, then I'd go with Ramadhan, but your experience will be somewhat flavored by austerity of the event.

2. I would also give a miss to Bandung and Bogor. West Java is interesting and scenic, but the Yogya area has a LOT to offer and you could easily fill up a few days.

Geographically all of Java is quite similar: mountains, rice paddies, rivers. (That is, to foreign eyes. Locals will tell you that there are vast differences.

Central Java is really the cultural heart -- for dance, mysticism, handicrafts, batik. It's also the political vortex of Indonesia.

The distances from Central Java to West Java by car or train are greater than you might imagine. Train travel is fairly basic. Car travel is fairly dull. I wouldn't travel long distances with a driver who is fasting.

3. I haven't heard of any cutbacks to Borobudur during Ramadhan. They've recently introduced an evening dance performance, which may or may not be available then. Same goes for the performances at the Kraton and Prambanan Temple.

I've not stayed at the Manohara but it looks acceptable and the location couldn't be better. You can always go by the Amanjiwo for a meal.

The Losari Coffee Plantation is another possibility. Don't worry about the listed rates. These places don't get many guests and they are negotiable.

4. In Jakarta, the Sheraton Bandara is perfectly serviceable. If you're staying longer (and willing to brave the epic traffic) a lovely boutique hotel is the Dharmawangsa. Again, rates are variable.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, folks. Marmot, particularly useful stuff - I hadn't considered the driving/tiredness point. Mind you, you've now got me thinking about sleepy pilots and air traffic controllers!