What/where is the floating market?

Dec 29th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

What/where is the floating market?

I'll be in BKK next week and have been reading everyone's comments, which have been quite helpful. I've read many postings that refer to the floating market in BKK. What exactly is it and how do I get there?

Thanks!
Dec 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM

it is primarily a vegetable market about 1 1/2 hours ride outside of bkk...it is well worth a trip...the best way to get there is to hire a taxi or a private car service..the trip takes about 1/2 day....besdies the veggies on sale ---all being sold from boats---thus floating market---there are the usual thai tourist crap for sale...some good some not so good...

you can also go by train but i think you would find that a hastle....there are also organized tours there but you will see much more on your own...many of us hire ratt or julie to take us there...

many feel this is a tourist trap but many more of us feel it is worthwhile..
Dec 29th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I subscribe to the minority opinion regarding Damnoen Saduak. The souvenirs that you see there can be had in Bangkok. In Bangkok the stuff is in better condition. At DS, the souvenirs sit outside all day next to a creek. It is an ok stop on the way to Kanchanaburi.
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Are we in the minority, MrW? I find the market a total tourist trap...
Dec 29th, 2005, 04:34 PM

I'm sure you can find many more pictures on the web, but here's one site that gives both pictures and a little bit of info:

http://www.bangkoksite.com/Ratchabur...ingMarket1.htm
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM

The idea of spending half a day to visit this place is what sounds like a trap to me. I'm sure it's neat and all, but half a day?
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I haven't been there yet, but my take is that - like all else - it's very much an individual decision. Yes, it looks touristy. But to me it also appears to yield a wealth of photo ops and an opportunity to see something I've never seen the likes of before. I'm guessing it will be a one-time thing and if (when?) I go back to Thailand, I probably wouldn't do it again. But on a first visit, I can't pass it by! I'm guessing the same can be said of lots of touristy attractions, and it's up to each of us to pick and choose what appeals. No way would I spend any time at a snake farm or an orchid farm. (Scared of snakes, not into orchids!) Others would find them fascinating. Bob told me a bamboo raft ride would be boring - but he didn't talk me into skipping it! On ther other hand, he suggested the lady-boy show, and hey, that sounds awesome! I'll be there. Bottom line: Viva la difference!
(And I'll report back on all my experiences when I return at the end of February!)
Karen
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I am definitely going to visit the floating market, tourist trap or not.

The Eiffel Tower, The Oktoberfest, The Roman Forum, The Hagia Sophia, The Sagrada Familia, etc. are also all tourist traps and that has never stopped me from going to those attractions.

The reason that places become tourist traps is that they are interesting, right? I didn't regret going to any of the above places and many others (except the Leaning Tower of Pisa!).

I plan on hiring a driver to get us there before the tour buses arrive. I will report back upon my return! I promise to give an honest opinion of my experience.

Cheers!

Dec 29th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Karen! You and I were typing at the same time and we are definitely on the same wave length!

I have a feeling we will hit it off and have a grand time having a drink together at the lady boy show! Looking forward to it!
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Yes, I thought the same thing - we must have been typing the same general ideas at the same time! We'll have a great time at the show. It seems like the kind of thing that would be more fun to do with a foursome than a twosome! Can't wait.
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:28 PM

We went 11 years ago...But I think we will go again when we go to BKK in March..I really liked riding the long tail boats, and it gets you out of the city for the day!! I just hated the flower garden (or whatever it is called..that i am not going to see again!!)
Dec 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM

euro has said it best....the eiffel tower is a tourist trap and so is the grand palace and buckingham palace and the empire state building, but think if you had not visited them???????????????????

some people just think they are purists....why go anywhere if you don't want to appear to be a tourist...??
Dec 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM

I don't mind being a tourist, Bob, but I don't like being trapped.

I agree that some places attract a lot of tourists because they are special. Most of the places listed by Euro and Bob I would not consider tourist traps.

I am perhaps being a bit harsh about the floating market, but truly it doesn't interest me.
Dec 29th, 2005, 08:27 PM

We went and visited the floating market a couple of months ago. We had Rat [a driver in BKK who is commonly referred to in this forum] take us for a whole day.

Yes it is a wee bit tourisy but not too bad, there are many types of long boats you can hire and we chose the non motor option which was cheaper but more fun.

Apparently there are several places where you can get a long boat so do your homework and make sure you dont pay too much!

Warning: we wouldnt recommend eating any of the noodles/food that are being served on the canal, every boat we went past had flys all over the uncovered meats and when a tourist boat came close, they would shoo away the flys!
Dec 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM

We found the floating market colorful and interesting. We also enjoyed the boat ride through the canals. We saw how the people live on the canals and went to a temple also. We took many beautiful pictures. We hired a car with a driver and he also took us to the Rose Garden. This was a real tourist trap. They had a show with dances and a wedding. Elephant show was OK, but we felt it was a waste of time. All the tours go there so we figured, why not. Loved Thailand.
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM

I don't mind being a tourist at all and I am not recommending that you NOT go to the floating market. I went there expecting it to be a tourist trap and it was. It was part of a day trip away from Bangkok that included a visit to Kanchanaburi.

One of my photos from the trip shows the bottom of a banner that was on the side of a bridge. It said, in ENGLISH:
"Damnoensaduak Floatingmarket Thailand"
so I didn't consider the place to be authentic.

It is an ok stop, but if I were to recommend going there or not (as the only destination of a half-day trip), I would have to know the person, their interests, and their itinerary.

Going to the floating market is one of the things that Bangkok tourists do. If that is what Bob and e.t. meant when comparing the floating market to other places, ok. I did my duty as a tourist.

When in Istanbul, tourists go to the Haghia Sophia and tourist trinkets are sold nearby. It is not a tourist trap, it is a masterpiece of 6th century Byzantine architecture with mosaics that the Ottomans preserved after they converted the building to a mosque in the 15th century. It is part of the global human heritage. It is unique and there is no substitute for it.

The Eiffel Tower is the symbol of Paris. During it's lifetime billions of people have learned (by age 10?) to identify it. You know how some city tourist maps show a drawing of the main attractions at their locations on the map? If you were to make one of Europe, it would have the Eiffel Tower on it (along with, maybe, Buckingham Palace).
Dec 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM

i guess i could add that the floating market at DS is unique to thailand so that makes it a destination in my mind....when i compare it to the river kwai area i see no comparison....i found the river boring and a waste of time....glad i did it but would never go back and i like history...