Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What to do with my two weeks? (arrival next Sunday) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-to-do-with-my-two-weeks-arrival-next-sunday-1020141/)

mrnmrqsc Jul 15th, 2014 04:13 PM

What to do with my two weeks? (arrival next Sunday)

Here's the deal. I have 2weeks between my arrival in Bangkok and my departing to Myanmar. This will happen 20July.
I have a budget of about 100$ per day for both me and my boyfriend.

The thing is, I never went to Thailand. But for some reason, maybe because the rainy season, Thailand does not attract me at all. And it's hard for me to say "well I never went and I don't have much time, I will just stay put' because I've been saving a lot for this trip since I'm still studying.

I like the idea of going to Laos, but the flights are too expensive for our budget, and such an huge expense would reflect in our daily budget for the rest of the trip and we don't want to be too restrain, not as much in terms of accommodation but for activities.

My two options were: going to Laos doing a loop via chiang mai and nong khai
or going to siem reap + khao sok in Thailand.

I really would love to go to Laos because it's a country were I feel will change more with the next years than Thailand for example.

Is it insane with my time frame + rainy season to fit Laos? Just the Luang Prabang + Nong Khiaw + Muang Ngoi area but traveling overland with a night stop at Vang Vieng.

Prachuap Jul 15th, 2014 04:56 PM

It doesnt rain all day everyday. Most days are sunny 90% of the time. Showers tend to last an hour or 2. Some days no rain.

2 weeks is a short time for 2 countries.

Laos is basically a quieter version of Thailand with less to do.

You didnt list your interests.

Choosing place x over place y should depend on your interests.

Also to see a city or a province you need multiple days like 3,4,5. Staying for 1 or 2 days is merely passing thru and missing out on the good bits.

If you want to see Khao Sok you could travel overland down then fly back from Krabi or Nakhon Si Thammarat (less tourists than places in Laos).

Bus or train to Prachuap Khiri Khan 2 nights. Train to Surat then bus to Khao Sok 3 nights. Bus to Krabi or Nakhon 4 nights. Fly back to Bangkok. Stay in Bangkok or visit Kanchanaburi 2 nights.

If you want to see Cambodia I would skip Khao Sok and just do Cambodia. Jumping around too much will add to costs.

The waterfalls and jungle areas are more lush in low season. Only thing with Khao Sok one of the caves there maybe closed due to water filling it up. Other activities will be available.

Kathie Jul 15th, 2014 05:06 PM

How much time do you have in Myanmar? If you only have, say, a week, then I'd suggest adding at least some of this two weeks to your time in Myanmar.

As I read it you have two weeks between your arrival in Bangkok and your departure to Myanmar. That is certainly enough time to visit Laos overland (no flight).

Siem Reap is another good option. But if you are thinking of going overland, do read the info at www.talesofasia.com There are now cheap flights to Cambodia from Thailand.

mrnmrqsc Jul 15th, 2014 05:21 PM

A quieter version is what I'm looking for. I do like calm places if they're beautiful I don't need a full day of activities. Your itinerary is very beach orientated and not really what I'm looking forward.

I already booked my flights to myanmar and I have 9 full days there. will do probably 3 inle lake + 4 bagan + 2 yangon.
I do have two weeks, 14 full days, but I still have to arrange my visa to Myanmar. That would mean I have to lose some time in Bangkok. Will probably arrange my visa before going to Laos at the beginning of my trip. My flight to Burma is on a Monday and on the weekends the embassy it's closed and since I like to leave a bit of a margin on my schedule before a flight since I'll be travelling overland I'll have to add also a day at the end.

I can't really say with certain my interests but I like to feel out of my comfort zone but not so much, I love nature and peaceful places.

Have you two been to Laos? What do you think about the country? It attracts me so much but I don't hear a lot of people recommending in this forum.

simpsonc510 Jul 15th, 2014 05:22 PM

Since you are flying into Bangkok, and you've never been there before, you should at least give it a couple of days. You just might really like it! Then head north and visit Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and on to Laos.

