Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

When to buy to buy tickets to Bangkok and what cities for a stop over?? Any advice/suggestions??

When to buy to buy tickets to Bangkok and what cities for a stop over?? Any advice/suggestions??

Old May 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI All,
We are in the first part of planning a trip to Bangkok, Cambodia and Laos. (a 2 week + trip)
We have found that we can have a stop over in either Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei or Souel (sp?).
first question is:
is it to early to buy tickets? Do you think the fares will go down between now and January
and
which of the four cities do you think would be most interesting for a few days.
We don't really like to shop but like to site see.
thanks for any feedback you can recommmend.
Toni
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM

I seriously doubt that ticket prices will go down between now and January. Watch the prices for a few weeks, buy when you se any dip in prices. Generally, I find the airline site have the best prices (as opposed to Orbitz or Expedia, etc)

How much time do you have on the ground in Asia? You listed three countries you plan to visit in 2+ weeks... unless you plan is one stop in each country, you already have too many destinations. Of the cities you list, I'd cut Seoul as the city people rank last, Taipei is interesting primarily for its National Museum, Tokyo is a possibility, but quite expensive, and I'm not sure the two day stop over will feel like enough. Hong Kong is my nomination. A fascinating city with lots to do, it has easy access from the airport, so it works well for a stopover. It, too, will be expensive, though not as expensive as Tokyo. Note that all of these cities are much more expensive than the places you are going in SE Asia.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,
Thanks so very much for your input...we were leaning toward Hong Kong also and you've made up our mind. They actually have a 1 day itinerary on the Frommers (can I say that :0) website which looks like a lot of fun.
As far as airfare, we'll watch the paper and websites for the best airfares in the next few weeks and buy our tickets then. I never feel like I'm really going to go until the airline tickets are purchased.
Here is our itinerary so far if you could comment:
3 nights in Bangkok
3 nights in Siem Reap
3 nights in Puang Lubang
2 nights in Bangkok
and then our extra 2 nights in Hong Kong....
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Jasper, if it were me (and it isn't), I'd drop Hong Kong and add another day to each Siem Reap and Luang Prabang. These areas lend themselves best to slow travel. It takes a full three days just to see the major temples at Angkor. ANd LP is so lovely, it would be a shame not to soak up the atmosphere.

I expect you'll have more trips to Asia if you are anything like so many of us on the board, so you'll have other opportunities for visiting Hong Kong (which deserves more time itself).
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I think your proposed itinerary looks good. It will give you a taste of BKK, AW and LP.

If you want to pre-arrange guides, many in Siem Riep have liked Ponheary. She can be reached at [email protected]. Read some of the posts about the wonderful school visits with {Ponheary.

In BKK, Tong is a great guide. While a BKK guide is not necessary. Tong can really liven up your time there. She can be reached at TourwithTong.com.

If you give us a proposed budget, we will be happy to make hotel suggestions for each loication.

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

G-Panda and Kathie:
thanks again for taking the time to answer.
Kathie: That's a good suggestion. I'll discuss that with our travel partners (my husband and I and another couple travel together and have planned all our trips with the help of Fodors) I spoke to Robb (our travel buddy)right after your last post and he was so excited about your recommendation of Hong Kong as he's always wanted to go. It may be hard to tell him no now...

Gpanda: Thanks for that...because I'm on these boards so often since starting to plan this trip, I have already emailed both Ponheary and Tong. They answered right back and as soon as we firm up our travel dates I'm going to book both of them. They sound wonderful.

These are the hotels I'm considering...if you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Bangkokiam Heritage
Siem Reap: FCC Angkor, Viroths or Shinta Mani
Luang Prabang: Apsara or 3 Nagas
Bangkok: Penninsula (our splurge)
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM

You might look at trying the Marriott for one BKK stay and the Royal Orchid Sheraton for the other. This would cost about the same as your combo, but provide 5 nights at very good hotels. Not as good as the Pen, but still both wonderful.
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

You don't care for the Siam Heritage??
I know it's close to a questionable area, but almost all the posts I've read have been favorable which is why I thought it would be OK. It's in the Fodors book with a "star" also. Let me know your thoughts if you don't mind. I welcome your input.

one other question please?
How do we go about arranging transportation from the aiport to our hotel?
Taxi or shuttle or ????
Is English well understood most everywhere?

Old May 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM

You will get by fine with English. It has become the universal tourist language.

