Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

When to arrive at HND for a domestic flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a domestic departure from Haneda airport at 9:55 on a Sunday morning. It is ANA so it leaves from terminal 2. I will not be checking baggage.

How long would it take to get from the monorail to a gate, assuming I already have a boarding pass. How much time to add if I have to check in at the airport? I would be able to use a Star Gold check-in line if they have one.

If I take the limo bus then I would arrive at 9:05.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The limo bus woul be departing from the Tokyo Hilton in Shinjuku.

The scheules give 1 hour for the trip from the airport but 15 to 25 minutes longer to get to the airport.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM

At that time Sunday morning should be no problem with traffic. The longer return bus trip could be because the Hilton is the first stop of a few on the way to HND. The limo bus main overnight parking area is right across the street of the Hilton/Hyatt.

We have taken a taxi from the Hyatt to HND a couple of times now on "business" charging the credit card for about 70.00 US or so iirc.
took 35 minutes each time. Not much traffic, I think once was a Saturday morn and the other a Sunday.....or was it a Monday?

Again at that time Sunday morning check in should be easy as the area is large and fully staffed sometimes I think overstaffed. Your Gold Status should clear you within 15 minute of arrival then off to the gate area. I like the area on the top level(5th?) after security where you can go outside and see the runways with the planes taking off and landing one after the other it seems....there is a Japanese restaurant outside up there too iirc.

See you soon in Tokyo!

Aloha!
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I took the limo bus that departed the Hilton at 7:40 and was scheduled to take 70 minutes. It only took 50 minutes - was at the terminal at 8:30. There was nobody in line at check-in and only one person in front of me going through security.

The big lobby inside the termnial had check-in and security entrances on one side and merchant stands on the other side. I was approaching one stand where the young lady, in her uniform, was in front of it facing the stand with her back to the people passing by. I was 20 or 30 feet away and there was a woman walking by in the other direction about the same distance away.

The lady at the stand was focused on setting up and arranging the products (candy or something) and probably didn't see us passing by. Maybe she was aware of people around but she didn't look up from what she was doing. But she was chattering away - ohaiyo gozaimasu, irasshaimase, whatever - in that nasally way that vendors use to attract and greet customers. I am pretty certain that she would have been chattering away even if there had been nobody within 100 yards. Maybe she was practicing her chatter at the start of her day or just following directions to keep up the constant chatter, or maybe just habit, I don't know, but she certainly wasn't just standing around looking bored. I resisted the urge to stand off at a distance and watch her.

Maybe you had to be there to get this. It was only a few seconds and just one of many amusing/puzzling moments that I enjoyed in Japan.
Old Dec 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM

I know what you mean Bill......if I close my eyes and clear my mind right now I can hear that voice....that <i>nasally</i> voice crying out loud in the distance "irasshaimase" "ohaiyo gozaimasu" "irasshaimase" "dozo dozo"
ahhhhhhh for the simpler things in life.

How was the Hilton? Were the lines at Tsukiji long when you went?

Aloha!
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

The Hilton was very nice. I checked in and then took their shuttle to Shinjuku station.

Went to Meiji Jingu where there were several weddings and 7-5-3 celebrators. Many beautiful kimono. Followed that with a visit to the ukiyo-e gallery that Mara recommended.

Had dinner at a sushi place in Ebisu because it was near the JR line from Shinjuku and Harajuku. It is the one that the Westin had recommended on a previous visit.

On the return, I took the Hyatt shuttle from Shinjuku station (thanks for pointing out the shuttle stop the night before) and then walked over to the metro govt building to see the views. Then had a nice Cuban cigar and a martini in the lounge at the Hilton.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Comfort Hotel in Toyama. Outstanding location as it was so easy and obvious to find being across the street from both the JR station and the airport bus stop. Comfortable room, they honored the senior 60+ rate that I booked, and I got to use the laundry.

Had a wonderful time in Kanazawa.

And the first class treatment and gourmet meal from Asiana were fabulous.