Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   WHAT TO DO IN SINAPORE (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-to-do-in-sinapore-179254/)

LEANNA Aug 22nd, 2001 11:21 AM

WHAT TO DO IN SINAPORE

Have searched the archives but not found what I want. What are some neat sites to see and experience in Singapore??? I like museums, palaces, history, etc. I plan on going to Raffles of course....but what else to do??? Are there interesting day tours out of the city I can book??? Thanks!

Mary Anne Cook Aug 22nd, 2001 01:35 PM

We stayed near Fort Canning. There is an interesting old Armenian church and grave yard as you walk around this park. We found the Asian Civilization Museum interesting. Also the National Museum is nearby. The Botanic Gardens with orchids named for important people in history is beautiful. I wish we had gotten to the Jurong Bird park. The Little India section of the city is very colorful. There is a mosque there that is the largest in Singapore. The New Ming Village and Pewter Museum produces porcelin from the Ming and Qing dynasties. Singapore is a lovely city. Enjoy!

LEANNA Aug 22nd, 2001 06:37 PM

Mary Ann...thanks!!!! Ok....copied all this down. Sounds like the kind of place where you can wander on your own and see the sites!!! I like that. I have sched. real tour thingys in Bangkok and of course will be on a tour in China. But Singapore will be fun to see on my own..and it sounds like I can. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Ursula Aug 22nd, 2001 11:31 PM

Leanna: <BR>Yes, the Raffles is a must. Went there to have a look around and a drink at the Long Bar (that's the name, if I remember well). <BR>Went also to the Orchid Garden, Jurong Bird Park and the Singapore Zoo. Found all this much more interesting than all the shopping centers. <BR>Did not have time for the Little India area which I regret. <BR>Skip Sentosa. From what I hear, it's kind of an articifial amusement park, nothing to do with Asian way of life. <BR>Singapore is amazingly clean and very modern (a little too much for my personal taste). Don't drop any litter! I found Singa kind of a mixture between a Western and an Asian style city. Also, I think Singa is a very safe city. It's easy to get around with the MTS? (Mass Transport System, I think). But you will find Bangkok and China a lot different, more Asian. <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Audrey Aug 23rd, 2001 12:50 AM

As a Singaporean (living overseas now), I feel I have to contribute a little :) <BR>I showed my boyfriend Singapore last summer. In addition to the places mentioned above by other users (which we didn't visit..he wasn't interested in museams and flowers...men!), you have to also visit Clarke Quay and Boat Quay for the nightlife. I advise having dinner at Clarke Quay and drinks after at Boat Quay (just a short walk away). I did bring him to Sentosa (it is a touristic location and more expensive) simply because its name is kinda synonymous with Singapore. We spent a whole day there and it was quite entertaining. Don't miss out the (free) musical fountain/laser show in the evening and grab a seat early. Oh...don't forget to see the Singapore River (nothing impressive..but a "should see" thing in Singapore) and the Merlion of course. Transportation is easy with the MRT (subway).I advise buying a value ticket of $10SIN at the station office if you are planning on using it a lot. It's cheaper than buying a single trip ticket. When the value is low, you just top it up again at the office. If the station is not close to where you want to go, just catch a taxi (only a few Singapore dollars). As for food, the simplest advice I can give is: food courts. The food there are reasonably priced and you are always spoiled for choice. You can find these anwhere. And oh yes, don't forget the shopping :) Have fun!

LEANNA Aug 23rd, 2001 06:40 PM

Hey everybody THANK YOU!!!! I have copied all this down in my notes...and I think I'll just make a list and hit as many of these places as I can..rather like I do in London! I'm more set up for Bangkok w/ organized tours...and of course after 24 days in China and the Yangtze,it would be nice to just be freer but still see stuff. Again..thanks!!!! :)

wayne Aug 23rd, 2001 08:01 PM

hi leanna, <BR>i'm living in singapore.i will recommend you night sites since the other threads are more 'daytime'. <BR>1. i'm surprised nobody mentioned mohammed sultan road, the hottest place for pub-hopping and nightlife.they have about 20 pubs and restaurants there for the 20-somethings. boat quay is outdated and is a place for teenagers, altho it's in a very nice river setting. <BR>2.the renovated convent school called chijmes (city hall mrt) beside raffles hotel is very nice at night for its restaurants and pubs. <BR>3.if you like up-market dining, club street (raffles place mrt) can't be beat. they have italian, french, spanish, asian, japanese and local r'rants there. <BR>4.orchard road,(orchard mrt) for its lights and energy.and of course, <BR>5.nite safari, the best in the world. <BR> <BR>oh ya on weekends, don't forget to visit the botanic gardens in the evenings (6pm) or early mornings (before 10am) when it is cool.you'll appreciate the oasis of tranquility. feel free to ask more if you need. <BR>

LEANNA Aug 24th, 2001 07:37 PM

Thanks Wayne!! I think I need about 8 more hours each day huh??!!! :)

singaporelover Aug 27th, 2001 12:32 AM

topping for CJ.