Reload this Page >

What's with these journals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Irving

Are these people who are offering "Journals" of a trip they went on just want to do a good turn or are they tour guides who are looking to enhance their mailing lists? If you request a copy of their journal it must mean that you intend going to the places written about, which makes you a potential client. They seem to be entirely on the "Asia" section and most of them have that free "hotmail" address. My apologies if I'm way off base and my apologies to those of you who just want to help.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Sarah Rey

It appears that most of us who simply try and 'help' end up being accused of trying to obtain business for someone! <BR>As a teacher of Business Studies in Bangkok for a corporate company I am fortunate enough to travel the country and the region, sometimes on business, sometimes for pleasure. <BR>I have been accused of being a 'hotel tout' and even received insulting e-mails, hence I don't bother replying very much to queries, yet being in Thailand I am in an ideal situation to provide what I considor help and advice. <BR>I have read some of these journals and found them very interesting indeed. <BR>Hotmail is one of the most popular e-mail services, I see nothing strange there. I should be perhaps more 'thick-skined', but I am not. Hence I do not put my adress in posts now, not that I actually bother since being called a 'tout'! <BR>Sarah <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Anon

I received a copy of a trip report for a Baltic cruise which was enormously helpful and interesting and in turn I prepared one when I got back and sent it out to a bunch of people. <BR> <BR>There really are some folks out there who are just trying to be helpful and share their experiences, after you wade through the people trying to rent you their chateau, sell you bad art and make generalizations about and insult entire countries full of people.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:38 PM
sue

Hi, I'm sure everyone who writes these very interesting journals do so as many people[myself included] find them a tremendous help and a great insight to what lays ahead when we get to visit the country.Perhaps you should read colin's journal on his family trip to thailand, it is excellant, .A more genuine report you could'nt find.I'm sure people who have taken time to write these journals,[which make such interesting reading] would be highly insulted to read what you have to say,!!! P.S YOU ARE CERTAINLY.....WAY OFF BASE sue

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Irving

Sara and Sue: I have already apologized to the legitimate ones and I was only asking a question.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:46 PM
lynn

Hey Irving - <BR> <BR>Wanna read my Bangkok journal? <BR> <BR>I promise I won't try to sell you anything. <BR> <BR>Unless you want to buy a banner. <BR> <BR>That's what I do for a living; I make signs! I only wish I could travel and make money! <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Irving

Why are all the women out to get me? I'm not such a bad guy.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Pas

The purpose of this forum is to exchange information.If people are reluctant to do so, then the whole thing loses all usefullness.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Pauline

Irving, <BR>I think the people who offer their thoughts, on their trip, are doing a 'good turn'. I have requested & received 3 trip reports. All have been informative and all different on their reporting. <BR>I like reading the views of different people. Helps to make me, a 'newbie' traveller, more aware of what to expect or of what can happen. <BR>I for one, am grateful that these people are willing to share their experiences, warts & all. <BR>Colin's report was a real 'warts & all. <BR>Enjoyed reading the reports from Lynn, Meg & Joan....Travellers willing to share. I thank them all..

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Meg

Hello Irving - I'm not going to attack you. I assure you I'm not a travel agent. I do contract legal work from my home. I have been keeping travel journals for years. Friends started asking for copies, so I'd type a condensed version to distribute. My current journal on Thailand is actually the only one I've ever offered on this board - and I've been posting here for 4 years, I think. I like exchanging journals with other travelers to get different ideas on things. I NEVER would have stayed in the Siam Square area of Bangkok if not for Lynn Rath. I think she may be giving my preference of staying on the river a try on her next trip. It's just positive exchange. As for the hotmail account - it's not bogus. When I quit working outside my home, I didn' t have any e-mail address anymore - so I just went with hotmail. It works fine. I can access it all over the world. It's free. Who could ask for more?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Irving

I don't understand the responses I'm getting to my original post. Where have I knocked the people who send legitimate offers to read their journals? I myself have asked for one a couple of months ago. What I got back was from someone who kept insisting that the tour people they used were the best in the world. I kept telling her that I'm already all booked up but she kept telling me I should change to her guide. I'm only questioning the tour guides in India who do this to look for new business.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Diane

Of all the times I have requested someone to send me their travel journals I have received just that -- travel journals, no sales pitches. Some of the journals are more detailed than others, but I have benefited from all of them. <BR> <BR>I also prepare travel journals of my trips to Europe and have created a website not just for the journal, but to include my favorite photos to share with my friends and family. I hope I've been able to help others as much as they have helped me. <BR> <BR>Honestly, I don't know how I managed planning my trips before the internet.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:09 AM
margaret

I have received about 4 journals - thats the only time I use my real email address. The first 3 were great- lyns, Megs and Colins( on the internet and absolutely brilliant!!). The one I got recently flagged up a certain tour guide quite a lot and then asked me to say thanks through the forum so that it would be kept to the top. I didn't. (However, I may just have been a little over suspicious!)<BR>The genuine trip reports make me feel guilty that I don't post trip reports. However they have made me, for the first time, keep a trip journal- wish I'd done that a long time ago!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:29 AM
Dan Yoder

Irving, (and Margaret)You know how folks pass on info like " 18 kilos back is a good McDonalds(read 'western bathroom')"? It is a big help, and it is strictly in that spirit that I offered my 'journal'. When a large family travels it is a HUGE logistical undertaking compared to a couple of adults. My friend in Thailand made our trip very easy, I encouraged him to help other parents provide the same indigenous experience for their family, and I know he will be a GEM for someone, and probably a scource of good info for many. I am not the least bit embarrassed to help make the connection.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Marilyn

Just a note, Irving, on the email addresses. I understand your suspicion of the free hotmail addresses. However, keep in mind that people who travel frequently often use a hotmail address because they can access it from anywhere. <BR><BR>Also, while I have high speed access and an email address that I pay for, I protect the privacy of that address and the potential for spam. So I always use my hotmail address on this forum and when giving an e-address to any commercial enterprise.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:40 AM
Traveler

Yeah, Irving, and I notice you don't give YOUR email address. What'cha afraid of???? Yes, you are 'way off base.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Colin

Hi Irving,<BR><BR>I'm one of these people who has a journal on offer here. Before I visited Thailand I spent 9 months researching the destination, and reading other people's journals was a rich source of information. This is why I decided to share my travelogue.<BR><BR>Now I know your not having a go at people who have 'genuine' trip reports on offer. And I understand where you're coming from, especially if you have had a bad experience, but don't let that cloud your view of the majority of journals on offer here. Don't allow yourself to be too cynical. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:32 AM
jane

I am sure that most posters are generously sharing their experiences, but I did get nailed by a "read my journal" poster. She began forwarding information for her tour Indian Tour guide. This, too, was fine & informative until I told him I was going with a certain American tour company. At that point he berated me for giving my money to rich Americans and not helping his third world country by using his services instead. He looked up my trip and criticized the itinerary and made very derogatory comments. When I just didn't answer, the poster continued to forward to me more of the tour guide's rantings. They did stop when I told them I was offended and to not write again. I now realize why so many (me too now) give false e-mail addresses.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:03 PM
MIchaelGarvey

<BR>As far as the email addresses go, I understand. I started recieving spam after I posted here. I suspect that a few travel companies strip email addresses from some postings here.