As has been mentioned, rainy season does not mean rain all day, everyday. I'm off to Bangkok in a couple of days, for just under two weeks. I have been many times and look forward to each and every return visit. Rain will not dampen my spirits, nor will it keep me cooped up inside.

I hope you have a great time!

Prachuap Jul 15th, 2014 05:29 PM

You could fly to Ubon on a plane-bus combo that goes into southern Laos. Nok Air offers this and is cheap. Southern Laos is quiet. Ubon and Khong Chiam in Thailand are cool quiet spots.

Or you could fly to Udon Thani then bus to Nong Khai on the border then cross into Laos. Nong Khai is a quiet border town that offers some attractions.

Check Air Asia and Nok Air for cheap flights.

Either of these 2 options are doable.

simpsonc510 Jul 15th, 2014 05:29 PM

Mrnmrqsc... we were posting at the same time!

Regarding your comfort zone, S E Asia is definitely "not in Kansas" so it does seem 3rd worldly, exotic.... but most of the people are really lovely and they want you to enjoy your visit. Some of the biggest smiles I have ever seen are on the faces of Thai people when I tell them that I really like their city/country.

Prachuap Jul 15th, 2014 05:41 PM

Google Khong Chiam. Very peaceful place a short hop from Laos. One of my fav off the beaten path places.

mrnmrqsc Jul 15th, 2014 05:44 PM

Prachuap: I've seen those packages offered by nok air! Since is my first time I would probably want to try out the night train in Thailand! Either to Chiang mai or Nong khai. Even though I would love to see Champasak and Konglor cave for an homestay I think the northern landscape attracts me more.

simpsonc510: I'm so excited with my trip I can't even sleep at night!! :)
I actually like the rainy/cloudy days sometimes, they tend to make me more relaxed than full on sunshine. So happy to hear people are so nice, that does make all the difference while travelling. I bet I will like bangkok! We love to eat! Any tips for a first timer? i.e. places not to miss and area to stay?

I should probably try to calm down my excitement and sleep now since it's almost 3am here in Portugal! Thanks everyone!

Prachuap Jul 15th, 2014 05:53 PM

You can also fly into Nakhon Phanom then cross into Laos. Nearby Sakon Nakhon is famous for people who eat dogs.

PaganiPilot Jul 15th, 2014 06:25 PM

Mr- research bangkok hard before u go. It is a tremendously exciting city with a ton of fun things to do. If you don't dive in fully u will regret doing so, I guarantee it! Don't make the huge mistake of discounting this fabulous city.

LancasterLad Jul 15th, 2014 11:45 PM

@mrnmrqsc<<<Since is my first time I would probably want to try out the night train in Thailand! Either to Chiang mai or Nong khai.>>>

Do it! And choose the Nong Khai train from Bangkok if you want to get into Laos quickly. The overnight trains, infact any train journey is all part of the Thai experience, and will live much longer in your memory than [just another] bus or aeroplane ride.

Overnight sleeper tickets go on sale 60 days before the departure date, and then can and do get snapped in bulk by tour operators...

http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm

It's worth stopping in Nong Khai for a couple of nights before crossing The Friendship Bridge into Laos...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=No...w=1024&bih=653

Nong Khai is sat right on the banks of the Meekong, and is a very laid back, clean and safe border town. A great and inexpensive place to stay is The Mutmee...

http://www.mutmee.com/

mrnmrqsc Jul 16th, 2014 09:04 AM

@LancasterLad Do you think I need to prebook the overnight train for 22 July? If I don't need to, how early should I get to the train station?
Thanks for the tips on Nong khai. By your description sounds like a place I should like!

