Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What to see in 4 days ? within reach of singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-to-see-in-4-days-within-reach-of-singapore-807500/)

Markse26 Sep 24th, 2009 01:01 AM

What to see in 4 days ? within reach of singapore

I am working for a week in singapore in november then will have 4 days free to do the travel thing - I have never been to this part of the world before - what do people suggest ? - I can fly , and I prefer adventure, nature, culture not beaches - not necessarily in that order or all at once !

thanks

mark

HappyMom32 Sep 24th, 2009 03:05 AM

Singapore's Tiger airways has cheap air fares to neighboring countries.

For culture it is easiest to visit Malaysia by coach - Malacca, KL or Penang. Or you can fly to Bangkok or Hanoi. 4 days should be adequate to visit any of these cities.

MichaelBKK Sep 24th, 2009 03:52 AM

There are lots of possibilities just a two hour flight away: Bangkok, Penang, Siem Reap, Saigon, etc. If you only have four days, you should pick only one. Siem Reap might give you a good combination of adventure, nature and culture, although four days is just barely enough to do it.

Another option would be Yokyakarta in Indonesia, where you can see the Prambanan, Borobodur, and maybe take in a white-water rafting trip.

Cicerone Sep 24th, 2009 04:13 AM

Well, without having to fly, my first suggestion would be the same as above: to look at Malaysia, just over the causeway from Singapore, which you can reach by car, bus or train. At that time of year, I would say to avoid the east coast of Malaysia as it is prone to heavy rain. You may also find this to be the case in the rain forest areas of central Malaysia like Taman Negara, but look at some websites and guide books. (It rains a lot in a rain forest anyway, so perhaps this does not bother you and may offer the actives you are seeking). You could look at the west coast of Malaysia, such as a place like Malacca for colonial Portuguese architecture and history. There are also inland tea plantation areas like the Genting Highlands or Fraiser's Hill, again look at weather there, should be OK in November. You can do hikes and walks in this area. I would probably avoid most of Borneo, as you will have rain issues in November, but look at weatherbase.com and guidebooks and see what you think. Certainly climing Mt Kinabalu would be a good activiity, I am just not sure that November is the best weather for it.

Otherwise for places where you would need to fly, I would say to look at Bali, and go to the interior hill areas rather than the beaches. A magical place, and 4 days would give you a little bit of a taste of it. There are other options in Indonesia like Jogjakarta, which would offer some sightseeing (Borobudur in particular as mentioned above) and then a chance to get out to the countryside. Get a guidebook and do some reading, lots of options in Bali and Indonesia generally, most fairly easily reached by air from Singapore.

You could also certainly go to Thailand, issue there will be where to choose to go with such a limited time. Bangkok is a great city and absolutely worth the trip, I am not sure if you want a city – quite different from Singapore and lots to do and see. But there are country options as well, further north in places like Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Get a guidebook and do some reading, Thailand offers many options.

A place like Ankor Wat or Luang Prabang would certainly be an ideal place for 3-4 days and offers a good bit to see and do. I am sure outdoor activities can be pursued in either, I don’t have a lot of personal knowledge, but guidebooks, websites and other posters here may have suggestions.

You might also consider the Philippines, and in interior rice paddy areas like Baguio. May be harder for only 4 days, but weather is very good then, and lots of outdoor oppportunities. Not many tourists at all.

I also have to throw Hong Kong into the mix, because it offers a lot of hiking/walking and countryside areas (the hype in guidebooks is all about the shopping but don’t believe all that, there is a lot more). Plus November is just about our nicest month here weather-wise – dry, sunny, temps in the 70s F. You could also look into flying back to the US from Hong Kong and save backtracking (this should not cost you any more than going back from Singapore).

AsiaExpert Sep 24th, 2009 04:30 AM

There's a pretty good online-guide where you can find plenty of suggestions for self-guided tours in Singapore (including places which the "ordinary tourist" do not usually visit): http://www.metropolasia.com/Singapore_Tours_Attractions

easytraveler Sep 24th, 2009 06:56 AM

I'd suggest going for history and culture first, Angkor Wat in Cambodia or Borobudur in Indonesia.

If history or culture doesn't appeal, then try for Bangkok and Thailand beaches - although rain, as mentioned, might be a problem.

rhkkmk Sep 24th, 2009 07:10 AM

personally i would fly up to bangkok for a completely different feel of asia

rhkkmk Sep 24th, 2009 07:10 AM

fly air asia or tiger or thai

Kathie Sep 24th, 2009 07:28 AM

I'd opt for central Java - Silk Air flies into Solo.

Another option would be the Georgetown area of Penang If you click on my name, you'll find a list of my trip reports including one on Penang.

Bangkok is my favorite city in the world, but for a first trip, I'd want more time there.

Markse26 Sep 28th, 2009 03:12 PM

thankyou all very much for your helpful replies. You have given me some great ideas to start off researching. I was thinking of BangKok as could get it as stopover on my return flight so you all seem to rate that - maybe I'll get to go again and can try all these other great sounding places too.

jcontreras Sep 29th, 2009 03:10 PM

Pls. also check on Silk Air site. This regional airline (part of Singapore Airlines) has a bunch of nice destinations. I dont thinks this is a low cost (e.g. Air Asia or Tiger) but ok. You can fly to Central Vietman (nice cultural area which Im considering for 2010), Central Java (to Solo airport), Luangprabang in Laos, or even to South India/Kerala. You have lot of alternatives!