From the airport, you can take a taxi as the cheapest method, but they tend to be Toyota Corollas with small trunks. We always arrange an airport pick up. We've usede AAC Limo several times. It cost about 1000 Baht.

I do not know the Siam Heritage. My recommendation is based on my bias for staying on the river. we've found that doing so provides a refuge from the frenetic pace of BKK. We love to watch the river ferrys. Both the M and the ROS have great pools. Another form of refuge.

Don't overly agonize. you can drive yourself crazy trying for perfection. It's not necessary. There are lots of very good hotels in BKK. Just make a choice and be done with it.
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM

BTW, if you have Starwood points, you can stay at the ROS and other BKK hotels.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Dang! no starwood points.
OK....I've noted your ACC limo recommendation and will pull up their website for more info.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

One of my favorite things in life is to be able to come back to the Fodors boards to plan our next adventure and I know we will love Asia!!!
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM

When we are planning an Asia trip, our first step is to buy the tickets from the US to Asia. Last year, we got a good deal on Cathay Pacific from JFK and just flew from Boston on Jet Blue. I've noted several offers from CP, but none yet for January. That is the high season and there may not be any bargains.

Once our intercontinental flights are bought, we lay out our internal itinerary and purchase those flights. For your proposed trip, check out flights from Siem Riep to Luang Prabang or vice-versa. This may save backtracking through BKK. It may be that the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass can save you money. This requires three legs, either internal or international. Check their website for flight schedules. If this seems to work, call the 800 number to book the flights. You can save money by sending a certified check and not using the credit card option that charges an additional percentage.

After booking internal flights, book the hotels and guides. This is the part of the planning that can cause aggravation if you agonize.

Your trip will be wonderful.
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM

Oil seems to be going ever upwards in price and some are talking of the $200 barrel of oil. I would book fairly soon but having said that, also ask about fuel surcharges.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM

It isn't the first place that would come to mind for a stopover, but Singapore has direct flights from the US, and they've got some really cheap flights on offer now in celebration of their 60th anniversary.

From Singapore, you can get direct flights to/from Siem Reap and Bangkok, so you could avoid any back-tracking.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that information. I'll call them today to see about price and schedules. Singapore sounds interesting too.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM

I very seriously doubt that prices will go down. I came back from BKK in January 2008 and then bought my ticket in late-February for Dec 2008...yes...10 months in advance for a lower fare than if I had waited until, say now, to buy the same ticket.
Unfortunately,when I got to work last week, I found out that the vacation schedule had been changed, which has infuriated many to say the least, so I had to call Thai Air, last week, and make it for 6 days later. I ended up paying $172. more plus $75. to change the ticket. That's on an LAX-Bangkok, non-stop flight. Happy Travels!
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Oh, and yes, I too think the airline sites have the best prices if it's only a flight you're looking for. I've had the best of luck with them. And I too would check into Singapore Air. They usually have some great flight/hotel deals. They are expensive if you buy the airfare alone, but if you go with a flight/hotel promotion, then you can many times do VERY well. My best friend has mostly flown with them annually for well over a decade and has gotten some great deals.Several times, she's called Roe over at Escapes Unlimited here in Southern California and gets great combo deals.They're down in Orange County...they're listed in Frommer's Budget Travel magazine all of the time. Happy Travels!
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM

I'm taking roughly the same trip but in December .... booked the plane travel at the 330 day mark in advance. Decided not to take time with any stopovers but will fly to Saigon, take the boat trip up the Mekong to Siem Reap, (the Victoria Hotel and have contacted Ponheary), then to Bangkok (the Penn ... couldn't resist, 40th wedding anniversary and I feel like being indulged)for a week before flying back. Really debated about seeing Luang Prabang but thought it would be too much for a three week trip.
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

the best layed plans huh? sorry about that.

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM

In Siem Reap, we stayed at the Heritage Suites and greatly enjoyed our beautiful and spacious room. We'd also recommend our guide, Kao Samreth (Sam) -- you can find his website at www.angkortouring.com

It's nice, but not necessary, for a first time Bangkok visitor to stay on the river. The Royal Orchid Sheraton usually can be part of a reasonable Thai Air package. At least from Taipei, our current home base, Thai Air has the best prices. We've also stayed at the Metropolitan (next to the Banyan Tree) and loved its trendy, but serene feel.

Because I live in Taipei, I'd always recommend it, but everyone should see Hong Kong once.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -