Fresh water parasites?

Search

Fresh water parasites?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Fresh water parasites?

Hi, several countries we're going to be visiting like Cambodia & Bali have waterfalls or hot springs where you can swim in them. Do we need to be concerned about giardia or parasites, or whatever you can get from swimming in fresh water? Please advise.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO you just have to be careful where you're swimming or wading. If the river or lake is flowing and does not look dirty or stagnant then you should be fine.

I've water ski, done rafting, swim and walk(wade) in rivers around Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Bali and the worst that had happen to me was leeches. Again if the water looks dirty or murky then avoid.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Giardia is from drinking contaminated water - so don't drink the water at the falls or hot springs, etc.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM

Bali has a lot of water borne infectious disease but as far as I know you have to drink the water or get stung by an infected mosquito to be affected. I've never heard of anyone contracting disease by simply being IN the water.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
I was thinking of schistosomiasis that we were warned about swimming in fresh water streams in some Caribbean countries. Apparently it's common in tropical and subtropical parts of the world, but Hanuman, you're right...it's mostly from contaminated water. But how would we know?
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM

My family and I love to stop and bathe in roadside wildrness waterfall pools and rivers etc. The problem is real and exists even here in Sri Lanka. You should always check with the locals wheter it is safe for swimming/bathing before plunging into a beautiful wild river or water fall pool. Infections are generally rare but you need to be aware.