Where are the older people in Thailand?

Feb 4th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Warren

Where are the older people in Thailand?

Just returned from Thailand. Interesting place but I have a major question for experts on this country: Where are the older people?

EVERYONE I saw was under 40 years old. In three weeks I did not see a single person on the street or in public building who looked like they were over 40 years old!

If you reply to this message please do not give the easy answer that Thailand has a young population statistically. I know that is the case. But to spend three weeks in a country, visiting it from north to south and see NOONE over 40 years old- that is scary! Where are the older people in Thailand?

Feb 4th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Apiwat

I'm 41 and most of my friends are that age or older. May be we look young to you westerners?

I spend my typical day like this, work from 8 to 5 weekdays - then I either go home or out for dinner or other social function. Weekends, golf or fishing on Saturday and Sunday I spend with the family.

As for the elders(70 and up), we take care of them our selves, meaning that they live with us until they're gone. I don't think that elderly people would hang out where tourist visit either. There are very few retirement homes, like in the US over here, where you can go and look at the elderly!

Apiwat

Feb 5th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Barry

I also visited Thailand recently and now that I think about it I saw few if any older people. The people working in the stores, hotels and eating places were all under 30 and I saw no one over 50 or so on the streets, especially outside of Bangkok.

What gives?

Feb 5th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Vance

I understand there is a unwritten rule in many southest asia cities that older people will stay at or close to home.

Feb 5th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Apiwat

Wow, first it was people over 40 now it's people over 50 - what's next 60?

Most people in the service industry are relatively young as in most places around the world. Why do you guys want to see old people?

Perhaps I should set up an old people's center so you tourist can visit?

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Cindy

It is scary how the older people in Thailand are hidden from view, what happens to the young worker when they turn 40?

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Al

My wife and I (74) recently returned from almost a month on our own in SE Asia. While walking through a rice paddy in northern Viet Nam, my wife (72) asked our guide if his grandmother would be doing what we were doing. "Oh, no!" he replied. "Grandmothers here stay home. Not like you -- you go, go, go!"

Feb 5th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Kathie

While it is certainly true that you don't find older Thais working at resorts, I've seen older Thai people during my travels in Thailand. I love the open-air markets, and see a good mix of ages shopping for fruits and vegetables. I don't know that Thailand is vastly different from many countries in this regard. In the US, too, younger people tend to be the majority of employees in hotels, restaurants, and resorts.

Feb 5th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Curious

I see a few older people (over 40 or so) during my travels in Thailand but very very few. Maybe one in a hundred of people you see on the street are over 40. Where are they? Is it cultural, political, social? Where they killed off?

Feb 5th, 2002, 02:29 PM
anamoy

After spending time in Thailand and meeting the people (who are absolutely the nicest in the world), it's completely ridiculous to speculate on the well being of the elderly. Customs and social norms differ than the western world. Why galavant around when they can spend quality time with family et al. I completely agree with Apiwat. Perhaps I'll do some research on elderly homes you can visit during your next trip.

Feb 5th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Apiwat

Are most of the people who post on this thread crazy or fundamentally stupid? This is so ridiculous that it is funny!

Do you people think that with CNN, BBC, MSNBC and all the other international media around that there is a conspiracy in my country to kill off the elderly? You guys are NUTS!

First there were people who claims that beggars were every where, then it was the extreme choking pollution now you are claiming that we have a secret concentration camp to kill of the elderly?

I first looked at this web site for help with one of my vacation trip and I received a lot of useful information. Now I'm here trying to help those other travelers with any useful knowledge that I might have. What I'm seeing now is a smear campaign against a lot countries in Asia. If you are of sane mind please use good judgment when you read anything here.

Apiwat

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:35 PM
LizF

I have travelled in/through/around Thailand many times over the years and it is true that everyone looks younger than we think.
The Thai Grandmas are probably at home with their children and their grandchildren. The elderly have a role to play in the family and help out with the children and household tasks. I stayed with a family in Northern Thailand and there were 4 generations in the family and all played a major part in the household. If anyone is really interested they can look up the Internet and check out the statistics that way.

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Billie

As a recent traveler in Thailand I have to agree with the orginal poster, there ar few if any people over 40 out in public in Thailand!

If the older people are active in the Thai famaily and community, where are they? No one seems to be out in public that appears to be more than middle age.

Help us solve this mystery!

Feb 6th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Billie

As a recent traveler in Thailand I have to agree with the orginal poster, there are few if any people over 40 out in public in Thailand!

If the older people are active in the Thai famaily and community, where are they? No one seems to be out in public that appears to be more than middle age.

Help us solve this mystery!

Feb 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Kathie

How many of the responses to this thread are by the same person? There are some interesting similarities in phrasing. I think this is what is generally called a "troll," a message put on a board just to see how many peple will respond to it. Someone needs to get a life.

Feb 6th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jason

Well for one, there are no old people in the illegal sex tours that these posters take. Furthermore, there's no old people in the underground hooker houses either. So that's why you guys don't see old people. You're too busy with the 13 year olds and didn't get a chance to see the outside of the motel.

Feb 6th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Hughe

Why go all the way there? Come to my "home" at night - corner of Sunset & Fairfax and I'll show you my bitches.

Feb 6th, 2002, 09:55 AM
GLENN

Unless you ask these people how old they are you have no way of telling. I am married to an oriental who at 38 looks like she is late teens-early 20s.
So you were probably looking at older people and were not aware of it, we caucasions should be so lucky!!

To Hughe....this is a family community so please refrain from your type of answers...thank you

To all...Thailand is a beautiful place and the people are as sensitive to our remarks as we would be to theirs..so let us show respect. God bless you all.

Feb 6th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Jason

Glen,
I believe the politically correct term is "Asian" or "Asian American". Not Oriental. Oriental rugs are ok but not oriental people. That's what I heard.

Feb 6th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Sarah Rey

Well firstly in the big cities you will see those people who were educated since the 80's, most of those older had less of an education and were students in the times when the country was primarily an agricultural based economy. Especially those people who you meet as a tourist/traveller will be those who have learnt English and have sought work in the big cities, the older people tend to live away from cities.
The other fact is that 'yes', Thai people look far far younger than their actaul age. I have Thai friends who look 25-27 and are in their 40's, someone who looks 18 is actually 34! You will often see hotel staff who look 15-16 but are well into early 20's. I think I can also say that after 5 or more years in Thailand even a 'foreigner' can considor themselves 'younger', it's the character of the place, the lifestyle.

Search this Thread