I'm trying to decide which way I should go, entering Vientiane and exiting Huai Xai or the other way around. Is there any advantage over the other besides the river current in the mekong? I don't think I want to do the two days in the mekong.
(I just found out this way is possible: http://talesofpi.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/ 2n1d with boat just the second day if someone is interested but I might go via Luang Namtha by bus)

Flying into Nakhon Phanom would be a great idea if I had a few more days to add somewhere in bolaven plateau and kong lor. With my time I will stick with nong khai that actually sounds appealing to me.

The problem I have with bangkok is that the fact that it is so big, with so much to see, I actually get a bit overwhelmed while researching. Any idea where I should stay in Bangkok? I would like somewhere lively with street food and markets close by, I don't want to stay in the Khao san area, I wish to stay somewhere I could get a real feel of the city. Any tips on places not to miss in a first visit? I don't want to spend all my time inside temples and museums so which are best one? I will definitely go to wat arun but that's the only one I'm sure I will visit.

LancasterLad Jul 16th, 2014 12:32 PM

mrnmrqsc

To guarantee an overnight sleeper berth I'd book as soon as my intentions were firm. I v.much doubt you'll get a sleeper berth by simply turning up.

I had a bad back, and so we flew out of Luang Prabang rather than taking the slow boat to Huay Xai. But thousands of folk do the journey in either direction by slow boat every year, so why not either give it a go, or if in doubt ask the same question on Trip Advisor.

In Bangkok, I prefer to stay by the river, and for my budget the area close to Pier 13 suits me fine. The area is Banglamphu, v.close to Khao San, but it's not Khao San, unless you want it to be. It's a large area, many of the tourist sights are close-by, not too much bling, and it's easy to dip into and dip out of.

I find places like Siam and Sukhumvit totally false and absolutely boring.

mrnmrqsc Jul 16th, 2014 01:40 PM

I had no idea it was like that at all!! I thought the khao san area was the worst and more fake. I'm kinda glad it's not all that actually because in terms of accommodation it looks like it has good guesthouses. Thanks!

Do you think buying to the next day at the train station is still too close? I was hopping that the low season would help with this.

Prachuap Jul 16th, 2014 06:06 PM

Khao san is very fake. Dont stay there.

Wat arun is good.

Street food is everywhere. For ease of travel its best to stay near skytrain.

Siam has a lot of street food and lots of Thais go there. More real than ksr.

I would pick a hotel close to Siam near the skytrain. Victory is another good area.

See booking.com for ideas.

simpsonc510 Jul 16th, 2014 06:15 PM

I am heading back to Sukhumvit, my favorite Bangkok area. I will spend my time around soi 8 to 21. I have many friends in this area, so it's always nice to return there. Flying tomorrow! Whoop whoop! My home away from home is Adelphi Suites on soi 8.

No Khao San Road for me.

Prachuap Jul 16th, 2014 06:50 PM

Becareful. Soi 23 is dangerous. Dont go over the line.

PaganiPilot Jul 16th, 2014 07:06 PM

Hi Carol. What is it that u like so much about Bkk specifically? Do u get bored at all at the end of a trip?

LancasterLad Jul 16th, 2014 11:36 PM

Yep, don't stay ON Khao San.
But Banglamphu is quite a big area, and easy enough to navigate on foot.
We like being by the river, and our favourite mid-range hotel is the New Siam Riverside on Thanon Phra Athit...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e-Bangkok.html

Ignore the poor reviews, probably posted by competitor, or people with a grudge, which is often the case on TA.

Pier 13 for the public ferries is v.close. The only problem with the ferries is that they stop at about 1900. But by then you'll have had a long enough day, and there are plenty of affordable restaurants and safe bars in the area, it's vibrant, no girlie bars, or red-faced fat bellied coffin-dodging western men, and there's no need to go anywhere near Khao San if you don't want to.

So far as booking your train sleeper ticket goes, The earlier you book it more chance you have. You can have the tickets delivered to your hotel for a small(ish) fee. Have a look at the Seat61 link I posted earlier in the thread, and scroll down to "How to buy tickets from outside Thailand".