Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What's the best way to get from Phuket to Koh Samui (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-s-the-best-way-to-get-from-phuket-to-koh-samui-473173/)

nstroh Sep 9th, 2004 10:54 AM

What's the best way to get from Phuket to Koh Samui

What is the best way to get from one side to the other... is it worth it to take a ferry or a bus? Or we must fly there?
Thanks

JamesA Sep 9th, 2004 02:38 PM

Flights with Bangkok Airways take about 40 minutes. You can get regular a/con buses from Phuket town 'thru' to Koh Samui, it's about 5 hours to Surat Thani and the pier at Don Suk and then a leisurely boat trip. It really depends whether you simply want a quick flight hop or would enjoy seeing something of the country and a nice boat trip. The scenary on the bus ride is quite good but it really is down to whether you would enjoy a bus and boat trip or you simply want to get from A to B

nstroh Sep 9th, 2004 02:48 PM

James,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes. If the scenary is worth it we were considering taking the long way. However, if it's five hours on a bus and then a boat trip, I am not sure if it will be a bit too much... Can we decide there or do we need to book ahead of time?

JamesA Sep 9th, 2004 03:03 PM

You can decide once you are there unless you are looking at say Dec 20 through to end Jan when the flights can be heavily booked up. I drive thr route often, naturally it's different in a Station Wagon than a bus. The buses are a/con and quite Ok but it's quite a journey but the scenary is OK. It's a standard road once you leave Phuket, flat, but winds around and some nice scenary, typing this I've realised of course you have a 3rd alternative, that is to get a car+driver to take you to the pier near Surat and then you can get the boat from there, or the faster but not so comfortable boats from center of Surat Thani.
Yup, I think that's they way to go, no need for him to put the car on the boat but tell him you want him to sort your tickets for you as he will get it done quicker. Ask your reception desk at your Phuket hotel, they all have people they use on a regular basis, then you can make a day of it, start around breakfast and take a leisurely drive, stop on the way, take some photos, would be nice and pleasant. Should csost ball-park about US$100 for the car+driver, that is going to costs you for 2 personts the same as flying but you would I think enjoy the chance to see some of the local villages etc especially if all your other travel is on flights, I would say hit the road and stop a few times on the way, just past Phang Nga there are some large limestone 'rocks', you see Buffalo grazing, on a nice day it's out on the open road!

nstroh Sep 9th, 2004 07:04 PM

James, that sounds perfect! I might be bothering with some more of these questions... you have been extremely helpful!

Thanks sooo much

nstroh Sep 9th, 2004 07:06 PM

I meant, I might be bothering you with some more questions (I didn't preview my reply)