Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What was the one piece of clothing or shoes you were glad you brought on your trip to Thailand/Cambodoia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-was-the-one-piece-of-clothing-or-shoes-you-were-glad-you-brought-on-your-trip-to-thailand-cambodoia-298695/)

jgg Feb 5th, 2008 09:25 AM

What was the one piece of clothing or shoes you were glad you brought on your trip to Thailand/Cambodoia?

We leave next month and are very light packers. I have agreed to throw fashion out the door for this trip in lieu of comfort and coolness. Wondering what your favorite thing was that you brought and what you brought that you rarely used. I am a woman, but suggestions for hubby would be helpful as well.

Will also be travelling with our kids (daughter - age 15 and son age 12), any suggestions for them from people who have travelled with tweens/teens would be helpful as well. Is it okay for my son to wear khaki shorts in BKK (aside from the temples?) What about the sport shorts? I assume they would be cooler - but too casual?

Thanks for the help!!

Guenmai Feb 5th, 2008 09:46 AM

I could never be without my Ex-Officio shirts that have outer and inner pockets. I won't even pack them in checked luggage. I keep them close to me in my carry-on suitcase. Those are the only travel clothing items that I can't imagine living without. Oh, and also my Travel Smith shirt that has an inner pocket long enough to stick my plane ticket/passport in. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Feb 5th, 2008 09:47 AM

kid would be fine with shorts...but he needs chinos as well for dinner...

my wife's fav item is loose fitting crop linen pants with drawstring waist....cool, easy for laundry and who cares about the wrinkles...

chinos for the dad and polo type shirts....

no sneakers---way toooooo hot

LynnieD Feb 5th, 2008 10:20 AM

I will never again travel without either a lightweight poncho or an umbrella.

I have been poured on in Eastern Europe and Northern Thailand in the past 3 months due to my "light packing"

ileen Feb 5th, 2008 10:32 AM

Always carry a wash cloth or a small towel in your purse at all times. Often if you have to wash hands there are no paper towels. Also sanitized hand cleaner in tiny bottle or disposable wipes.

Kristina Feb 5th, 2008 11:25 AM

Happy to have; closed toe shoes. I wore mostly lightweight, slip on tennis shoes. Never wore my sandals. Too easy to trip over uneven pavement and tree roots. I did it so many times I would have broken a toe if wearing sandals.

Didn't wear; tank tops and sleeveless shirts. I stuck to t-shirts instead because I wanted a little extra coverage against the sun and mosquitos.

Gpanda Feb 5th, 2008 12:35 PM

I concur with Guenmai, the ex-officio lightweight shirts are indispensible. Remember to bring a sun hat.

thursdaysd Feb 5th, 2008 01:06 PM

The best item is one I bought there - lightweight cotton pants. Synthetics are way too hot.

julies Feb 5th, 2008 01:31 PM

We were doing active things which made it even hotter. Before we left I had bought neck scarves on-line filled with some sort of a gel. You soaked the scarves in water for a few minutes, and the gel expanded to keep you cool for hours. Marvelous way to stay a little cooler. I think the company (blue something I believe) also has hats.

I agree with the no synthetics piece of advice.

My husband laughed when I bought them for him, but he was ultimately glad to have the capri length pair of pants for him. They were a nice substitute when he didn't want shorts but would have died of the heat in long pants.

kimberlyb Feb 5th, 2008 01:38 PM

This is very helpful. We will be in Thailand for the first time in April and understand it's the hottest month.

Any store or online suggestions where we can find these things (ex oficio, etc)? I live in So. California and thought adventure stores (REI or Adventure 16) might be good ideas, but most of the lightweight clothes I've found so far are nylon.

BostonHarbor Feb 5th, 2008 04:38 PM

Hi jgg,

The piece of clothing I wore over and over again (besides the exofficio shirts that I also can't live without) is a $30 shirt I got online from India. I wore it during the day with a white t-shirt and in the evening, it was stunning with a black t-shirt and a belt. Here is a picture of it: http://photo-url.com/skirt I bought it from Aimcraft.com http://photo-url.com/Aimcraft It is both cool and nice looking.

Of any piece of clothing I have ever traveled with, I have never had a piece of clothing I have enjoyed as much as this skirt. Rolls up, works anywhere. I never wore skirts traveling before. I am now hooked.

Also, Teva "rugged 2" leather sandals. Heaven. Blessedly comfortable. Not one minute of breaking in required. Cool. Good looking. Ah.....

BostonHarbor Feb 5th, 2008 04:53 PM

I meant $30 SKIRT, not shirt :-)

Gpanda Feb 5th, 2008 05:00 PM

REI will have Ex Officio shirts, but you can buy them onlione. Take a look at the bargain items on the Ex Officio website. You might also look at EBAY for new shirts. Get the ones with long sleeves that roll up so you can button them into short sleeve. This allows you to ride in boats on the river when it can get sort of cool. These shirts are very cleverly vented.

Guenmai Feb 5th, 2008 05:28 PM

Kimberly...I also live in S.Calif...You can get Ex-officio shirts at distantlands.com....magellans.com...travelsmith.co m... and ex-officio I think still has a website...that company has gone through so many changes until who knows. Happy Travels!

Dianne47 Feb 5th, 2008 10:18 PM

Agree with posts about ExOfficio clothing. They have an insect repellent line that includes shirts and bandanas, excellent.

"Temple sox" are indispensable in Thailand. I buy cheap low-ankle black sox at Target and put them on after shoe removal at temples. Keeps the feet clean.

My "uniform" in SEA includes a sleeveless shell top, topped with a longsleeved (sun protection) very lightweight shirt, worn unbuttoned to catch breezes. This is worn with travel pants or capris. Add sun hat, sandals, and small purse worn cross-body style.

Several pairs of pants/capris, shells, and shirts should all be mix/match for lightweight packers. Happy trails!

jgg Feb 6th, 2008 05:52 AM

Thanks guys these are all great suggestions!! Keep them coming. Particularly like the "temple socks" idea hadn't thought of that.

Craig Feb 6th, 2008 07:48 AM

I bring a couple pairs of extremely lightweight trousers with front zipper pockets for my wallet. Also, a pair of sturdy Tevas...

AskOksana Feb 6th, 2008 01:14 PM

I live in L.A., there is a Magellan's in Santa Monica... but I recommend the 100% cotton, voile or gauze baby doll/peasant blouse tops that are so popular now.

They still have them leftover in the clearance areas at Marshall's & Ross for about $10 & they are loose, hip length & can be worn over skirts, shorts or pants. I stocked up a few weeks ago & just got the NEW Victoria's Secret catalog & I was amazed that their entire line is all baby doll tops in silk/cotton or cotton w/ walking shorts!

I found it funny that I was buying last summer's tops that are now stylish in VS!

Your husband needs a short sleeved Hawaiian style SILK shirt if you plan to go out for a nice dinner. They are easy to hand wash, dry fast & cool iron & pack well & are very cool for humid weather.

Magellan's sells a spray for clothing to repel mosquitoes.

Do not spray DEET on synthetics, they melt.

I find loose cotton baby doll/peasant blouses much cooler than cotton t-shirts, because they are looser & lightweight.

simpsonc510 Feb 6th, 2008 01:44 PM

Shoes that I can wear with socks!! I'm in Bangkok right now, and my feet are reminding me that I should not be wearing sandals all the time. I'm getting blisters..ugh

Socks are pretty much one-size and I guarantee you, the Thai foot size is much smaller than my US feet! So I will have to wash and wash and wash the couple pairs I did manage to bring along!

I'll also be back in BKK in April. Yes, it's supposed to be the hottest month.

cmenoni Feb 6th, 2008 03:02 PM

Ecco shoes that I can walk in all day everywhere - and a sarong (which doubles as a jacket, scarf, beach cover-up, housecoat, bathrobe, beachtowel, umbrella, tablecloth, shade blocker, bath towel, seat cover, sweat rag, temple cover, seat cushion, pillow, curtain, etc.